Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
If you tell the management about your situation, nothing good can happen from it. Just keep a low profile and if someone from the management company knocks on your door, you deal with it at that point. Just keep a low profile and make sure that the parents realize they need to be very discreet about their comings and goings.

They're not going to tell you 'its ok" they're going to make you jump thru hoops.
Very poor advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If a tenant contacted the PMC and asked about an extended stay, they will get the informationa nd details and contact me to ask if its alright. Based on the information, I may say yes, I may put some restrictions on the lenght of stay, or I may even say no. If the PMC finds out that a tenant has an extended stay visitor and never asked permission, they immediately start the legal procedures to correct or evict if necessay. At that point there will most likely be NO exceptions. You speak to us first before violating the lease or face the consequences of YOUR decission to violate the lease. We owe the tenant nothing when they take it upon themself to thumb their nose at the agreement they signed and agreed to abide by! We will try and work with a tenant who chose not to violate the lease and ask for an exception.
Very good advice. OP, it would be very foolish of you not to communicate with the PMC but, if you really don't want to continue living in the place, then take your chances. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblack View Post
My parents are visiting for 3 months and are staying in my apartment and have been here only for a few days so far.

I am unsure asking for the permission from the complex manager due to the reason mentioned above in one of the posts -- they may not know how to handle it and will conveniently act in their best interest.

The apartment chain is archstone which has locations all over the country. I know that the lease states at one place that visitors should be there no more than 14 days but this is one issue many tenants must face from time to time.

I have lived in this complex for more than a year and this is the first time visitors are going to be at my apartment for such a period.

There will be no hoops to jump thru...they will ask for your parents to fill out an application and background check so they can be added to the lease.

You signed the lease, so now be a good tenant, and follow the lease.

Update us and let us know how your chat with the manager went.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 10-10-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There will be no hoops to jump thru...they will ask for your parents to fill out an application and background check so they can be added to the lease.
It would be very unusual to add temporary visitors to a term lease. The OP has made it clear that his parents are only staying with him short-term ("a few months"), not permanently. Hopefully he's already spoken to the PMC and has been able to work something out.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It would be very unusual to add temporary visitors to a term lease. The OP has made it clear that his parents are only staying with him short-term ("a few months"), not permanently. Hopefully he's already spoken to the PMC and has been able to work something out.

If they are staying for more than the standard guest time allowed in the lease, they are considered residents, at least that's how my complex and many others see it.

I hope he did talk to the PM and will update us shortly.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM

40 posts, read 306,247 times
The apartment complex is not PMC, it's Archstone. So I guess the PMC experience shared above does not directly apply. Does anyone know Archstone policy about this? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
PMC = Property Managment Company!

A Property Managmenet Company can be self managing such as Archstone, where they own their own properties or has interest in other properties they manage. The model is pretty much the same be it self managing, contract managment, or transitional management.

As an FYI, Archstone is known for follows the leases to preserve their rights. No PMC will willfully ignore lease violations without acting as they run the risk of voiding that provision of leases in the future. So they most likely will (when they discover the vioation) ask you nicley (maybe unofficially) to stop or request permission, or they may just move to the official formal demand to correct the violation.

As I said before, PMC or LANDLORDS will work with you if you ask, but will not be so nice if you flip them off by violating the lease and not asking. Which risk are you willing to take?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
I've had my parents visit for up to 3 weeks but I did mention to the LL at the lease signing that they would be at some point in the future and they were OK with it.

Kim: I don't think the parents need to be on the lease, undergo background checking -which they probably won't have since they live abroad- and do everything if they are just visiting. A long visit, but a visit nevertheless.

I understand why that provision is there, but it doesn't apply to your case since your parents are going to leave in a defined date in the future and, I guess, they maintain residence in another country. That said, you should mention their presence to the PM, with definitive dates of leave and ask for permission. Based on my experience, they probably would say yes.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
It would take months and months to actually evict you. By that time, your parents would be gone. If you aren't doing anything to attract attention (parties, loud music, etc) then frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
It would take months and months to actually evict you. By that time, your parents would be gone. If you aren't doing anything to attract attention (parties, loud music, etc) then frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.
Bad advice. And evictions don't always take "months and months" by any stretch. Depending on the jurisdiction the process is often of very short duration.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Eviction can be 30 days or less in some states. Besides, it's a horrible blemish on your record.

Good news...the complex mgt must give proper notice before they start eviction proceedings. The bad news - proper notice might only be a 3 day warning to get remedy the situation (get the long term guests OUT or get permission for them or add them to lease). If the situation isn't remedied by the end of the warning period, then the tenant must move or eviction proceedings can be started.

Possible remedies after a 3 day warning could be:
1) talk to complex and get permission for parents to stay. Maybe at that point it's only 3 more weeks until they are ready to leave anyway.
2) have parents go to a hotel for awhile. Tell complex they are gone. Then discuss with complex proper permission for them to visit. Or have them visit again as guests for 2 week stints but leave and come back.

3) get them added to lease for a short term period (until they leave). Maybe the process isn't that bad since they wouldnt be paying the rent and such. Once they leave you would need to get them removed .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting