Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM

2,917 posts, read 5,140,045 times

Advertisements

My landlord has hired a workcrew to do some repairs on the apartment structure. They've been here a couple weeks now, lasting another six weeks or so.

They're very noisy: banging, drilling, ripping, etc., but that doesn't bother me at all.

Problem is, they swear constantly, it seems. F!, F this s, MF that, holy S, are you f-ing kidding me...N word? N word, listen to me, dude (I think it's a young black male uttering this).

Today, their manager wasn't present and one or two of them (or maybe three or four workers), started spitting off my balcony I share with other units. Hoooccckkkk....that type of noise. Don't know if they spit down to the bushes and driveway area, or directly on outdoor hallway carpeted floors. Disgusting, but guys will be guys, right? Oops, make that white and black trash guys will be white and black trash guys.

We have other tenants here in the daytime, and not much privacy, as the efficiency units are swished together like a motel layout, over three floors. I wonder if they're bothered also.

I haven't really peaked out the windows to see what they look like, but it's likely males 18-22, white trash at its finest, and with the Boston accent. Sorry, moderator can call me on this but I feel it's true, though a possible hate crime to use those words. Yes, Boston has plenty of trash though we believe you all believe we're proper and preppy, no?

I've been here all my adult life but didn't grow up here. It's supposedly the greatest city in the world, according to some locals -- and I'm lucky to have lived here, but are we really better (more educated and polished) than the rest of the country? Rhetorical question, in a way. I met someone from my birthplace, St. Paul, Minnesota, who said he's going back to MN once his child is school age; mentioned how he's never seen so much white trash as in Boston. But I'm sure this scene could play out in any working class area of any city of the country. I realize I shouldn't be so harsh on Boston.

I should be a man and speak to them all. I would feel intimidated as a 52 year old gay male. They obviously know where I live. I plan to call the landlord and ask him to tell the contractor to warn his workers that no cursing or spitting will be tolerated on clients' properties.

Am I a "puss" for calling the landlord rather than confronting foul-mouthed young American males.

It's one thing for them to curse on a commercial construction area, but a residential?

What a country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
Can you walk a petition around and get many of the other residents to sign it with a demand that the social behavior of workers be within everyday communication norms and workers will not "use verbal or nonverbal profane remarks or offensive actions such a spitting or tossing trash" etc., etc.....??? There is definitely more ammo when numbers of people band together to make an objection.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
My landlord has hired a workcrew..
Problem is, they swear constantly, it seems. F!, F this s, MF that, holy S, are you f-ing kidding me...N word? N word, listen to me, dude (I think it's a young black male uttering this).

Am I a "puss" for calling the landlord rather than confronting...
No. That is the landlords job... to represent your interests.

But it probably wouldn't hurt your development as an adult to take some steps on your own
when things of this nature present themselves.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,390,680 times
Stay out of it. Don't say a word. One of them might try to get back at you. Do something to your car or something with your mail or toss your belongings off the balconly or start swearing louder and more often just to get back at you. Or pick a fight with you.

If they aren't sure who snitched, they might stir up lots of trouble in the complex.

6 weeks will go by quickly.

If you think they were bad before they got snitched on, you ought to see how they act after they get snitched on. You really don't want to find out.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Stay out of it. Don't say a word. One of them might try to get back at you. Do something to your car or something with your mail or toss your belongings off the balconly or start swearing louder and more often just to get back at you. Or pick a fight with you.

If they aren't sure who snitched, they might stir up lots of trouble in the complex.

6 weeks will go by quickly.

If you think they were bad before they got snitched on, you ought to see how they act after they get snitched on. You really don't want to find out.
Not a big Clint Eastwood or Dirty Harry fan, are you

Gee, how many bullies broke your glasses?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM

18,372 posts, read 31,481,645 times
are you kidding me???

this is what men do, get over it.
once the work is done, they will be gone.

your a 52 year old gay man, and cursing upsets you? your kidding.

say something to them and they will laugh you into next week.

just deal with it man, it is only cursing.

BTW, i too am on your team. but hey, i curse too.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
My landlord has hired a workcrew to do some repairs on the apartment structure. They've been here a couple weeks now, lasting another six weeks or so.

They're very noisy: banging, drilling, ripping, etc., but that doesn't bother me at all.

Today, their manager wasn't present and one or two of them (or maybe three or four workers), started spitting off my balcony I share with other units. Hoooccckkkk....that type of noise. Don't know if they spit down to the bushes and driveway area, or directly on outdoor hallway carpeted floors. Disgusting, but guys will be guys, right? Oops, make that white and black trash guys will be white and black trash guys.

We have other tenants here in the daytime, and not much privacy, as the efficiency units are swished together like a motel layout, over three floors. I wonder if they're bothered also.

I haven't really peaked out the windows to see what they look like, but it's likely males 18-22, white trash at its finest, and with the Boston accent. Sorry, moderator can call me on this but I feel it's true, though a possible hate crime to use those words. Yes, Boston has plenty of trash though we believe you all believe we're proper and preppy, no?

I've been here all my adult life but didn't grow up here. It's supposedly the greatest city in the world, according to some locals -- and I'm lucky to have lived here, but are we really better (more educated and polished) than the rest of the country? Rhetorical question, in a way. I met someone from my birthplace, St. Paul, Minnesota, who said he's going back to MN once his child is school age; mentioned how he's never seen so much white trash as in Boston. But I'm sure this scene could play out in any working class area of any city of the country. I realize I shouldn't be so harsh on Boston.

I should be a man and speak to them all. I would feel intimidated as a 52 year old gay male. They obviously know where I live. I plan to call the landlord and ask him to tell the contractor to warn his workers that no cursing or spitting will be tolerated on clients' properties.

Am I a "puss" for calling the landlord rather than confronting foul-mouthed young American males.

It's one thing for them to curse on a commercial construction area, but a residential?

What a country...

come to where I live in brooklyn, your ears would melt.
LOL

cursing???? your kiddign?????

Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,492,974 times
Its simply unprofessional. Make an amonymous phone call to their office.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Its simply unprofessional. Make an amonymous phone call to their office.

unprofessional????

they are a bunch of repair men doing construction, they curse, that what men do, they are allowed to.

they are not sitting in a corporate office having to be politically correct.

it is obvious the original poster has way too much time on his hands to be offended by hearing a bunch of men curse.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,492,974 times
Sorry, thats not what real men do, its what men who have not outgrown adolesence do. And yes, its business, and they are supposedly professionals. One does not need to be in an office to know what polite behavior in a public workplace is. "Thats just what men do" is just a crutch for people who have low standards. What i there were children about, is it still ok with you? Should mommy have to explain to her six year old girl that that is just how men are? This is why there are services like angies list. To separate the men from the boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting