Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 173,215 times

Advertisements

I'm new to renting and am unsure what the protocol is on actually getting a place to rent. Here is the situation. I found a house I liked and spoke with the Realtor handling the property. He told me to fill out rental agreement and send it to him. After he reviewed the application, he sent me an email saying "Everything looks great. Please send a check for $65 for the background check. I will run your application through the processor as soon as I receive the check. I will let you know immediately."

I sent the check but I'm not sure if he received it yet or not due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I just looked on hotpads and now the house is no longer listed.

I know you guys don't have a crystal ball, but do you think that means I was approved for the lease? Or would a Realtor accept more than one application and rent it to the first person that sent the $65 check? Do Realtors/landlords accept more than one application on a house? And if so, do they tell the applicant that they are reviewing 1-2 applications? Or do they just keep collecting the background check fees until the house is rented to someone?

I'm really anxious about this because I'm moving in a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings2 View Post
I'm new to renting and am unsure what the protocol is on actually getting a place to rent.

I found a house I liked and spoke with the Realtor handling the property.
He told me to fill out rental agreement and send it to him.
(so far so good... too many will ask for the fee money up front)

After he reviewed the application, he sent me an email saying
"Everything looks great. Please send a check for $65 for the background check.
I will run your application through the processor as soon as I receive the check.
I will let you know immediately."
This should mean (and you should have asked to confirm) that everything you asserted in the app
meets their standards and that absent some 3rd party revelation that some detail is not as you
represented it to be... that they are ready to offer you a lease.

Quote:
I sent the check but...
I know you guys don't have a crystal ball, but...
Enjoy the turkey, have an extra slice of pie...
then take two aspirins and call him in the morning.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM

I wish you were correct MrRational, but the realtor just responded to my email asking if I had gotten the lease and said "No. I'm sorry but I can not rent property site unseen. I tried to get you or your friend to physically view the property." (I live out of state and I do have a friend in NC who can look at the house.)

He never told me this. The last thing I heard from him was to send him a check and he would run the background check. I'm so depressed. I wanted this house and now I am out $65. What recourse do I have?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default sheesh...

Quote:
I'm new to renting and am unsure what the protocol is on actually getting a place to rent. Here is the situation. I found a house I liked and spoke with the Realtor handling the property. He told me to fill out rental agreement and send it to him. After he reviewed the application, he sent me an email saying "Everything looks great. Please send a check for $65 for the background check. I will run your application through the processor as soon as I receive the check. I will let you know immediately."

I sent the check but I'm not sure if he received it yet or not due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I just looked on hotpads and now the house is no longer listed.

I know you guys don't have a crystal ball, but do you think that means I was approved for the lease? Or would a Realtor accept more than one application and rent it to the first person that sent the $65 check? Do Realtors/landlords accept more than one application on a house? And if so, do they tell the applicant that they are reviewing 1-2 applications? Or do they just keep collecting the background check fees until the house is rented to someone?

I'm sure they 'will run it through their processor' for $65.00 along with the other 500 non-eligible applications they receive... I'd move on...look for a private party to rent through.
Koale

Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs down Got ya...

Quote:
I wish you were correct MrRational, but the realtor just responded to my email asking if I had gotten the lease and said "No. I'm sorry but I can not rent property site unseen. I tried to get you or your friend to physically view the property." (I live out of state and I do have a friend in NC who can look at the house.)

He never told me this. The last thing I heard from him was to send him a check and he would run the background check. I'm so depressed. I wanted this house and now I am out $65. What recourse do I have?
None...
K

Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...and now I am out $65. What recourse do I have?
Nothing that won't cost you far more than the $65 is worth.
Chalk it up to a learning experience and start over.

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can not rent property site unseen.
I tried to get you or your friend to physically view the property."
He never told me this.
This is a real scummy way to do business.
Karma will get him.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM

I hope you are right. I am heartsick.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:55 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You ask the question like you think that every landlord does things exactly the same way. It doesn't do you any good if I tell you how many applications I accept because you haven't applied to rent from me.

I can guess about what happened. Most landlords will not process an application until after the fee has been paid. Running the application takes time and money and I will not do it for free. So, until the fee is there, no processing will happen. It sounds like you did not get the processing fee paid quickly, and in the meantime, someone else qualified. That's just a guess, though, since I don't know the landlord in question.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It sounds like you did not get the processing fee paid quickly, and in the meantime, someone else qualified. That's just a guess, though, since I don't know the landlord in question.
In which case, an honest landlord would not cash the check.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 19,736 times
I paid a $50 application fee for a house I loved last week. The rental agent said they would accept applications for the rest of that day. I should have asked more questions. The agent took 5 applications...and fees, picked one person and kept the rest of the fees. Just doesn't seem fair. I thought the fee was to check my credit, not too enter a competition for the house. They said I was approved to rent from them and I wouldn't have to pay the fee from them if I choose another property of theirs, but someone else had a better application than I did. I'm also in NC. Not sure if it's legal, but it's certainly not good business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting