Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry you are going through this.

There are many people living like you are and not everyone is a screw up.

I hope you get something soon to change your situation.

All I can say is that when you do get a job, try to save a little each month so you have a cushion in case this happens again. You can learn to cook to save $ and live without cable.

Get all the government help you can, though it may be hard as a single person. Don't be too proud. Apply for help.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I'm sorry you are going through this.

There are many people living like you are and not everyone is a screw up.

I hope you get something soon to change your situation.

All I can say is that when you do get a job, try to save a little each month so you have a cushion in case this happens again. You can learn to cook to save $ and live without cable.

Get all the government help you can, though it may be hard as a single person. Don't be too proud. Apply for help.

I don't think I can live without cable I may have to get a retail job because I need cable in my life so I won't be in the Delaware River-lol

Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think I can live without cable I may have to get a retail job because I need cable in my life so I won't be in the Delaware River-lol
Shelter matters more than cable. If you are not able to keep an apartment, what in the world would the tv be connected to?

Yes, this is happening to many, but you need to get your priorities straight, and when cable comes up at the top of a list, they are off by a mile.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
30 mins is the limit in the library, Goobye

I happen to know that there are branches to the main library in Philly. Since you have no job to put in time at, and will shortly be without a place to live, you'll have even more time to roam from library to library. I bet you could get in some serious time that way.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I happen to know that there are branches to the main library in Philly. Since you have no job to put in time at, and will shortly be without a place to live, you'll have even more time to roam from library to library. I bet you could get in some serious time that way.
But that would take initiative. This is TVSG, after all, the one who thought employers who called before 9:55 should not expect an answer.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM

11 posts, read 16,137 times
I don't wish to sound unsympathetic but when you sign a lease you are creating a contract to pay the agreed upon amount for the entire term. Unless there was something in the lease about breaking it early, you are bound by law to pay for the remaining term. It isn't your landlords fault that you have no more income. With that said, I seriously hope your landlord is understanding and will attempt to work something out with you. Obviously if the money isn't there, it isn't there. If he/she is a good landlord they will attempt to look for a new tenant right away to relieve you of the lease. If not they will probably evict you for non-payment of rent then sue you in small claims court.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlovespi View Post
I don't wish to sound unsympathetic but when you sign a lease you are creating a contract to pay the agreed upon amount for the entire term. Unless there was something in the lease about breaking it early, you are bound by law to pay for the remaining term. It isn't your landlords fault that you have no more income. With that said, I seriously hope your landlord is understanding and will attempt to work something out with you. Obviously if the money isn't there, it isn't there. If he/she is a good landlord they will attempt to look for a new tenant right away to relieve you of the lease. If not they will probably evict you for non-payment of rent then sue you in small claims court.

Why would there even be a need for a small claims court if I have proof of no income on top of paying rent every month for six years? I could really see myself going crazy and losing it if the landlord gives me a hard time. Would not be a pretty situation for them at all

Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 16,137 times
Quote:
Why would there even be a need for a small claims court if I have proof of no income on top of paying rent every month for six years? I could really see myself going crazy and losing it if the landlord gives me a hard time. Would not be a pretty situation for them at all
Because, just because you can't afford to pay, doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to the lease you signed. They can take you to court to collect on unpaid rent.

With that said, if you did pay rent every month, on time, for 6 years, I am hoping they would be understanding of your situation and help you out, but you need to stop expecting them to bend over backwards for you. Your problem is not their problem.

Even my income isn't guaranteed for the length of my lease term, however I understand that I am responsible for it up until the end of it. Yeah, I might lose my job and be unable to pay rent, and I accept the fact I might be sued and possibly lose everything. That's life.

After all this tough love I do hope you find a job soon. It's tough out there.

PS: If you think you will "lose it" on them if they make a deal out of it, I suggest you seek help for that first. You don't need to make a bad situation worse...

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Ah but you see, the landlord needs to get his money. If he wins in court (likely in this case), he can attach your wages. Right, you aren't working...now. But at some point in time, you will get a job and the LL doesn't have to enforce the the decision until you DO have some income to attach.

In the meantime, the eviction goes on your credit report and you don't want that because it means it will be very difficult to find a new rental when you finally can afford one. Your LL is not in business to lost money. Despite 6 years of being a good tenant, you have to continue to pay the rent. All your previous 6 years gives you is the last 6 years of having had a decent place to live - Add a quarter and maybe you can make a phone call.

Solomon, it is in your best interests to take any kind of job - retail, McDonald's, whatever you need to do to find a job. AOL has a list today of companies hiring: Sears is one and I know there's a Sears somewhere near you. Contact the hotels, apply for ANY position - janitor, dishwasher, laundry.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
A judgement is public and can be renewed in my State... so, a diligent creditor can recover the amount, interest and fees even decades later...

A business associate was assaulted by a man that broke his glasses... the guy had too much to drink.

My associate collected 17 years later when the guy was trying to buy a home...

Just be careful you don't push your Landlord too hard... it's not unheard of for a Landlord to loose it when being pushed around by a tenant...

So far... there is nothing I've read that said the Landlord has been anything but above board...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting