Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Bad advice. At least in some states, trying to collect a debt owed to you makes you a "debt collector", under federal law. The latter prohibits you (debt collector) from discussing the debt with third parties, among many other restrictions. I believe it's up to $1000 per violation (say, phone call). If you create problems for someone at work, you'll likely be liable for a whole lot more, regardless of where you live. If you use your buddy, who's a senior officer, to make some serviceman pay you then, depending on a lot of things, it may even be a felony (extortion).
Good point since City-Data does not offer legal advice... only members sharing experiences

Fortunately, I only had this problem once and it was quickly resolved... Can't comment on the legalities of having a retired military friend make the call since I am not a lawyer...

The retired Commander was glad to assist and commented that he did not tolerate those under his command tarnishing the reputation of the Navy... could be he is from a different era in more ways than one

I do know military is not the same as civilian... there are many variance just in the soldier and sailors relief act as an example that directly affect residential rental leases.

Now, I would be grateful if you could tell me how to stop bill collectors from calling me for people that were either past tenants or associated with past tenants or simply listed my phone number somewhere.

The worst has been the emergency engineering cell phones at the local hospital... these phones must be answered 24/7 and never go to voice mail... numbers have been changed at least a dozen times due to bill collection efforts against someone that previously had the numbers... most were robocalls.

Not much of a military presence anymore in the SF Bay Area since the massive Base Closures years ago and I don't anticipate a repeat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Now, I would be grateful if you could tell me how to stop bill collectors from calling me for people that were either past tenants or associated with past tenants or simply listed my phone number somewhere.

The worst has been the emergency engineering cell phones at the local hospital... these phones must be answered 24/7 and never go to voice mail... numbers have been changed at least a dozen times due to bill collection efforts against someone that previously had the numbers... most were robocalls.
I'd tell them to stop and then file BBB complaints online, because of how easy it is to do. If you are thinking about actually suing them, you'd probably have to do it more by-the-book: written notice via certified mail, etc.

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting