Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM

20 posts, read 73,060 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I've been doing some research to what a reasonable amount would be for a landlord to charge for a late rent fee. By reasonable, what is the legal amount to charge on a % basis?

Here's my story. I've been paying rent on time for quite a while now, but I was a day late this month and consequently got an e-mail from my property manager saying their accounting system has attached a 15% late fee for not paying the rent on time (which is due by the 5th).

The lease agreement says that the late fee is 15% which I agreed to and there's no if's or but's that this was an oversight on my part, however I'd like to know if I'll be able to at least negotitate the late fee down a bit or gain a little knowledge to what I can do to alleviate this fee. If not, I'll just pay and move on, but 15% just seems too unreasonable.

Again, I know that paying rent on time is my responsibility and something I would expect if I was leasing/renting out my property, but I'd like to know more about what is reasonable and unreasonable by law.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM

77 posts, read 252,955 times
I think most people do a 10% fee, 15% is a little high but it was in your contract correct?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Check out this document: http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf

I don't recall any limit on late fees in that document. You did sign the lease and admit that it was in the lease so you agreed to it. A small claims court judge may decide it is "excessive", but you'll have to use time/money to go through the process.

I'm an amateur landlord in NOVA and I charge a $50 late fee. My tenants were late for the first time this month. They called me about 10 days before rent was due and explained their situation. Since they took the time to notify me and also because it was their first time, I told them I'd waive the late fee this one time.

You might nicely ask that they waive your late fee since it was your first time being late. It can't hurt to ask. Worse they can say is no and you're in the same spot. Good luck to you.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 73,060 times
Thanks for the link. I've already communicated with the property manager and it seems like the only way out is to pay the late fee. I guess this is an expensive learning lesson...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default 15%?!

that's a lot, my late fee in ny is $15 after the 6th

Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3isffej View Post
Hey folks,

I've been doing some research to what a reasonable amount would be for a landlord to charge for a late rent fee. By reasonable, what is the legal amount to charge on a % basis?

there's no if's or but's that this was an oversight on my part, however I'd like to know if I'll be able to at least negotitate the late fee down a bit or gain a little knowledge to what I can do to alleviate this fee.
Thanks!
Whats legal is according to lease and allowable by state LL/T code.

The only knowledge to be gained, make rental payments within the grace period, the 1st thru the5th.

A PM will sometimes cut some slack, if you've been a great tenant and timely with rent, otherwise, the late fee is not negotiable.

When and if you decide to move an inquiry is done with your previous management company. The question is always asked, how many times late on rental, this is where it will have an effect in determining eligibility. Checks returned due to insufficent funds carry a fee as well and result in no longer accepting rent in form of check.

Last edited by virgode; 06-10-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
As I understand it, most states allow for "reasonable" late fees but usually that term is not defined, it's left up to the judge if the dispute makes it to court. I would say that 15% is far above what is customary here, but I think it would be a hard sell to classify it as unreasonable.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,892 times
In Virginia, can the landlord charge $100 a day for late fee's on a single family house. Even thou it was started in the least.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If I had a $100 a day late fee, I would be super careful to never pay the rent late.

Pay the rent on time and it will never be an issue.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM

35 posts, read 336,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Miranda View Post
In Virginia, can the landlord charge $100 a day for late fee's on a single family house. Even thou it was started in the least.

In CA, there is no limit, except a LL would have to show a 'reason/cause' (if this went to court for some reason) for the amount if it was excessive. For example, if MY mortgage payment is late because -I- rely on your rent to make MY mortgage payment, and I incur a $300 late fee, I can definitely charge you a similar amount for being late (since me making my mortgage payment relies on your rent).

For us people here in internet land, it's hard for us to tell you the correct specific answer. Like oregon said, just always pay on-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting