Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 23,231 times

Advertisements

Here's the story...

I started renting and living with one of my friends that owns the condo. We went through all the procedures.. I got approved and everything.

Fast forward a month and my girlfriend had no place to live. Luckily my roommate said it was ok for her to move in. Mind you, I'm only here for another 6 months.

Now the association is breathing down my friends back saying that there are a lot of people coming and going from our condo. They said something to this extent... "please get your house in order, don't let us have to get our attorneys involved."

Now, we have followed all rules and we are super quite. We do not disturb anyone. The only problem is that my girlfriend is not on any lease. We would get my girlfriend on the lease, but the association only allows two people applying per unit per year (I'm the second).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Akkord View Post
Now the association is breathing down my friends back
saying that there are a lot of people coming and going from our condo.
Are there?
How many other "peak season" new arrivals are there?

Is your combined social life busier now and with more visitors?
In particular... more visitors who don't know how anal condo people can be about parking?
Where does the gf park?

Quote:
Now, we have followed all rules and we are super quite. We do not disturb anyone.
The only problem is that my girlfriend is not on any lease.
If that's true and the above set of concerns don't exist... tell them to pound sand.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Sounds like you will soon be getting notice about your girlfriend living there. They will likely force this issue on the landlord, who will likely give you a very short notice to either move HER out or for ALL of you to move out(get kicked out). If you don't do one of those 2 options, they will be filing eviction very quickly (likely within a few days of the official notice).

Once the landlord files eviction, it's on public record for you and your roommate since you are on the lease.

Your roommate did NOT have authority to allow your girlfriend to live there.

if you want to avoid eviction, get her out asap. Otherwise, plan to find someplace to move asap for you and your roommate due to the girlfriend living there. And plan to have issues getting another rental if the eviction is filed. It could also affect your future employment for many years.

This is bad news for you. IMO, get the girlfriend out tomorrow. Else she brings you down with her.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
How to evict her is she is not on the lease...? They will need to evict you and your friend since both of you are on the lease not your gf...

She is not doing anything wrong although she doesn't belong there for a long period but it will be the both on the lease who can be in legal trouble for non compliance with the lease!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Here's the story...

I started renting and living with one of my friends that owns the condo. We went through all the procedures.. I got approved and everything.

Fast forward a month and my girlfriend had no place to live. Luckily my roommate said it was ok for her to move in. Mind you, I'm only here for another 6 months.

Now the association is breathing down my friends back saying that there are a lot of people coming and going from our condo. They said something to this extent... "please get your house in order, don't let us have to get our attorneys involved."

Now, we have followed all rules and we are super quite. We do not disturb anyone. The only problem is that my girlfriend is not on any lease. We would get my girlfriend on the lease, but the association only allows two people applying per unit per year (I'm the second).
Do you mean two people per unit or up to two leases per year? Find out if the association will allow her to submit an application for six month tenancy without her being on the lease. If not, then, yes, they can evict all of you if you are not complying with the governing documents regarding occupancy. And you all and the landlord could be held responsible for legal fees, depending upon how they proceed.

They can also evict you if you are "creating a nuisance". Folks live in close quarters in most condos, so it's important to consider the neighbors.

What is your landlord saying about this? Will he/she allow her to reside there? Doesn't your lease speak to additional residents, as well?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM

The thing is, my friend owns the place. Pays the mortgage and the association. I downloaded a pretty basic lease offline. Nothing major. Just how much I'm paying and how long I will be staying there for.

My friend does not come home for a couple of hours. I'm going to see if she has a copy of the association rules.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Do you mean two people per unit or up to two leases per year? Find out if the association will allow her to submit an application for six month tenancy without her being on the lease. If not, then, yes, they can evict all of you if you are not complying with the governing documents regarding occupancy. And you all and the landlord could be held responsible for legal fees, depending upon how they proceed.

They can also evict you if you are "creating a nuisance". Folks live in close quarters in most condos, so it's important to consider the neighbors.

What is your landlord saying about this? Will he/she allow her to reside there? Doesn't your lease speak to additional residents, as well?
Two people per year not per lease. I know.. its weird to me.

We are going to try and get her on the lease and see if they approve her.. that is looking to be the only option at the moment.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are there?
How many other "peak season" new arrivals are there?

Is your combined social life busier now and with more visitors?
In particular... more visitors who don't know how anal condo people can be about parking?
Where does the gf park?

If that's true and the above set of concerns don't exist... tell them to pound sand.
They are specifically looking at us. They see her taking her kid to school everyday.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
They are specifically looking at us. They see her taking her kid to school everyday.
You didn't mention any kids before...

Are there other children that age in the community?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You didn't mention any kids before...

Are there other children that age in the community?
Sorry I didn't. Yes, there are tons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting