Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

Is asking for two months of security unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 68,532 times
Depends on many factors. What is you credit rating? How is your renting history? Which state is this?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM

I am the landlord. I just posted an ad and I am concerned asking for 2 months of security may deter good tenants. It comes to almost five thousand dollars. I went from a studio to a house so I never had to deal with high numbers. The rent is quite competitive but I am not sure if the extra rental payment is feasible. I am following the industry standard to screen applicants but I never had to do any of this. I want to be fair but I have to protect myself. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The norm in my area is first, last and one month's security, if that helps. Security in the amount of two month's rent would be unusual and probably a deterrent.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am the landlord. I just posted an ad and I am concerned asking for 2 months of security may deter good tenants. It comes to almost five thousand dollars. I went from a studio to a house so I never had to deal with high numbers. The rent is quite competitive but I am not sure if the extra rental payment is feasible. I am following the industry standard to screen applicants but I never had to do any of this. I want to be fair but I have to protect myself. Any insight would be most appreciated.
Have you verified that 2 months of "Security Deposit" is legal under your state law?

If the normal is 1 month "Security Deposit", you will get a certain amount of qualifed candidates who will pass you by because they view it as excess and may think your hard up for money or simply overcharging. You will get another group that may be qualified but due to circumstances, are not willing or able to get their hands on the cash needed for that extra month.

But first, check the laws of your state on security deposits, accounting of security deposits, notification and all the other stuff on this subject.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 AM

It is legal in my state but the upfront cost is high. I've already scared away two potential tenants. I lowered it to an amount that is slightly higher than the rent. I have no desire to price gouge; I just want the tenant to have some skin in the game.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
I insist on a security deposit in the amount of two months rent because that is about how long it takes to get rid of a deadbeat tenant in VT. Yes it scares potential tenants away but I'd rather leave the place empty for a month then get a lowlife in who won't pay rent and makes it hard to get them out. Fortunately I am not in Burlington or Barre, where the amount of the secutiry deposit is limited.

Other states make it much easier and quicker to oust a deadbeat. If you doesn't take as long or cost as much to get rid of a bad tenant, maybe you can go with a lower number.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Two months is a lot. However, unless it's the limit in your state, I wouldn't go as low as one month's rent. What we did with our rental house was set the deposit a few hundred higher than the rent, and the rent a little lower than the market seemed to require (in exchange for them signing a two-year lease).

The lower rent will hopefully keep them there longer, and the higher deposit will help with the cleaning, which we can already see there will be a lot of. Like you, we wanted them to have some "skin" in the game (higher deposit, longer lease), but we also wanted to make it attainable.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
In my experience it has been at times first month and last month rent for the deposit in addition to the current month you are moving in. It depends on other factors as well but that does not sound unreasonable to me from the little information you have provided.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Two months is a lot. However, unless it's the limit in your state, I wouldn't go as low as one month's rent. What we did with our rental house was set the deposit a few hundred higher than the rent, and the rent a little lower than the market seemed to require (in exchange for them signing a two-year lease).

The lower rent will hopefully keep them there longer, and the higher deposit will help with the cleaning, which we can already see there will be a lot of. Like you, we wanted them to have some "skin" in the game (higher deposit, longer lease), but we also wanted to make it attainable.
That is the approach I am taking except it will be a month to month lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting