Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,556 times

Advertisements

I told my landlord if I can get curtains. Because the unit had vertical blinds. Next day she bought a rod a Traverse rod for 27 dollars for a 152 width window and the installation cost 60 dollars (Professional). I was naive and paid that plus the rent, next day I felt a bit questionable if I should have paid it and asked my co-workers. They said you shouldn't have even my father said this as well.

After I told her she got upset, I just don't have the heart to deduct $60.00 just the installation from my next month's rent. She's a nice old woman. The only thing she agreed to not raise my rent to 10 dollars. So in a way she got a $7.25 raise each month.

She says that vertical blinds are popular in the building. So she'll probably have to get those professionally installed again when I move out.

Should I have paid the $87.00? again she agreed not to raise my rent to $10.00. I feel screwed but she does have points and I'm happy somewhat the stringing in the traverse is a bit off. The right side doesn't fully close a few inches. Not a big deal very wide windows. but $60.00 for professional install does that sound right?

I honestly don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Whether you should have or not paid,you did so get over it. However tell her the person who installed the rod needs to come back and adjust it.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Were the vertical blinds originally provided by the landlord at no additional charge to you?
Were they in working order at the time you requested the change?
Did you make the request to change them for personal reasons and not due to habitability or damaged blinds?
Does your lease state or omits any mention, that any tenant requested upgraded or changes will be the responsibility of the tenant?

If the answer is yes to all four, you are 100% responsible for the cost to change the binds to what you want. The fact that you fgailed to obtain the cost and agreed to be charged whatever they charge due to that failure, is all on you.

What reason did your experenced in the legalities of these issues as it relates to landlrod tenant obligations co-workers and parent give for saying you shouldn't pay?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 AM

They worked but didn't fully work, some wouldn't close at all and had to manually turn them. They were crap blinds in fact but they did the job. I can always work out something with the rent for the year after this one I guess.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurHammer View Post
They worked but didn't fully work, some wouldn't close at all and had to manually turn them. They were crap blinds in fact but they did the job. I can always work out something with the rent for the year after this one I guess.

Or you can just pay the bill and move on. You asked the landlord to add a non standard item and now you're complaining about being charged?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Why should the owner pay for you to change to drapes when she provided vertical blinds? $60 doesn't sound that bad to me. If they were not hung right, have the installer come back. She has the right to insist that a pro install them rather than you or anyone else.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurHammer View Post
I told my landlord if I can get curtains. Because the unit had vertical blinds. Next day she bought a rod a Traverse rod for 27 dollars for a 152 width window and the installation cost 60 dollars (Professional). I was naive and paid that plus the rent, next day I felt a bit questionable if I should have paid it and asked my co-workers. They said you shouldn't have even my father said this as well.

After I told her she got upset, I just don't have the heart to deduct $60.00 just the installation from my next month's rent. She's a nice old woman. The only thing she agreed to not raise my rent to 10 dollars. So in a way she got a $7.25 raise each month.

She says that vertical blinds are popular in the building. So she'll probably have to get those professionally installed again when I move out.

Should I have paid the $87.00? again she agreed not to raise my rent to $10.00. I feel screwed but she does have points and I'm happy somewhat the stringing in the traverse is a bit off. The right side doesn't fully close a few inches. Not a big deal very wide windows. but $60.00 for professional install does that sound right?

I honestly don't know what to do.
You are obligated to pay your rent in full every month. You cannot "deduct" anything from it without the permission of the landlord. If you do, you can be in breach of your rental agreement. Even if you so not have a lease or rental agreement in writing, you are still obligated to pay the rent every month as agreed upon. You cannot alter it without the landlord's permission.

Make sure you keep the receipt so that you can keep the traverse rods you paid for when you leave. Otherwise, she can claim that they are hers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM

This forum makes me feel better. I heard people say that since it's her property and she wanted to make the change. Then I shouldn't have paid her. But oh well everything works out I guess. I'm happy she's happy she got paid back. Wish you guys worked with me then I couldn't have felt cheated.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You requested curtains. Curtains can't be hung with thumbtacks, they require a curtain rod. You requested the curtains as an additional improvement, above what was provided, so you get to pay for them.

I suggest that next time you discuss costs before you agree to the improvement. Perhaps if you had known, you would have decided to live with the mini blinds. But you asked for them, the landlord had it done, and you now get to pay for it.

There are not many places where window coverings are required by law to be provided. (in fact, I don't know of any). Many landlords provide blinds to head off tenants from nailing bed sheets over the windows, but the blinds are not required by law.

Incidentally, if blinds are provided and you damage them, then you get to pay for replacements, not that applies in this case. However what does apply in your case is that you will possibly be billed for removing the curtain rod, patching the holes, repainting, and the purchase of replacement blinds. So, I suggest that you don't move any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting