Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 44,185 times

Advertisements

I know this has been posted on a little before. But, I'm unsure of what to do. A little backstory. I have two small children, one is 6 years old, the other is a 11 months old. My husband and I have lived in our house for 4 years now. 3 of those years, we have told our landlord there's a wasp problem. Every year, without fail, they get in the attic and get in the house. He won't do anything about it. Rather, he claims he's fixed the problem, but it comes back every year. I'm beyond mad now, all he does is gripe us out because maybe once every year, our grass gets too long. Sorry, but we both work, have school, and other obligations that keep us pretty busy. The last time he came over, I had gotten up at 7 am to mow the yard, got done and rushed to get ready for church. Hours later, he comes over and complains about the grass clippings on our driveway and tells me that we need to use our blower to blow them off. I say, we don't have one. He says, well, what you do is, you go get one for $20. We're on a limited teacher budget. I just started working and won't get a check until the end of next month.

Is there anything we can do? We've told him many times about the problem with the wasp, and he only says to spray to kill them. Shouldn't he be doing something to prevent them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Do you have like 2-3 or a whole mess of them ?

You can't prevent them. Buy a $4 can of Wasp spray, find their nest and spray them. It should not be that hard.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM

It's a nest. We see about 5 and more around our roof near my son's room everyday.

Oh, and to further complicate things, my husband is unwilling to confront him about it since he's afraid the guy will evict us. We're no longer on a contract, we're going month to month.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouspeed View Post
...for 4 years now. 3 of those years, we have told our landlord there's a wasp problem.
Is there anything we can do?
Step 1 is to complain in writing or don't complain at all.

Quote:
...he only says to spray to kill them.
If spraying solves the problem... he's done.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
If you have a huge colony in your attick its one thing.........but if you have a few small nests you get the spray and take care of it. Wasps are an easy kill. The spray shoots like 20 feet.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Sprays not working, they come back. Landlord's promised every year to take care of it, but never does. Last Sunday he said he would deal with it, but I've been watching them fly in to our attic.

Oh, and hubby's going to have a talk with him. But he wants to make sure we're following the lease agreement too. So, LL won't have a reason to evict us.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouspeed View Post
Sprays not working, they come back. Landlord's promised every year to take care of it, but never does. Last Sunday he said he would deal with it, but I've been watching them fly in to our attic.

Oh, and hubby's going to have a talk with him. But he wants to make sure we're following the lease agreement too. So, LL won't have a reason to evict us.

If you're on a month to month contract, he doesn't need a reason to evict. He just has to give you notice.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
You can't prevent wasps from coming back! You can't kill every wasp within 100 miles of your house and expect to never see one again. Spray the nests as soon as you notice them.

An invasion of termites or carpenter ants, sure, a LL or owner is going to take care of that, but routine pest control is normally the responsibility of the tenant, especially on single family homes.

And after 4 years I would expect that you are very familiar with your lease agreement. If not, read it again.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
You would be wise to spray for these yourself. Typically when you rent a home, the renter is responsible for pest control such as this. It's not like an apartment complex where the landlord handles pest control and landscaping.

Your landlord can ask you to move and simply give a 30 day notice. It's not technically called an eviction. Eviction is where they go to court and get force you out for breaking the lease in some way. Eviction is very bad on your record. I am sure you meant to say that he can give you 30 day notice to move out since you are on month to month.

I think you should handle the wasps each year on your own and dont say a word to him about the wasps.

And when he complains about the grass, smile and ignore and say "ok". Blowers dont cost 20 dollars. You can use a broom for the obvious areas (just to make him happy when he is coming over) or run the mower over the sidewalk so the grass blows into the yard. You really dont have to do this unless the clippings are addressed in the lease. but since month to month, you want to try to keep relationship with the landlord as good as possible. he sounds picky about the grass. so smile and act like you give a darn.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I'd be looking for a new home. You're on a month to month, there is no lease, and all he has to do is give you notice to vacate.

It's not that hard to mow a yard. You can do it yourself or hire some high school kid to do it. If you can't handle the upkeep of a home then you need to find an apartment.

As for the wasps...they are your problem unless they were there when you moved in. Call a pro to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting