Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I wonder if they could cross dogs with cats and get a dog that meows and buries his poo? How many people are bothered by cats meowing too much? Admittedly their nighttime yowling when in season can be annoying... I hope they enjoy their mating as much as I hate the noise!
One of many reasons to have your pet spayed/neutered ..... the noise level. BTW, the female cats don't get much enjoyment out of sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You only walk your dogs twice a day?? When I was dog-sitting those dogs all got walked MINIMUM 3-4 times a day, for 45 minutes to an hour each time.
If I walked 4 hours a day I would weigh 60 pounds.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not all owners, but enough. Just about every small dog owner I know uses those stupid potty pads because they claim their dog can't be housebroken. If your healthy dog needs to use a potty pad in your house then you're the problem... not the dog. Not 'you' personally but you in general

When I had my Chis, I met a lot of people online, and in person, who were convinced their small dogs, not just Chis, couldn't be housebroken.
My dog is housebroken, he's just stubborn and gets up to pee at night. I don't mind it, my other Chi doesn't. A not housebroken dog will pee anywhere. Mine will only pee where the wee pad is which is on a linoleum floor pad that I made for them that goes over the floor.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Heres a solution. Buy your own place and make your own rules.
That's what we just did and I think a lot of people are doing this and land lords are feeling the pinch. Once the pinch gets bad enough the smug attitudes like yours will turn to panic.

When the ownership class are in a position of leverage they love making renters run the gauntlet just wait until people take your advice and/or the economy starts worsening and people leave.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That's what we just did and I think a lot of people are doing this and land lords are feeling the pinch. Once the pinch gets bad enough the smug attitudes like yours will turn to panic.

When the ownership class are in a position of leverage they love making renters run the gauntlet just wait until people take your advice and/or the economy starts worsening and people leave.
I have often said when no-pet rules become a source of lost revenue landlords will stop doing it.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I have often said when no-pet rules become a source of lost revenue landlords will stop doing it.
When pet damage repairs exceed deposits and/or tenant causes legal proceedings to cover landlord recovery of damages, then landlords will refuse to rent to those who have pets.

My current policy is NO PETS and I have no problem renting my SFRs at competitive prices.

Maybe if my tenants took steps to prevent pet damage I would be more receptive to renting to pet owners.

Your strategy is not working.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Heck, my personal strategy is working fine. I am a homeowner. However, you'd have to have the majority of the population doing this, or just refusing to rent from those that don't allow pets. I believe home ownership is at a very low percent these days.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Hate to say it, but I'm single and looking for my future significant other, and if she has a cat I am totally *****ed! "Love me, love my dog" also means accepting "Love me, love my cat." I'll just have to hope she doesn't have a Siamese. And NO! I'm not cleaning out any cat litter boxes! Her cat, her litter box!

I can walk my dog while she's cleaning her litter box!
As long as you don't expect her to clean up after your dog you'll do just fine.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
When pet damage repairs exceed deposits and/or tenant causes legal proceedings to cover landlord recovery of damages, then landlords will refuse to rent to those who have pets.

My current policy is NO PETS and I have no problem renting my SFRs at competitive prices.

Maybe if my tenants took steps to prevent pet damage I would be more receptive to renting to pet owners.

It only takes a few months of vacancy for that pet damage to look like peanuts. It is incredibly rare for a tenant to do 5 figures worth of damage because of a pet unless your getting totally raped in the rear end by contractors in which case I would suggest doing your own repairs big and small.

But if you are in a saturated market where there are bid wars for your units then you can apply just about any draconian measure you want because you know that long duration vacancies wont happen.

If as a tenant your entering an area where the market lets land lords get away with out of control prices and all kinds of wierd rules then you know its going to be a tenuous living sitaution and the job better be worth it.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Heck, my personal strategy is working fine. I am a homeowner. However, you'd have to have the majority of the population doing this, or just refusing to rent from those that don't allow pets. I believe home ownership is at a very low percent these days.
Yep it is, prices have gone WAY down and interest rates are still low, not historicly low but still really low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting