U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new here and need to ask a question that has been bothering me concerning my landlord. The house we're renting failed codes before we moved into the place and he said he was going to fix it up. He has people coming to work on the house (who are not real contractors) and they just show up when they please. He never calls us and warns when they are going to be at the house. One day they showed up at 6 am and I looked out the bedroom window and said no I have enough with him not telling me when they are coming basically and did not answer the door. The other day the landlord just shows up to the house out of the blue as well when I was on my way out of the house and told him I wouldn't be home all week until very late at night this week so if he would please tell me when they are coming to work on the house I would appreciate it. Well tonight around dinner time the only time I was home early.. they just showed up at the house (no phone call still keep in mind) and came right into the house! Said the landlord gave them a key and told them to "just walk into the place" if I wasn't home. I did not tell the Landlord he can do this and I do not trust these guys to begin with. One of them was looking over my shoulder as I was talking to my boyfriend on skype and asking me things like if I was cheating on him and ect ect. These guys creep me out and also always ask if I want to sell them some of my stuff or just give it to them. I also did not like he just gave them a key and told them to walk into the house. Is this illegal or no? Also shouldn't he be telling me when people are coming to work on the house? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,200,724 times
Go to the first "sticky" on this forum which addresses state landlord tenant laws. If your state isn't listed there, google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws". Read what it says about the notice your LL has to give you to enter the apartment. In most states the requirement is 24 hours notice, "unless in case of emergency" (which means fixing a broken water pipe, gas line, etc.)

When you find out exactly what your state law mandates, write your LL a letter via return receipt certified mail and let him know what the statute says. You're required to give him reasonable access to do maintenance but arrange these visits to coincide with times that you're home so that these "contractors" aren't there during your absence. Under no circumstances should he be giving a key to your apartment to anyone and telling them that they can come and go as they please. If they enter the apartment with a key again, you have every right to call the police and have them charged with trespassing. If they come without the required notice being given you can refuse them entry.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM

3,490 posts, read 18,783,492 times
Ditto. State laws mandate how and when a LL can enter. Follow your states remedies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting