U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,321 posts, read 5,933,731 times
Reputation: 4003

Advertisements

My apartment recently had a water heater leak through a ceiling and down two floors of our apartment. There is now mold growing on the ceiling in the basement bathroom. There was mold in the upstairs pantry for a while too. My landlord is claiming that the house is 100 years old and the mold was there when he lived there. He said it isn't toxic and doesn't need to be torn out, that Killz and some paint will fix the issue. Does this sound valid to you? How does he REALLY know it isn't toxic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 65,043,866 times
Reputation: 26620
Maybe he had it tested once before. The bottom line is that only a very small percentage of mold is toxic. If you're concerned you can buy a toxic mold testing kit and send it off to a lab for analysis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,321 posts, read 5,933,731 times
Reputation: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe he had it tested once before. The bottom line is that only a very small percentage of mold is toxic. If you're concerned you can buy a toxic mold testing kit and send it off to a lab for analysis.
I extremely doubt he tested it. In the case that he hasn't, which he never mentioned he has. Who is responsible for finding out for sure?

How much are those kits?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
 
16,379 posts, read 20,474,422 times
Reputation: 14327
maybe it's mildew.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 65,043,866 times
Reputation: 26620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I extremely doubt he tested it. In the case that he hasn't, which he never mentioned he has. Who is responsible for finding out for sure?

How much are those kits?
I'd say it's your responsibility given that in only a very small percentage of cases does it turn out that such mold is toxic. If it did turn out to be toxic mold then your local health department would probably get involved to do further testing and you'd likely have to move at least temporarily with your LL bearing some of that cost.

You can google, "mold testing kits" and find plenty of them. Home Depot carries them as do most hardware stores and they run under $10 with results in 48 hours. sware2cod is probably right in that it's just mildew ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,954,146 times
Reputation: 2369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
My apartment recently had a water heater leak through a ceiling and down two floors of our apartment. There is now mold growing on the ceiling in the basement bathroom. There was mold in the upstairs pantry for a while too. My landlord is claiming that the house is 100 years old and the mold was there when he lived there. He said it isn't toxic and doesn't need to be torn out, that Killz and some paint will fix the issue. Does this sound valid to you? How does he REALLY know it isn't toxic?
Because he stayed at a holiday inn last night and by virtue of being a landlord he is a doctor too and because landlords know everything of course.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 29,641,264 times
Reputation: 3783
I would have about 0 worries that a couple layers of Kilz won't handle the issue. If it was toxic, you'd be sick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM
 
127 posts, read 182,780 times
Reputation: 145
The only way to tell if it is toxic is to take a sample of the mold, grow a culture and have it tested to discover the species. Both toxic mold and non-toxic mold can make you sick. Kilz won't handle the problem.

The only way to cure the problem is usually removal. Any removal needs to be done by someone familiar with mold and also done by a lead safe certified firm (lead based paint precautions).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Florida
22,654 posts, read 23,310,907 times
Reputation: 26775
Kilz doesn't kill mold/mildew It 'kills' stains, including those made after cleaning mold.

It's possible there is mold behind the ceiling but from a short term leak, cleaning with a mildewcide or a Clorox &water mixture will usually take care of the problem

Clean it up properly and see if it returns.
If it does, the LL needs to get involved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,350 times
Reputation: 10
mold always grows on wet things.if you fix from where the water is leaking.the mold will go automatically
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top