Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM

64 posts, read 214,383 times

Advertisements

We are going to be renting an apartment at a complex and the only options available are first floor of a three story structure or third floor of a four story structure (so almost like a middle floor). There are no top floor options available.

The first floor options are at the back of the complex facing woods and a nice rock wall so more secluded but this also might mean not as much security for my new wife.

The third floor option looks at another apartment and not as nice of views plus higher stairs to walk with no elevators and more noise chances (below and above us). But the security would be better in terms of no break in and less pest chances.

So I have no idea which one to pick? Need help! Thanks. The complex itself seems very safe and is only a year old so whichever one we pick will be a brand new apartment that's never been lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
above the streetlights

Old 05-24-2017, 04:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Since you seem to be concerned about security, you should choose the middle floor apartment. I could never live on the first floor, even in the safest of areas, I wouldn't want people to have such easy access to my home or be able to look inside and see every thing.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Above the vehicle headlights.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:44 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
I would never live anywhere else other than a top floor.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Me, I'd keep looking until you found a third floor with an elevator. Going to be a pain in the neck carrying a year old child, stroller, lots of groceries, kid's stuff up, etc. and down stairs . Plus having to either carry the little one for another year or so and then having to help them up and down stairs for quite some time.
Non elevator might be OK when a kid is 4-5 or older but until then an annoyance.

I don't see the first floor as being an option. Not safe enough and no privacy.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Something else to consider is heating/cooling costs depending on your location. The middle unit will likely stay warmer in cold weather, whereas the bottom unit should stay cooler in hot weather.

Personally I won't live below anyone because of the possibility of noise, so I wouldn't choose either one.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:41 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Me, I'd keep looking until you found a third floor with an elevator. Going to be a pain in the neck carrying a year old child, stroller, lots of groceries, kid's stuff up, etc. and down stairs . Plus having to either carry the little one for another year or so and then having to help them up and down stairs for quite some time.
Non elevator might be OK when a kid is 4-5 or older but until then an annoyance.

I don't see the first floor as being an option. Not safe enough and no privacy.
Exactly. The effort for moving into a top floor apartment is worth it in security, view and not having some butthead stomping over you or dropping thousand-pound weights on the floor at 4am.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I've only every lived in top floor apartments, so as others said, I would probably continue looking.

Security is a big factor, but I honestly would probably choose the first floor out of your two choices. During my last tenure in an apartment, I had not one but two noisy neighbors below me. One played music all the time and my floor shook from the bass. The other yelled on his cell phone night and day. He was only below me for 2 months before I moved out and he managed to wake me out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night THREE different times yelling "What the f*ck, Bro" into his phone. That was his favorite phrase. So, my point is, a middle apartment would probably be my last choice due to the noise. You'll get it from above AND below. At least on the first floor you will only get the overhead noise.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 PM

289 posts, read 220,015 times
I'm the complete opposite, I would only live on the first floor. It's just more convenient for me in every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting