Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM

15 posts, read 53,362 times

Advertisements

I am a new landlord in North Caolina. I had a horrible tenant/roommate who (thank God) moved out yesterday.

When she moved out she still owed me about $200 in utilities. The utilities were split three ways. I pay the utility companies and then bill my tenants.

I said I would deduct the money from the security deposit. She said she must have the deposit (minus $50 for damages) back. She yelled at me for a long time and would not listen to anything I had to say.

She said she will pay me in January when she receives a financial aid check.

I am not a confrontational person and I do not react very well under stress, so I said ok. On the bill I gave her, she wrote "Due January 30th" and signed, and gave it back to me.

After my head cooled down I regretted what I said.

So:

(1) I said ok to pay in January, but she has no written record. She does not have a copy of the bill at all.

(2) The lease states that she is responsible for 1/3 of the utilities. I have the original bills from the utility companies to prove that I did not overcharge her. In fact I gave her some discounts because she was not home often.

I think I will just deduct the money anyways. If she sues me for "breaking my promise" at the small claims court she probably won't have a case.

Is there anything I should know about my situation? If the court decides to hear her case, how should I prepare for the hearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
In other words, you want to sleaze out of the deal you made to make up for being a wimp?
Sure, go ahead, if you don't care about principles.
Better make sure she can't find a way to scream and yell at you afterwards....that will be so confrontational.
If you intend to remain being a LL, better learn how to deal with stress.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
If it's in the lease you should never have agreed (in writing no less) to anything else. Live and learn. Obviously her fits work for her, so why should she change? You have to be the professional businessperson in your transactions.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In other words, you want to sleaze out of the deal you made to make up for being a wimp?
Sure, go ahead, if you don't care about principles.
Better make sure she can't find a way to scream and yell at you afterwards....that will be so confrontational.
If you intend to remain being a LL, better learn how to deal with stress.

and to add.....run your rental like a business, not a charity house. You are going to get yelled at and if you can't handle being a landlord, hire someone who can!!

You also need to learn your state's landlord/tenant laws.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I don't think you can use security deposit for anything but damages but READ your state's laws.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengqi68 View Post
If the court decides to hear her case, how should I prepare for the hearing?
One page with the numbers only. Speak only if asked a Q.

Quote:
Meanwhile...
Is there anything I should know about my situation?
If you continue to operate then raise the rent on everyone and include the utilities.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM

155 posts, read 564,304 times
Your lease should say she is responsible for 1/3 of the utilities, then if it is not paid you can deduct it from the SD, it is part of the rental obligation, as well as any damages and leaving the place as it was when she moved in...

I would raise the rent and include the cost of utilities, all utilities will allow you to budget the cost divided by 12,

Keep it simple..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting