Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times

Advertisements

Just try to follow the lease requirements that stipulate how much noise you and your family can make and what time you should do certain activities (move in/move out).

Our problem neighbors (see my thread from May) just got evicted --the sheriff was there-- after numerous complaints by all the other tenants.

Day one they moved in at midnight. We share a building of 4 up and 2 down so them moving in, tramping their stuff and down the stairs at midnight put them in the bad books with the rest of the house. I don't care what job you do, there is no excuse for moving in at midnight THEN getting up the next day at 5 am and holding a loud conversation in the (shared) hallway.

Our leases state no moving in or out before 8 am or after 9 pm.

Secondly, don't let your kid cry and cry and cry and cry and cry without comforting it. Don't allow your other child to torment the baby night after night after night every night all summer till 2 am. Just because you sleep like the dead because you are sleep deprived doesn't mean other people are able to sleep through your children wailing.

Guess what, now they have been moving out for 3 nights at 12 am and this morning the guy was up at 5 am slamming the front door for an hour and dragging stuff out.

I don't understand why it doesn't occur to them this is bothering other people. Or maybe they don't care.

Hope they enjoy them at their new apartment building. I'm sure they loved the guy bringing his stuff this morning at 6 or 7 am.

Last edited by chef.sunny22; 10-16-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Glad to hear they're moving, yeah for you! I do feel sorry for the new neighbors. Some people just need to rent/buy a single family home out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I used to think people like this just didn't realize they are being obnoxiously loud (we've all been told to "shhh" at some point not realizing we were talking to loud or something), but some people are just inconsiderate and don't care about anyone else.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Glad to hear they're moving, yeah for you! I do feel sorry for the new neighbors. Some people just need to rent/buy a single family home out in the middle of nowhere.
They aren't welcome out in the middle of nowhere, either. Those of us who live out in the country do so because we don't want neighbors right up in our faces. People who think they can make as much noise as they want are really all up in their neighbor's faces and we don't much like them, either.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
Late night moves usually equal trying to put one over on the landlord/sneak out on the rent. That's probably their usual. Move out on one place, owing in the middle of the night, don't pay rent, lather, repeat rinse. At least they're moving out.

I'm doing a dance of joy when my likely schizophrenic neighbor moves out. She frequently goes off her meds, and attempts to self medicate with some really foul smelling pot which I think may be synthetic marijuana. She yells all sorts of charming slurs/curses towards my door/window, rings my bell repeatedly and throws stuff out of our share entryway onto the street, etc. and tries to spit at passersby. She throws either herself or objects around the apartment, which sounds like someone's being slammed into walls The police visit at least several times a year, sometimes several times in a month or even week. There have been a few days where they've had to come back twice. I don't even call them most of the time, it's the family/friends or other neighbors/passersby.

One time she jumped out the window to avoid them and I felt like an extra on COPs. She often has to be restrained and has injured emergency responders while being taken in for evaluation. We share an entryway so I have to check the stairway, doorway before leaving or entering my apartment. She's also opened the door to the street randomly while dressed in her underwear. Sometimes she leaves large, white granny panties on the doorknob to her apartment. I'm not sure what that's supposed to signify. She has a gentleman caller? White flag of surrender.

I own my apartment vs rent and it's not a good time to sell. The day one of us moves will be a joyous day. I may throw a block party if she's the one who moves. Her mother is the owner and our homeowners' association can't do much and refuses to do what little they can do. Calling 911 helps if they can get can get access to her, but they bring her to the hospital, evaluate her and then medicate her. She gets better and is released.

She's gotten in the faces of both next door neighbors with her rages. One of them has had a nightmare about her, and so have I. One of these neighbors saw her giving a blow job in the back seat of a car parked on the street. Surprisingly, that's not the one who had the nightmare. I'm all for enjoying the physical aspect of a relationship and pleasuring one's partner, just not in the streets, where as the saying goes, it will frighten the horses.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Late night moves usually equal trying to put one over on the landlord/sneak out on the rent. That's probably their usual. Move out on one place, owing in the middle of the night, don't pay rent, lather, repeat rinse. At least they're moving out.

I'm doing a dance of joy when my likely schizophrenic neighbor moves out. She frequently goes off her meds, and attempts to self medicate with some really foul smelling pot which I think may be synthetic marijuana. She yells all sorts of charming slurs/curses towards my door/window, rings my bell repeatedly and throws stuff out of our share entryway onto the street, etc. and tries to spit at passersby. She throws either herself or objects around the apartment, which sounds like someone's being slammed into walls The police visit at least several times a year, sometimes several times in a month or even week. There have been a few days where they've had to come back twice. I don't even call them most of the time, it's the family/friends or other neighbors/passersby.

One time she jumped out the window to avoid them and I felt like an extra on COPs. She often has to be restrained and has injured emergency responders while being taken in for evaluation. We share an entryway so I have to check the stairway, doorway before leaving or entering my apartment. She's also opened the door to the street randomly while dressed in her underwear. Sometimes she leaves large, white granny panties on the doorknob to her apartment. I'm not sure what that's supposed to signify. She has a gentleman caller? White flag of surrender.

I own my apartment vs rent and it's not a good time to sell. The day one of us moves will be a joyous day. I may throw a block party if she's the one who moves. Her mother is the owner and our homeowners' association can't do much and refuses to do what little they can do. Calling 911 helps if they can get can get access to her, but they bring her to the hospital, evaluate her and then medicate her. She gets better and is released.

She's gotten in the faces of both next door neighbors with her rages. One of them has had a nightmare about her, and so have I. One of these neighbors saw her giving a blow job in the back seat of a car parked on the street. Surprisingly, that's not the one who had the nightmare. I'm all for enjoying the physical aspect of a relationship and pleasuring one's partner, just not in the streets, where as the saying goes, it will frighten the horses.

And when you called the police and social services on this nut job, what did they say? Oh, and when you called the HOA to file a formal complaint, what did they say?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Mentally off tenants are a real problem because they are protected under the Americans With Disabilities Act. It puts the landlord in an impossible position. It doesn't matter what he does, someone is getting their rights violated and the landlord is stuck in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting