Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,689 times

Advertisements

I pay my rent through paypal. All I need is my landlady's email address, my bank account is set up through PayPal, as is hers, I get an email receipt immediately when the rent is paid, she gets an email notifying her that she received money. PayPal is free as long as we are using bank accounts rather than debit/credit cards, there's pretty much no security risk, it's quick and easy. We've never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersb View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone!

For those of you that have tenants deposit the rents into your bank acct, are you concerned about them having access to your account number?
If you write a check, your account number AND routing number is on the bottom of your check.

It's not like it's a super secret number.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM

32 posts, read 189,187 times
I collect my tenants' rent in person each month. This gives me the opportunity to check on my properties and their upkeep.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
I have a property manager. They received a direct deposit from the tenant then send me a direct deposit by the 10th of each month.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 AM

80 posts, read 222,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you write a check, your account number AND routing number is on the bottom of your check.

It's not like it's a super secret number.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

True, good point.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
True, good point.
And, if you're still concerned, you can open an account just for receiving rents.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM

221 posts, read 335,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septuagenarian View Post
I have my good friend Guido Maldonado collect all rents in person.

Gotta love that technique, eh? Nothing ever late

I have a biker buddy with a really crazed look in his eye and carrying a baseball bat make the rounds for me

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM

107 posts, read 201,318 times
Default Clearnow.com

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the landlord world. Hopefully my investment property will be available for rent within a month.

I'm curious... what would be the best way to collect monthly rent? Paper check/money order mailed in, or some type of draft either with a credit card or checking acct.

How do those drafting services work and how much do they cost?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
I use Clear Now. Its an online acct. They register their name and acct info, and submit it. I enroll my info with clear now. They do the transaction. I have no access to their bank, nor them mine. It costs 14.95 a month. I have used it as a tenant and as a landlord.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
I have a checking account for each of my properties at a major bank. Tenants go to the bank or transfer funds directly into my account for their unit.

I don't pay any additional fees from the banks, and I get instant emails when payments are made. Cut and dry, black and white as to when the payment was made. There is no lag between payment sent and payment received. Quick and simple.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
My landlord picks up out checks from a workbench in the basement of our apartment on the 1st of every month. I'm not entirely comfortable with the arrangement since we share a basement with our hostile downstairs neighbors, but our landlord refuses to give us an address or PO box to deliver the checks to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting