Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times

Advertisements

I'd like to house-hack a 2-4 unit building in the near future, and I'm considering weather or not to allow my tenants to have pets. I've read horror stories about the damage pets can cause-damage far exceeding the measely 'pet deposit/fee' of a couple hundred bucks.

I'd like to just have a general ban on pets, but two-thirds of Americans have pets- I'd be greatly reducing my tenant pool.

Are cases like the ones I mentioned extreme or are they typical? What would you say is the 'average' amount of damage caused to a unit per year by a pet? Cat, small dog, and large dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Per year isn't really a useful measurement.

People either take good care of their home and keep their pets and house clean and tidy, or they don't.

If they don't, you'll probably have to replace the carpet when they leave.... but that won't necessarily be in a year or every year... it depends how long that tenant stays.

Good referral from their current landlord would be valuable.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I allow pets in my rentals. Damage has been minimal to non-existent really. There are carpet stains, but humans cause the same stains issue anyway, and not really a concern of mine since carpet is only in a few rooms.

There are pet horror stories, there are human horror stories as well. Sometimes that gut feeling may be pretty accurate, you see the person, the car, the way they carry themselves, etc, might be a reflection of your success rate with them and pets.

You could try to rent without pets, and then if you have trouble getting tenants, allow pets. References may or may not be helpful depending on the truthfulness of the prior LL, and if the new people even had pets then, or disclosed them to the LL.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'd like to house-hack a 2-4 unit building in the near future, and I'm considering weather or not to allow my tenants to have pets. I've read horror stories about the damage pets can cause-damage far exceeding the measely 'pet deposit/fee' of a couple hundred bucks.

I'd like to just have a general ban on pets, but two-thirds of Americans have pets- I'd be greatly reducing my tenant pool.

Are cases like the ones I mentioned extreme or are they typical? What would you say is the 'average' amount of damage caused to a unit per year by a pet? Cat, small dog, and large dog.
Large dogs beyond 100 lbs aren't accepted in apt buildings anymore. Neither are certain breeds like Rots, Dobies, Pits,Chows and Akitas. Their sheer size prohibits them from apt dwelling, but these breeds are pretty much nationally banned from apts even if they didn't get to be 100 lbs.
Pet deposits are not $200 anymore. They are $400 and $450. People with emotional support documentation and service pets don't have to pay the deposits, but if a building charges cat or dog rent, that still has to be paid.
Service animals DO NOT have to have documentation, but they do have to perform a function, and be large enough to perform that function. Don't let people tell you emotional support pets are service animals; they are not. People should have a note from a psychologist for an emotional support pet. You will know a service animal. Their owner will be disabled with a mental or a physical disorder, and THAT can be documented.
With all that said, people do wayyyyyy more damage than any pet I've ever owned, or have seen anyone else own. Maybe you should hike up the security deposit to $1,000, and leave the pets out of the equation.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:04 PM

I would only allow dogs if there is a fenced yard, or one that could be fenced by the tenant. One that looks dog-friendly, not a highrise on concrete. I wouldn't want a tenant with a dog who has to be walked to potty, because that means they have to wait a long time, or that they may use puppy pads, and that's a bad sign.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:06 PM

As for small versus large dogs... I dunno. Some large dogs are much lower energy for an apt than small ones, and... they have bigger bladders and are easier to potty train IMHO.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:46 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
All of my single family rental homes are pet friendly with no size or breed restrictions. All pets must be spayed/neutered, vaccinated with no bite history, and dogs must be over 8 mo of age. No outdoor only dogs are allowed (i dont want soneone throwing an unsocialized large dog out back and then having it bite someone, or dig or try to get loose because it is bored and frustrated. I have doggie doors in all of my rentals, and have gates that must be padlocked.
Never had any damage. Renters usually stay longer because they are happy to have a nice home that allows their pet.
I charge a 200. Nonrefundable pet fee for first pet and 100. For each addl pet. I waive the addl pet fee if they adopt from a rescue or animal control (the pound), and show the paperwork as proof of adoption. I want to encourage adoption of pets vs buying simply to help save dogs and cats.
Most of my rentals have tile floors in all rms except bdms, so if a dog is elderly, or sick, they can shut bdm doors, and if it has an accident it will be on tile, if it can't make it out the doggie door.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Honestly, if it was me, I'd not allow pets unless I couldn't rent it otherwise. You will still get applicants with service dogs or companion animals - but - they need to ask you for a "reasonable" accommodation (unless they're actual service dogs like for a blind person). And if the request isn't reasonable (you probably don't have to accept a pit bull if your insurance doesn't allow them), you can say no.

That said, if you do allow pets, I'd only do it if it means you can ask a higher rent. Pet fees are not always legal - they aren't legal in CA, for instance. But, in CA you can ask whatever price you want for an apartment. So, if you list it for $100 or $200 more per month than other rentals, but, you allow dogs of any size that aren't a breed banned by your insurance, you will probably get applicants willing to pay the higher price, if they otherwise have a hard time finding apartments.

You can ask for whatever the legal limit is for security deposits, and you can also just give month-to-month agreements, so you can kick them out with just 30 days notice, if they become a problem.

So, it's up to you to figure out if you want to try asking higher rent for the ability to have their rescued greyhound in your apartment, plus with the month to month they also have the ability to move if they aren't happy. Odds are they will stay anyway, but they'll be happy to pay a premium for the freedom to move when they want, too.

I have a friend who did just that. They asked for a higher rent than market, but would consider animals. Got an applicant with a greyhound who was a teacher, and she's been there for years. The dog is really mellow, no problems. They have chosen not to raise her rent, so she'll stay.

But, the best way to avoid major damage is with good screening - find someone with good credit who wants to keep it - and get a decent deposit they will want back. Next best thing is month to month agreement, so you can easily kick them out.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:14 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Allowing pets, with careful screening, plus an additional deposit, additional rent, and a pet addendum on the lease, seems like the way to go, rather than automatically disqualifying 2/3s of applicants.

I've heard that cat urine in particular is some truly evil stuff, and you can't exactly put out a Glade air freshener to cover up the smell.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'd like to house-hack a 2-4 unit building in the near future
Seek out people who don't use terms like 'hack' for advice. And stop using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting