Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times

Advertisements

Because many tenants are complete a-holes. My dad rented out the house I grew up in and he had a tenant who moved in with half a dozen of her relatives... then after a while the rent started coming in late and then it stopped. After he had her evicted, he went inside and found that there were holes knocked in the walls, ceiling fans and light fixtures ripped out, paint all over the floor, and it looked like someone took a hammer to the bathtub and commode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
If everyone became a landlord there would be no one to rent to.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
so go become a landlord. and while youre at it why don't you brush up on how you speak to people

why would you want everyone else to become a landlord when you seem to think it's so easy that you can become one yourself?

most renters are not in a position to buy property, hence cannot become landlords.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Agree to a point... that said... for what people pay for rent here in San Francisco, most could easily own elsewhere...

It is it is almost always possible to rent in a better area than one could afford to buy...

My friends had a very comfortable home... school district was mediocre... the district 10 minutes away had top rated public schools.

They decided to rent out their nice home in the not so good school district and became renters in the excellent school district and did this for 6 years and then, with their daughter in college.... moved back into their own home.

The flip side of the coin is many have tried Landlording and fail miserably...

Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
landlording is only passive and grief free until it isn't. Then because you are generally leveraged and Not liquid it can be a horror when things go wrong as they eventually do.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
most renters are not in a position to buy property, hence cannot become landlords.

Some. Some renters, less than most, cannot afford to buy. There are many, many renters who could very easily buy a home, but choose to rent.

I've always been a home owner. I went from my parents home to my own home at 19yrs old. We lived in that house for a long time, sold it, made a killing and moved up north.

It wasn't until 6 yrs ago that we began renting. We relocated back to the area, sold our home up north, decided to rent because the area changed so much. We planned on renting for year and then building or buying, but have come to really enjoy renting. We still own a home (outside the US) but right now, renting works.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Agree to a point... that said... for what people pay for rent here in San Francisco, most could easily own elsewhere...

It is it is almost always possible to rent in a better area than one could afford to buy...

My friends had a very comfortable home... school district was mediocre... the district 10 minutes away had top rated public schools.

They decided to rent out their nice home in the not so good school district and became renters in the excellent school district and did this for 6 years and then, with their daughter in college.... moved back into their own home.

The flip side of the coin is many have tried Landlording and fail miserably...

In the early '90s there was an AP story which claimed at the time it was more expensive (at the median) to rent than to own. There have always been many people who would save money (pay less than rent) by owning, but have barriers (e.g. insufficient income or down payment, bad credit) which preclude buying.

Ten years ago, I could not afford to buy; as a result, today I cannot afford to rent.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Some. Some renters, less than most, cannot afford to buy. There are many, many renters who could very easily buy a home, but choose to rent.

I've always been a home owner. I went from my parents home to my own home at 19yrs old. We lived in that house for a long time, sold it, made a killing and moved up north.

It wasn't until 6 yrs ago that we began renting. We relocated back to the area, sold our home up north, decided to rent because the area changed so much. We planned on renting for year and then building or buying, but have come to really enjoy renting. We still own a home (outside the US) but right now, renting works.

Studies and surveys show that most renters would prefer to own.

All real estate is local, and all economies are temporal.

Your Mileage May Vary

Old 06-13-2015, 02:30 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
in the tristate area folks could afford to buy decades ago. homes were 35k and mortgages were 250 bucks. our rent was only 189.00 so that was a lot of money .

well those homes are paid off and real estate taxes are 15-20k a year so it is not any more affordable because you paid off a 250 a month mortgage. people still have to move out by retirement as that paid off mortgage is like peeing in the ocean compared to all the other expenses .

rental markets can only just get so much , markets do not care what your personal costs are and so renting can be cheaper today in these parts ..

our rent is cheaper than buying and that has kept us from buying again all these years.

we did far better renting where we live and investing in Manhattan real estate.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-13-2015 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Because many tenants are complete a-holes. My dad rented out the house I grew up in and he had a tenant who moved in with half a dozen of her relatives... then after a while the rent started coming in late and then it stopped. After he had her evicted, he went inside and found that there were holes knocked in the walls, ceiling fans and light fixtures ripped out, paint all over the floor, and it looked like someone took a hammer to the bathtub and commode.

Got statistics on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting