Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times

Advertisements

I'm meeting with a condo owner to sign a lease today and this is my first time renting from owner. I usually rent from corporate owned apartment complexes so I never really worried about getting scammed. I found the place on Craigslist.

How do I legally ensure that he is legit and will not run off with my security deposit or commit identity theft? Is there anything in the contract that I should make sure of to legally uphold him as the owner? He has all my personal info including social sec #, place of work, along with my girlfriends.

The guy and his wife were really nice people when I met them but I really don't know them apart from a can of paint. All I have is his phone number. He lists his address on the lease as a PO Box, which is understandable to protect his family and personal residence from potential angry tenants.

I don't want to offend him by asking for a copy of his ID or any personal info, I just want to make sure he is legally upheld on the lease to be the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Look up the local property tax records to see the owner's name. If the owner's name is the same as the person your talking with, prably a good deal. The only real assurance you get is his ID to be sure he is the person. Ask the neighbors to be sure he is who he says he is.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I assume he actually let you in to view the place. That is one clue, when you have to rent sight unseen.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times
I looked up the property tax records and the records do say that it is him. He did let me inside the unit last week.

He seems legit but I just want to make sure my ass is covered before I hand him the check and sign the lease

Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
...I just want to make sure my ass is covered before I hand him the check and sign the lease
Have your attorney review the lease.
The biggest concerns are "amateurism" on their part and condo rules.
The rest (98% of any lease) is about restating what the law allows or provides for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting