Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times

Advertisements

How reads the meters? Does the owner gets one bill and he's the one reading the other meters and dividing the bill? Or does the E.C. reads the meters (each one) and sends separate bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times
e.c. reads it and sends separate bills.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
[[[[.......This month I recieved the electric bill in the amount of $192.00. ......]]]]]]

I'm sorry to say, that if it has been cold outside that is probably not qualifying as a high electric bill. The electric companies keep raising the rates. The more the customers try to cut back, the higher the electric companies raise the rates. Around here they are raising rates by 10% every year and have now started to apply for permission to raise rates twice a year. Their last rate raise was 15% and they had just had 10% 6 months prior.

Bottom line is that you can cut your usage in half and still have to pay the same amount.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
earlier (post #3) you told us:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
The electric bill is in the landlords name.
He pays the bill and then emails me the charges...
Now you tell us this:
Quote:
e.c. reads it and sends separate bills.
which is it?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
earlier (post #3) you told us:

Now you tell us this:

which is it?
interesting....that puts a whole new spin on the story.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times
Sorry Ec reads each of the three meters and sends 3 bills (floor 1, floor 2, floor 3); all the L.L's name. He then scans and e-mails the bills to his tenants.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Bottom line is that you can cut your usage in half and still have to pay the same amount.
That's the way it is with utilities, they are forced by the government, or in some cases by real shortages to promote conservation, but still have fixed costs that remain the same regardless of use. In the case of hydro power, for example, the electricity is almost free for them once they have built the power plants,
since it's generated by water flow from snowmelt. With employee benefits and pay going up they hae to raise rates to maintain the level of service. With water, there is some savings in from conservation less treatment costs, but when the water supply is pure, a very minimal amount of treatment is required. Whether you use 10 CCF or 1,000 CCF they still have to read the meter, bill you, process the payment, take on and off orders, collect delinquent bills, and maintain the water mains.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
Homeowner did a remodel project in this home I am renting. From what I could investigate this house was under a remodel which included structural HVAC electrical and plumbing permits were pulled there is a lot of traffic from the second floor where he installed two 20-amp heaters in each room in restroom five of them in total with that draft coming in we have to be running heaters about 24/7 is like running five dryers all day long what can I do about this or who do I take this to paying over 300 a month on Xcel bill

Old 04-24-2019, 04:39 PM

177 posts, read 121,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I'm confused as to what your landlord has to do with this. Didn't the bill come from your electric company? Have you called them?
why are you saying this?

I had a similar problem. The landlord was not properly maintaining the heating/AC unti and heat pump, etc. was sticking. Electric bill went sky high. My utility company had nothing at all to do with it. It was not a problem with the meter.

This can happen with ANY kind of malfunctioning large appliance (water heater, refrigerator, etc.) and esp. if there are numerous non-energy efficient old appliances in the home, even if it's only a small place. z

A neighbor's LL was doing some remodelling work while tenant was on vacation......contractors were using high-pulling devices that put a load on the electric --- bill was sky high and LL was trying to argue that he should "speak to the electric company" and kept blaming others.

Make SURE, as a tenant, that regular maintenance on large appliances is noted in the lease and scheduled. Otherwise, as a tenant, you are going to end up with some pretty large bills when stuff fails to work properly, and end up consuming way more energy than they should be consuming, as they start "dying" from lack of maintenance.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM

67 posts, read 62,947 times
Quote:
Yes, it is electric heat. The electric bill is in the landlords name. He pays the bill and then emails me the charges, so that is what he has to do with this.
I live in Canada and at the most my electric heating bill was $150 for a 3 bedroom LARGE apartment. That billmakes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting