Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 AM

10 posts, read 71,033 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment community and my neighbor upstairs is awake whole night. His walks makes crack sound on his floor(my ceiling) and it is very loud especially in the dead of the night. If he drops something it would sound as if it will break right through into my apartment! His girlfriend would come over in the evening. Before speaking to this guy upstairs, I waited for 2 months, thinking that it would be bad time for him. But it continued. At midnight, he would fill his bathtub and possibly goes to bath. When I spoke with him, it was half an hour after the bath tub noise, he looked fresh and dressed up in jeans and shirt. Between 2 and 7 am, they will have couple rounds of sex, each lasting about an hour or so . At 8:30am he would go to his work. His gf leaves a little before him. Comes back in the evening around 5. A little later his gf would arrive. And then it will continues till morning. I am amazed that he hardly gets any sleep, maybe 2 hrs. And this happens every single day. I called police tonite but instead of ringing his bell the officer ranged my bell. Officer went away saying he can't do anything as the guy upstairs is doing what he wants in his home, which is true. But my problem remains.

Some of my friends in the apartment community has faced similar situation but not the whole night episode. They were lucky to find neighbors who would go to sleep by midnight. I spoke with Apartment management and they would send a regular quiet time notice.

I have never studied anyone as closely as this guy, almost stalking. I would really like to ring his door bell when he sleeps which I believe is between 5 and 7 am, but that wouldn't be quite right and I might land up in trouble. The other option is to move to 2nd floor apartment. Can I leave this apartment community and break my lease on the basis of no action from the management and get my security deposit back. Has anyone done this before? I am left with 2 more months on this lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
I lived beneath a very nice woman about 5 years ago, and she would walk around on her hardwood floors with (what I imaged were) clogs. Stomp, stomp, stomp all night long....it was horrible.

The problem is that the issue is with the building/apartment, not the person. I wouldn't suggest you wake him up or do anything to him because he's doing nothing wrong, other than living differently than you. I would suggest that you fill your bedroom with some white noise (or listen to earphones if you prefer), and stake it out for another two months when you can move to another apartment. This is a big reason I won't live beneath anyone if I can help it.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
rule #1 of apartment living...never, ever, ever live on the bottom floor, always live on the very top floor. I had a similar problem (I live in another city) and finally the apartment complex moved me into another unit on the top floor. Ironially, the noise-makers ended up moving out about 6 weeks later anyway. If you can't move, keep in mind that people like that hardly ever stay in a place for very long...I'd start making some noise of your own for awhile Maybe they don't even realize you can hear everything they do....

Have you spoken to management about moving to another unit?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM

55 posts, read 132,454 times
Live and learn, unfortunately. I echo: NEVER EVER EVER lease an apartment with units above you, if you can help it.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 71,033 times
It seems management office doesn't listen until one makes 5 complaints. Eventually they did feel pity on us. I had to take the whole family to the office with long faces to convince them. Fortunately, One of the tenant upstairs has moved out. And management has allowed us to move into that. I'm shifting this weekend :-)
We come from a hot country and I love winters here except that it drags too long. Top floor apartments gets too hot during summers-thats why I prefer lower ones. But I bet nothing beats having a sound sleep at night. Next week onwards, I will be sharing the bedroom wall with my up stair neighbors. Hopefully, it will not be that noisy. Thank you all for understanding my sufferings - it really makes a difference.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 23,578 times
Default you're not alone.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I am very surprised to have found all you guys here, thought I am running alone a tough luck with my sensitive imagination - I somehow know I AM the decent, sane and normal person not thewoman living above me - one of those complete psychotic crazed mental peopleliving amongst us - and most disturbingly- not just mentally ill sad ordepressant - but aggressive with extremely vile personality and intentions aimto hurt and take advantage of your insecurity at every move, gesture, soundfrom you in response - they get excited because that's how they stay alive -the nasty creatures of the dark like vampires sucking up positive energy everytime you lose it to them in your distress, in your struggle, in each moment ofyour weakening, they get stronger - these creatures rely on that to stay alive- they have nothing to love, nothing to live, nothing to rely on - nothing GOODin their lives to supply them with the energy they need to sustain themselvesin their human skin - but they can not win - IF YOU DON'T GIVE IN ! - holdyourself together, be stronger than ever - live behave celebrate your life asyou must - toughen yourself up - grow your skin thicker - to shield yourselffrom that hostility - that assault - IGNORE them - just as you would againstany evil bully in this world - if no other housing option presently availableto you - be strong my friends - they have a network of theirs - we are togetherin ours and we shall together crush them like the lifeless worthless littlebugs they are - until they are choked off of air supply - and they will shrinkand the sound of disturbance will slowly disappear in your ears and wiped offfrom this good universe - and they will be weakened in their own action - theywill pay for everything they do to other good people - no happy endings - neverhappy endings to these nasty things above or underneath us - you will prevailif you stand up hold your grounds hold your peace within and guard it untilnothing can make a ripple in that limpid pool
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I am right now dealing with a vile nearly evil older woman living above me - this is my first apartment - I have practiced to finally build up my skins around me North, South, East, West to have this boundary in my will in my heart and spirit - I have not yet developed one above me - and right away I was given this challenge to have an opportunity togrow even better, fuller, up and down - Yes, this woman follows me aroundlistens to me studies me like a hawk, she drags furniture right into where youare, drop it off, stumps like a mad animal wherever you moving to, she is therein your silence and she wakes up when you are not - and she coughs the nastiestcoughs only belong to a wild animal so vile in sound and instinct in betweeneach and every of her assault to mark her presence – my folks have been tellingme to live it – and I am trying – and how amazing it is to know you CAN and itmakes you stronger and better !
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
and I refuse to give in, I ampracticing collecting reserving holding in every drop of my good being, myprecious positive energy and I refuse to give in and give away to that kind,she will not have one drop I know she is thirty for - it means no response - nocommunication - not any type of energy exchange -you say NO in your spirit,knowing what she is what they are and you stay your ground in your being tochoke her, choke them to death cutting off their air supply - your positiveenergy - until the air is clear - all the disturbance subside, sky is truly blue and clear in the voice ofchildren playing and birds sing and you are no longer bothered in your heartmind and soul, and you will know WE, all the good of us have come togetherfinally and we won!
[SIZE=3]Good luck to you to me, to all the decent, sweet best human instincts and kind of people.. [/SIZE]

Last edited by davekd; 08-05-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
^^^ It would really help readability if you would leave the preset fonts as they are and create better paragraphs. In any event, after wading through it, it seems you don't have a new or related question but are just commenting on an old thread.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
You have more patience than I, STT. No way in heck I could wade through the muck.

"ampracticing collecting reserving holding" and "choke them to death cutting off their air supply - your positiveenergy" WHAT?

nonsense.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You have more patience than I, STT. No way in heck I could wade through the muck.

"ampracticing collecting reserving holding" and "choke them to death cutting off their air supply - your positiveenergy" WHAT?

nonsense.
I know. I'm waiting for a batch of cranberry whole wheat bread to rise and procrastinating over a dozen more projects!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
I agree with everyone who said not to ever live below someone. I learned that the hard way....I have lived in two apartments that were below someone, and both were nightmares. I should have learned after the first time but like they say, a person who doesn't learn from their mistakes is doomed to repeat them. Here I am in a first floor condo with the same issues i had in my first apartment that was a first floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting