Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times

Advertisements

Most leases require that the tenant NOT add locks or rekey existing locks without giving the LL a key. A throw "blot" is going to create a problem. Where's the utilities as MrR asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What about the utility aspects?
Electric panel? Meters? Gas and water valves? Furnace? Water Heater?
The fire egress they mention is just one of these factors.

If their mother in law or some other person related to that family were living there...
would the lack of privacy that a door to/from the rest of the house be an issue?

It takes more than thinking of a space as an apartment to make it one.
She isn't their MIL or a related person. Non issue. IF there is an emergency, they can kick in the door. I would want anyone having access through an unlocked door either.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
She isn't their MIL or a related person. Non issue.
That was an illustration.

The OP describes their home as a mother in law apartment...
but also wants to have all the privacy of a standard apartment.
She (and you) can't have it both ways.

Quote:
IF there is an emergency, they can kick in the door.
Think that through just a little bit more.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Talking lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Our landlords wants us to keep the door between the mil unit and the house unlocked. They said in case of any emergency. One I'm almost always home, and two they have a key to get into the front door. The other door none of our keys fit. I don't recall any law, Washington state, that allows this. I don't feel comfortable, they entertain, and with drinking strangers around. I've already heard the knob tried times when we did lock it. Not to mention we've got a loaded gun I keep next to my bed. After waking to a man crawling in my bed many years ago I'm going to shot first, and I know how to use it. We do have a stand your ground law here, but it'll never be a case of George Zimmerman as it is for home protection only. I did consider a carry concealed permit after being attacked by a pitbull last August.

Thanks!
We rented a MIL apt for six months after moving to Hawaii...the LL turned out to be nutz, even though I had met her personally prior to renting. She liked to enter our unit and it didn't matter if we were home or
not...at times it was a bit, shall we say...inconvenient. The adjoining door was at the bottom of a staircase,
she wouldn't knock, but just walk right in. I didn't want any damage to have to pay for so I bought a rubber door jam...luckily...the next time she attempted to enter we were home. We heard the door jiggle and then a rather loud 'THUMP'...LOLOL... it seems she konked her forehead on the door...it was priceless.
When we moved I handed it to her and suggested she provide it for her next tenant...lolol...it was pretty
darn funny to see the bump on her forehead a few days later, she didn't have much to say.
Koale

Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That was an illustration.

The OP describes their home as a mother in law apartment...
but also wants to have all the privacy of a standard apartment.
She (and you) can't have it both ways.

Think that through just a little bit more.
theres a door from the main house to a small apt styled unit that has a extra door it sounds like that they have a key to so not locking the inside door is just whack job thinking ..

Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
theres a door from the main house to a small apt styled unit that has a extra door...
I don't know what the exact layout is... just what the OP reports:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
...it doesn't lead to any common spaces, and it leads right into our living quarters.
One more (and last) time:
The private bath and kitchen and often separate entrance from the main portion of the house
still doesn't make a MIL apt anything more than half a notch above room mate let alone the
need for fire egress and common access to other mechanical and utility fixtures.

If someone wants more privacy than this describes... get an actual legal apartment.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
[quote=MrRational;27193566]I don't know what the exact layout is... just what the OP reports:

One more (and last) time:
The private bath and kitchen and often separate entrance from the main portion of the house
still doesn't make a MIL apt anything more than half a notch above room mate let alone the
need for fire egress and common access to other mechanical and utility fixtures.

If someone wants more privacy than this describes... get an actual legal apartment.[/quote]

From the way I read it, the OP has an actual legal apt.
It's the other unit that may not be, due to not having two doors out.
Whether it has the legal requirement for egress for that location is unknown.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
if each apt has a private entry and if there is a door that joins them the door can and should be locked for safety no fire code or insurance co would state said joining door be left unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting