Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 47,716 times

Advertisements

So my fiancé and I recently moved from a "multifamily" housing complex (they called them townhomes, but they were basically small, 900sq ft, 2 story 2 bedroom apartments with no basement) to a homeowner townhome community in a better part of town.

The houses were built in the mid 90s, and they are typical wood frame construction townhomes. 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath. About double the sq footage we had at our old place. We are renting from the owner of the house who bought it in 2007 from the original owner. The landlord/owner is a young lady who recently moved in with her significant other and is renting out her house. The house is PERFECT for us, and we love pretty much everything about it. Before we moved in, we asked the landlord/owner if she ever hears the neighbors on either side. She said no, never. As a matter of fact, she said she doesn't think the (offending) neighbor ever even has any guests over.

We moved in on Saturday Sept 1. The following Saturday (Sept 8) I started hearing loud bass around 4pm from the offending neighbor. My fiance was out of town, so I dealt with the noise because I was busy unpacking and such. The bass stopped around 8pm. The next day (Sunday) at 9:30am I was awoken by what I thought was a thunderstorm. Upon further investigation, it was the bass from our the neighbor. The bass continued all day, literally. 9:30am until we went to bed at 10:30pm. My fiance was so upset and disgusted Sunday evening that we resorted to eating dinner and watching TV in our master bedroom, with the door closed, and the master bathroom sink running to try and drown out the bass.

I believe they were watching movies or football or video games. The bass is absolutely overwhelming and we can hear it in EVERY ROOM of our house, including in a RUNNING shower!

We emailed the owner/landlord asking her if this was common and if she had been dishonest with us. She assured us that this is a new thing and she has NEVER heard anything of the sorts in her 5 years of living there. She suggested we go next door and talk to them.

So Monday when I got home from work I was standing on my deck and noticed that said neighbor had an empty box for a new Harmon Kardon home theater near their trash.

The neighbors got home from work around 6:15pm and by 6:30 we could hear/feel the bass.

So my fiancé and I went next door and spoke to the girl. We were very polite and friendly. She said she just got the home theater system on Saturday because the neighbors on her other side party a lot and blast their music and she needed to drown them out. She told us that it used to be a young couple that lived there, they split up, and now the guy lives there by himself and is always partying with his buddies. So her problem is now my problem. She said she was clueless as to how to turn it down and had to wait for her boyfriend to get home from the Ravens game. Meanwhile we got to listen to the Ravens game from her home theater the rest of the night (delayed 5 mins, she must've been watching on DVR)

Tuesday night we heard more bass, and once again, we spent the evening in our bedroom with the door closed and TV turned up to try and drown out the bass.

We weren't home until late last night so I have no idea of the noise continued.

So today is our 13th day in the new place and we're really questioning wether we want to stay here or not.

Since these are all individually owned houses, I don't know how much pull/clout my landlord will have over their noise. She pretty much as nothing to threaten with other than calling the police, or contacting the homeowners association. I read the HOA by-laws and covenant and the only thing mentioned about noise is external (no speakers outside, or car stereo blasting) and the only thing mentioned about the shared/party wall is that if it's damaged, it's up to each side to repair said damages.

I understand in Maryland there's an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, but in this situation the landlord cannot guarantee that since she has no power over the neighbors.

So my fiancé are starting to weigh our options.

#1. Continue to ask the neighbors to turn it down every time we hear it. I hate confrontation and this would drive us nuts. Hope and pray they are respectful people and turn off their subwoofer/home theater after we ask enough times.
#2. Bring my home theater home from my storage unit and blast it to drown out their noise (She thinks the bass is bad coming from 1 neighbor, imagine if she got it from both sides!)
#3. Ask the landlord if we can back out of the lease, pack up all the stuff we've unpacked and move.

I don't know what to do. My fiancé is in tears almost every evening because she is so upset. This is one of the main reasons we moved. In her mind we're better off living where we used to live, paying half as much, for the same quality of life (albeit with less space).

WHAT DO I DO?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Has the couple next door spoken to their neighbor who's blasting them out? Maybe now they know that their retaliatory noise is bothering you they'll take better action but your post was a little premature in that regard.

If you don't get any relief and/or your neighbors don't get any relief then you both need to address your concerns in writing to your respective landlords with copy to the HOA board. Your option #1 doesn't have to be a "confrontation". Both your neighbors' reaction in buying a loud home theater system and yours (option #2) to even contemplate doing the same is, well, ridiculous. If everybody in the complex did the same thing nobody would have a moment's peace! Option #3 is again premature. Hopefully you can sort this all out civilly so that everyone can enjoy their space. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
My mom had this problem. One of her neighbors bought a new tv/sound system, and she could hear just the bass everywhere in her house (the house in question was approximately 150 away, across 2 large backyards). She went over to see the neighbor to talk to them about it, and the TV wasn't even that loud in their house and the bass wasn't noticibly loud. Because of the way sound travels, she was actually hearing the bass louder in her house than they were in their house. They were able to fix the problem to everyone's satisfaction. I believe they adjusted the settings on their sound system AND turned the sound system so it was at a slightly different angle.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
You live in multi-family housing. Comes with the territory. I lived in all sorts of dorms/condos/apartments. Noise problems in every single one. Didn't get any peace until I moved into a single family house.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 31,037 times
I sympathise with you. I currently live in the type of apartment you used to live in and my neighbors spend the days and nights slamming the front door. We hear our neighnors music next door as well and sometimes shakes our walls. Good luck and hope you make a good decision.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,835 times
so why is the system on YOUR shared walls side? It would be much better if she had it on the other wall ..

Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
you should visit a store that sells sound equipment/electronics. See what they suggest. Or google. There must be some foam type stuff you could put against the wall that could soak up most of the sound. Those black/gray foam block looking things. There is probably better stuff on the market for homes that doesnt look bad. Even if you have to have a 10ftx 8 foot setion, it might be fairly cheap and worth it.

sound does get soaked up by stuff. Like carpet and drapes and furniture. The more tile and wood and and hard surfaces, the worse the sound is. This is why the sound catching stuff is foam.

I did a few web searches and found a company that sells stuff. There were many products that showed up on google. This is just one of them

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/

Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubweiser View Post
WHAT DO I DO?
Your community must have noise ordinances. Call the cops and let them explain the neighbor's options to her. She can file her complaint while they are processing yours.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
You live in multi-family housing. Comes with the territory. I lived in all sorts of dorms/condos/apartments. Noise problems in every single one. Didn't get any peace until I moved into a single family house.
Having a surround system or anything else that has loud bass is extremely inconsiderate while living in a shared dwelling.

Dealing with, for example, the people upstairs walking around on hardwood floors, exercising, doing work to their home, is normal and expected, but loud bass? Move to the ghetto if you want to play loud bass.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I agree 100% with this. If you truly want quiet SFH is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting