Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM

332 posts, read 529,324 times

Advertisements

state - texas
non-taa lease

apt complex has it noted on the lease that requests should be made in person. apt complex was notified over a month ago that the switch on the breaker for the kitchen keeps tripping when 2 or more appliances are in use. land lord tried to blame appliances, however appliances are less than a year old.

land lord and maintenance person have stated that the breaker box is 15 amp and that these are no longer in production, hence the delay in replacing it. land lord states that a 20 amp box may need to be installed, but has not done so.

fast forward to yesterday. breaker switch for the dining room area is now tripping when the computer is on for more than an hour. computer is nothing special, an hp all in one, with a small set of powered speakers. the ceiling fan was also on when the switch tripped.

in addition to this, the AC drain has clogged twice now, and i discovered that the cord that plugs into the wall was spliced and electrical tape was used to cover the splice.

wife doesnt want problems (we have 2 broken leases but one falls off very soon), i dont want the apt burning down. i've taken pictures of everything and am wanting to call code compliance, but the land lord did send the maintenance guy today who said that a plumber is needed, as well as asked which switch is tripping now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
If you haven't already done so you need to address the problem in writing via return receipt certified mail to your landlord. This is standard practice in order to have a document trail. Your LL is required by law to fix such problems within a reasonable time period (you'll find specifics in your state laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum).

I had a similar problem many years ago. To use any appliances I had to do a juggling act! The LL kept sloughing it off and when he continued to do so even after a RRC letter I called the local authorities who promptly came out and fined him for using a temporary metered construction electricity supply when he should have had a permanent installation done before allowing occupancy. I was able to easily break my lease and, next time around - and subsequently - was much more careful when checking out a place.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you haven't already done so you need to address the problem in writing via return receipt certified mail to your landlord. This is standard practice in order to have a document trail. Your LL is required by law to fix such problems within a reasonable time period (you'll find specifics in your state laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum).

I had a similar problem many years ago. To use any appliances I had to do a juggling act! The LL kept sloughing it off and when he continued to do so even after a RRC letter I called the local authorities who promptly came out and fined him for using a temporary metered construction electricity supply when he should have had a permanent installation done before allowing occupancy. I was able to easily break my lease and, next time around - and subsequently - was much more careful when checking out a place.

Hope that helps and good luck!
i already knew this was my next step, but do appreciate you posting this. im going to send out a letter tomorrow.

i really hope they do fix it, as it was nice to find a place thats gated with key access only that actually maintains its grounds (the lawns here look awesome).

it sounds like you could at least use more than one appliance. i cant even do that :\

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
apt complex has it noted on the lease that requests should be made in person.
OK; but follow it up in writing anyway.

Quote:
apt complex was notified over a month ago that the switch on the breaker for the kitchen keeps tripping ... land lord and maintenance person have stated that the breaker box is 15 amp and that these are no longer in production, hence the delay in replacing it. land lord states that a 20 amp box may need to be installed, but has not done so.
It sounds like your apartment COMPLEX needs a lot of money invested. Beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEC
Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits
For a budget job like apartments... they will often put half of the counter top receptacles and the refrigerator on one 20 Amp circuit. The other half of the counter top receptacles and dining receptacles on the second circuit 20 Amp circuit.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
i already knew this was my next step, but do appreciate you posting this. im going to send out a letter tomorrow.

i really hope they do fix it, as it was nice to find a place thats gated with key access only that actually maintains its grounds (the lawns here look awesome).

it sounds like you could at least use more than one appliance. i cant even do that :\
Not more than one at a time! Hope all works out for you - and nonetheless read your state landlord tenant laws and your lease so you know in future what's expected of both you and your landlord and the proper way of dealing with issues. I've been both landlord and tenant and, even in the apparent best of circumstances, it's always wise to follow up a verbal communication with even something so simple as a confirming email. Even the best of relationships can turn sour and a simple document trail is easy to maintain and could be a huge lifeline if push ever comes to shove.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
OK; but follow it up in writing anyway.

It sounds like your apartment COMPLEX needs a lot of money invested. Beware.

For a budget job like apartments... they will often put half of the counter top receptacles and the refrigerator on one 20 Amp circuit. The other half of the counter top receptacles and dining receptacles on the second circuit 20 Amp circuit.
they spoke with me again today. the maintenance guy said that for safety reasons, the breaker box has to come out of the closet in the bedroom (where it currently is) and moved into the main hallway that connects the bedroom and bathroom.

ive no problem with this , but it explains why they have been stalling so much (gonna cost a lot of $$ id imagine).

Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

update:

maintenance came by today (day letter was mailed) with electrician to see whats up. they ended up replacing the 15 amp breakers that were tripping with 20 amp breakers.

everything works great now, but should they have upgraded the wiring?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
they ended up replacing the 15 amp breakers that were tripping with 20 amp breakers.
...should they have upgraded the wiring?
In short... No.

The wire in place should be the (correct size) 12ga that 20Amp requires.
No actual licensed electrician would have installed a 20A breaker on smaller wire.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In short... No.

The wire in place should be the (correct size) 12ga that 20Amp requires.
No actual licensed electrician would have installed a 20A breaker on smaller wire.
it looked to be around what 12ga car wiring would be, so ill assume this is GTG.

idk with this complex, hence me asking questions.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting