Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria95 View Post
STT Resident: The landlord and roommate have agreed to sign papers to take me off the lease. The roommate said they'd give me the deposit after I'm off the lease, but I'm worried my roommate won't give me back my deposit in this case. Then I'm out $750 for rent AND $2000 for the deposit.

manderly6: Yes, the landlord is currently holding the deposit, but my roommate agreed to pay the entire rent once I'm off the lease.
Then it's relatively simple. Before you're taken off the lease you get written and notarized confirmation from the roommate that he/she has given you the security deposit owed and that you have no further obligation under the lease agreement. That way you're free and clear. You're off the lease and are in no way responsible for any further action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,993 times
Lacerta: You're exactly right. Once I take my name off the lease, the entire $2000 deposit would be payable to my roommate. Instead of paying my roommate my portion of the rent now, I want them to just claim the rights to the entire deposit. They originally verbally agreed to this arrangement but are now backing out.

The apartment is very clean, so I am not very concerned about deductions. Currently, my roommate is demanding rent now and threatening to sue if I don't pay. They also said they will pay me the security deposit after I completely move out, but I don't trust them.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
If you are already willing to pay your share of the remaining rent, why not just keep your name on the lease if that would give you a better shot and getting your portion of the security deposit back? What exactly are you gaining by being removed from the lease?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
You signed a lease obligating you to the full terms of that contract for its duration. Until it is legally ammended in writing, the existing lease takes precident over any verbal agreements you thought you had. You probably have nothing in writing regarding your agreements with the roommate, so even if you went to small claims court they will expect you to fulfill your half of the obligations on the lease. In fact, if your roommate were to default on the lease and the landlord thought it would would be easier to get the money out of you, they would be entitled to sue you for any unpaid rent and damages.

In most states it is not acceptable to withhold last months rent out of a security deposit, you have zero legal grounds for doing so with your roommate. Your best legal course of action is to pay your half of the rent each month directly to the landlord and notify them that you request your half of the deposit be mailed to you when the other tenant moves out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting