Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,060,699 times

Advertisements

IF I have a mortgage on a home I am renting, and i just want to get rid of it. I dont want to be a homeowner right now anymore, is there a way to do take over payments and that the tenant be responsible for the mortgage, the property taxes, hoa fees and everything else???? Even if I dont profit anything and probably wouldnt in this economy. But piece of mind is far more valuable than assets. You can't put a price on that.

I know you can do that with other items but dont know if you can with a home. Just curious. My tenant loves the home but due to her credit and not being in her profession long the banks will not give her a loan. I am to the point where I would just give it back to the bank. Some have said the american dream is home ownership, but honestly I dont feel that. The house i own is gorgeous, but I have no attatchment to it and I want to get rid of it, the tenant is currently living there.

I thought about rent to own but that is too complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,876,038 times
The only way to do it would be to have a lawyer draw up the transfer to the tenant. You may have to keep it in your name until the tenant gets enough credit to buy it. A lawyer is the only way you will get a good answer. Make sure you get a real estate lawyer.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,060,699 times
tHANK YOU SHANE. I THINK I WILL JUST KEEP IT, MAINTAIN AND PRAY FOR A BETTER MARKET

Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times
At one time some VA loans were fully assumable... no qualifying... had a FHA like that once... rates were dropping so we did not even try...

Lawyer could draft a contract of sale... not common around here because both parties are still tied to each other...

Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,712,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
IF I have a mortgage on a home I am renting, and i just want to get rid of it. I dont want to be a homeowner right now anymore, is there a way to do take over payments and that the tenant be responsible for the mortgage, the property taxes, hoa fees and everything else???? Even if I dont profit anything and probably wouldnt in this economy. But piece of mind is far more valuable than assets. You can't put a price on that.

I know you can do that with other items but dont know if you can with a home. Just curious. My tenant loves the home but due to her credit and not being in her profession long the banks will not give her a loan. I am to the point where I would just give it back to the bank. Some have said the american dream is home ownership, but honestly I dont feel that. The house i own is gorgeous, but I have no attatchment to it and I want to get rid of it, the tenant is currently living there.

I thought about rent to own but that is too complicated.
Sorry but I can't follow people anymore...you signed the papers and now your play tool is not fun anymore so you want to get rid of it...

I hope lenders will go after owners for the difference because the rest of us is doing the right thing and also are under water or lost money on paper just like you...ON paper you lost money but if you wait it can come back!

if you don't wait then the consequences are for you and just like for anybody else...I don't care if you have to pay taxes on the difference and/or your credit score will be shot....

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times
Values in the SF Bay Area are rebounding and it has made some rethink walking away...

The funny thing is I know a couple that could now sell for what they owe... they were planning to walk.

Now that property is ticking up in price, they decided to stay put when all they had been talking about the last two years was how to get out

Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,995,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Sorry but I can't follow people anymore...you signed the papers and now your play tool is not fun anymore so you want to get rid of it...

I hope lenders will go after owners for the difference because the rest of us is doing the right thing and also are under water or lost money on paper just like you...ON paper you lost money but if you wait it can come back!

if you don't wait then the consequences are for you and just like for anybody else...I don't care if you have to pay taxes on the difference and/or your credit score will be shot....

They will pay. A 1099 is sent to the IRS declaring that difference as an income and they are taxed on it. Lenders are also suing for the difference as well...and they should be.

Buyers willing signed for loans that they KNEW they couldn't afford and they now they are crying that the lenders duped them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting