Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

i just moved into a new place not too long ago and everything here is great, HOWEVER we have noticed we where not getting mail every week...maybe one or two things but not the amount we should be getting in an urban area that solicits.

we just let it go figuring we might be lucky enough to not get tons of junk mail here and called it that until we where actually waiting for tax returns and important letters. we had no idea what was going on weeks of asking our mail distro center if mail was being sent out here and getting frustrated later....we found out our mail was being delivered to the joined neighbors house and they where just not doing anything about it. we have talked to them and they have said they do not know anything about it....but we have had it confirmed by our mail carrier.

for the record we have started to get mail again, because the mail carrier is now aware he was making mistakes but we are still out on over a month of mail that includes my 2010 tax return check

besides the obvious reporting this to the police (i already have) should i also report them to out LL?
im not even sure this is his issue to be involved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
First get a PO box.

What did the police say when you reported that your 2010 tax return check was probably in the hands of your neighbors? What probably happened is they have tossed everything in the trash, unfortunately. Contact the IRS about this.

Yes, report it to your LL because if they do still have your mail, he can at least contact them "officiallly" and tell them to give it to you!

Since renters tend to move much more often than owners, I usually suggest that they get a PO box because the post office is not that good at making sure forwarded mail happens. I have found mail for people whom I know have filed a forwarding order, countless times. Or, like your situation, some idiot just throws it away instead of putting it back in the box with a note "Delivered to wrong address".

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Report your problem to the USPS. It is against federal law to keep someone else's mail. The post office will also do an investigation.
Notify IRS your check was stolen.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Does each unit have it's own mailbox?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Yes, report it to your LL because if they do still have your mail, he can at least contact them "officiallly" and tell them to give it to you!.
Even if the landlord is also the neighbor's landlord I don't think it's a good idea to involve him since withholding mail is a federal issue and not one over which the LL has any say.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Report your problem to the USPS. It is against federal law to keep someone else's mail. The post office will also do an investigation.
Notify IRS your check was stolen.
You can report it to the USPS, but unless they forged and cashed your IRS check, it's doubtful very much can or will be done. It gets to be a he said/she said problem and they can say they put it back in the mailbox for the carrier to redeliver and how can you prove they didn't?? Frustrating, I know, but I base this on working for the USPS for 29 years and spending 25 of it working daily with people with problems just like yours.

Another bit of advice: when you contact the IRS, simply tell them you have not received your refund check, rather than it was stolen. It may speed up the replacement process a bit. If the original check was cashed, you will be provided a copy and asked to sign an affidavit that it is not your signature and you did not receive any proceeds from that check. And you will get a replacement check.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Tenants have more problem with mail than most... part of it is multiple names over the years trace to one address... My parents still occasionally get mail for the person they bought their home from in 1969

I make sure each rental has either a locking mail box with the resident's name clearly displayed or mail drop into the unit.

I return so much mail... the post office has told me to stop it... no lie.

The question is how much should the neighbor care when sometimes the post office doesn't care?

Case in point, unless, I completely obliterate the mailing address, any returned mail will be back in the box in 48 hours... no matter how many it times return to sender is written on it.

Your best solution is making your regular carrier aware...

Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Tenants have more problem with mail than most... part of it is multiple names over the years trace to one address... My parents still occasionally get mail for the person they bought their home from in 1969

I make sure each rental has either a locking mail box with the resident's name clearly displayed or mail drop into the unit.

I return so much mail... the post office has told me to stop it... no lie.

The question is how much should the neighbor care when sometimes the post office doesn't care?

Case in point, unless, I completely obliterate the mailing address, any returned mail will be back in the box in 48 hours... no matter how many it times return to sender is written on it.

Your best solution is making your regular carrier aware...

Even that sometimes doesn't work I still get mail for other people even though the complex put a large sticker right in the box that clearly states " XXXX family only".

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
The post office will return First Class mail. But all others are really address delivered after awhile. So if you get a First Class letter for someone from 20 years ago, the carrier should be alerted. The reason you must let the carrier know is the name on the mailbox is secondary to the address because you can always have a guest that is authorized to receive their mail at your address. The carrier really has no way to know unless you tell them.

But there are many other classes of mail where even if it says Jane Doe on it and your Frank Smith, the class authorizes the carrier to leave it at the ADDRESS regardless of the name. So even if you say only the DOE's, for those classes, the name is nothing but "occupant" as far as the post office is concerned, so Smith. Jones, Doe, or Resident, it's all Occupant in their eyes. Just a tid bit of useless info.......

Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
One building would return a grocery sized paper bag each week to the carrier... he was not happy about it.

Another property was getting official government letters every week... IRS, State Franchise Board, Immigration, etc... the person getting the mail has never been a tenant or was related to the original owners...

I think sometimes, people just make up an address for employment purposes.

Another is when Parcel Post Packages are left... someone had signed up for Coffee of the week and every week a box was delivered with coffee... the person was unknown and the packages were not first class mail...

As someone already suggested... a local Post Office Box might be the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting