Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM

61 posts, read 175,014 times

Advertisements

Im hoping someone can help me out here regarding move out/security deposit in VA

Here's the backstory- our lease was scheduled to end 7/31 because the owner was moving back to the area. Around the second week of July, the owner asked if we would be able to move out sooner. We responded that we could be out by 7/23. She also wanted to come measure for flooring before we vacated because she was replacing most if not all of it. They told us (in email) that we didn't have to clean the carpets since flooring was being replaced. We hired a professional maid of the property manager's choosing to do the move out cleaning. The only thing that wasn't done was the back yard wasn't mown (didn't have time since we had to move quickly). There was also a couple snags in the Berber carpet but since they were replacing it, no big deal. There were also nail holes in the wall and a few bolts. We were told not to do the spackling ourselves.
Because we moved out early, they said we were entitled to prorated rent (around $365). Now we are being told that they are withholding all security deposit ($1500) plus pet deposit ($250) plus our prorated rent. They are making us pay for new flooring (she was planning on replacing it no matter what- we didn't clean it because they told us not to bother), landscaping (I understand having to hire someone to mow but we are being charged for mulching, Ect. This was not in the lease). My question is can they withhold our prorated rent? I feel that they owe us because we had expenses due to moving out early and it wasn't part of the security deposit. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We left the place in as good condition as we found it minus the lawn..l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulylily View Post
...our lease was scheduled to end 7/31
Around the second week of July, the owner asked if we would be able to move out sooner.
We responded that we could be out by 7/23.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
We left the place in as good condition as we found it minus the lawn..l
The early move out week is drama... leave that aside for now.

Within X days of your moving out (typically 30 days) the LL is obliged to produce a written
accounting of what they are doing with your security deposit.

If they do NOT produce this IN WRITING or if you object to their perspective...
set that down in writing with your expectation or counter.

If you're still dissatisfied (and based on your comments there is a LOT to be dissatisfied about)...
you get some help and take them to Court.

But asking IN WRITING comes first.
Go from there.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
It shouldn't need saying but hang on to every single email and every single receipt and, if you took photographs (always a good precaution when moving in and out) keep them safely too.

You should find the VA landlord tenant laws linked in the first sticky on this page to verify the amount of time your LL legally has to either return your security deposit or provide written proof of any deductions. If they don't do what they're supposed to do I wouldn't waste too much time haggling with them. Just send them a return receipt certified letter simply stating your objections and (no emotional frills!) advising that if you don't hear from them within ten days from the date of the letter that you'll have no option but to seek redress through the court. Then in due course just do it. The procedure is very simple, and the court filing fee is minimal. Sounds as though you have an excellent case. Good luck, and hope it gets resolved easily!

Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Hi u took a sublessee in a collage town that aids students.
I moved into a4 bedroom apartment.
I am now in a tenant and landlord dispute regarding, a forced transfer from one location to the next.
I have to move out and into another unit.
I dissagree.
They are telling me they will terminate and start a legal process.
Ok now I feel like there is also herrasment and discrimination rights violation based off of age.
They have not cleaned carpeted the common areas such as the kitchen living room and my bedroom .
Other bedroom area such as the living room bathroom and all bedrooms have been cleaned refurnished and carpeted without notice.
Other tenants have been in my dwelling without notice with the landlord. Using my things to clean with.
They are forcing me to move out. The other tenants mom's have gotten together and teamed up with the landlord with this solution.
I was informed that I am too old to be with there sons. The landlord informed me that it is because of my age I have to move. They feel uncomfortable with me living there and they have not even moved in.
They have completed tasks without notice anything left other tasks partaining to me alone filthy and dirty.
There has been no communication whatsoever with any instruction except for one.
I sat down with the manager and the end result is now bieng disputed.
What is going on

Old 08-21-2018, 03:33 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
What is going on? The manager has discovered something about you that makes you undesirable as a tenant. You have been offered a different unit. You might as well take it and save yourself a lot of drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting