Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

I am a new landlord and have very good tenants. (I bought a new house but kept my old as I didn't want to sell in this market.) I am going to have the old house's roof replaced, which will take 1-2 weeks and will of course be disruptive to the tenants (1 works in the daytime so it won't bother him, but the other 2 work different shifts, sometimes early mornings to afternoons, sometimes nights). I was thinking of offering them a break on the rent for the time it takes for the roof to be replaced. Does this sound appropriate or am I being too "nice"? (The break might be, say, 1/2 rent for the days when the roofers are working.)

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 10-01-2012 at 01:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Yes, it is 'nice' to offer a reduced rate while the roof is being repaired, but you don't have to do it.

I suggest you inform them, in writing, about the work taking place and make sure you give all the details ( time, length, company name, etc) and if they complain about the noise or disruption, then offer them a break. Are you sure the turn around time is correct? 1-2 weeks seems awfully long to replace a roof.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Kim, thanks for the reply. The estimate was for 1 week but I always try to overestimate so I don't get an unpleasant surprise at the end!

There was a MAJOR leak a few months ago due to a chimney that had not been installed correctly, and the tenants were great about it (I was freaking out -- had lived there 9 years without a problem!). They were just moving in at the time so there was no damage, but there could have been. I had that fixed right away of course, and was told the roof should be replaced soon. I was going to have it done in the spring, but one of the tenants just told me there was another tiny leak in the master bedroom closet when we got a lot of rain last week. Again, it didn't cause any damage, but I don't want to take any chances. Anyway, because they've been very good about these things so far, I was considering a rent break. I may just see if it goes over a week; as a renter I never had to deal with a new roof being put on while I was living somewhere, but certainly I dealt with lots of other "improvements" going on.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
As a tenant, I understand that roofs need repair or replacing. I don't expect my landlord to credit my rent because of maintenance, but that's just me.

There are ppl out there who expect a break on everything..perfect example: I know a person who's central AC broke and as a result their electric bill was about $100 more than normal for the month. He had the unit repaired and then called the electric company demanding a credit for the $100. When he told me this story I couldn't stop laughing..I asked him if he really expected them to credit his account and he said "yes, my unit was broke and it used more electric than normal and I shouldn't have to pay that!!" What a weenie. lololol

No, he didn't get his credit.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
If there's just one small leak right now I'd have that patched and wait to replace the roof until you have more of a guarantee of clement weather. New England weather is so fickle at this time of year! Be upfront with your tenants and let them know your plans but I wouldn't go out of my way to offer them any sort of a rebate. If the roof repair goes according to schedule then you can thank them afterwards for their forbearance and maybe give them a small gift certificate to show your appreciation.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am going to have the old house's roof replaced, which will take 1-2 weeks
Why so long? 2-3 days is long for (most) roof jobs

Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM

35 posts, read 336,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah! 2-3 days at most. I hope you shopped around for roofing companies!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I would say to give them plenty of notice when the roof work is going to be done, get yourself a reputable roofing company that will complete the work within the stated time frame according to your contract and leave it at that. It is a very generous and nice thought to offer reduced rent but I as a renter do not feel it is necessary. As a renter you expect repairs to be done on the home the same as repairs would be done if I owned the home I rent. It is a wee bit of an inconvenience for a couple days but the end result is continueing to sleep in a dry bed without mold growing in the rafters from a landlord who does not care enough about his property or renters to get the home fixed properly.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plscuba View Post
Yeah! 2-3 days at most. I hope you shopped around for roofing companies!
To replace a whole roof? I don't know where you guys live but in my experience, just taking off the old roof is at least a 2 day job!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
When I was a renter I was very glad the landlord replaced the roof - I didn't have enough buckets for all the leaks, and I had to rearrange my furniture in bedroom and living room to keep it from getting wet! He did not offer a credit, but it only took a couple days and did not disturb me at all.

It certainly isn't necessary to offer your tenants a credit, and it isn't your problem they work different shifts. However, good tenants are worth keeping. I'd give them the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting