Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM

23 posts, read 36,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How can you do that and still draw unemployment? I thought that that was illegal ...
You can still work part time when you are on unemployment as long as you state your wages. Your earnings that week will be subtracted from the unemployment check. Working temp or consulting in DC would allow me to meet potential employers and that would not be possible sitting in my hometown of Elkins.

FYI I am making some progress finding someone to rent to me. Two landlords are thinking of renting to my wife and I if we pay a HUGE Security Deposit. I will know in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
I wanted to move to Chicago without a job last year, so looked into the YMCA in Evanston. Was told I must have a job. When I mentioned six months of cash reserves, was told it wouldn't matter sans job. After all, I was told I could have a gambling problem and blow it all in no time...and still have no job.

So, even the YMCA has these standards, surprising to many, I'm sure!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
A note about the DC area- higher salaries do NOT negate the higher cost of living. In the Northern Virginia forum there is a person asking if he should move from North Carolina, where he is making $100,000 per year, to the DC area for a promotion, where he would be making $150,000 per year. The vast majority of people told him it wouldn't be worth it. Just to give you an idea of what you'd be dealing with.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
A note about the DC area- higher salaries do NOT negate the higher cost of living. In the Northern Virginia forum there is a person asking if he should move from North Carolina, where he is making $100,000 per year, to the DC area for a promotion, where he would be making $150,000 per year. The vast majority of people told him it wouldn't be worth it. Just to give you an idea of what you'd be dealing with.

That's what I've been thinking as I've been reading this thread. 100K isn't a lot of money to begin with and when that's ALL you have with no other income no decent landlord is going to take that risk.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM

We STILL have not found anyone to rent to us. We offered a huge deposit and six months rent in advance (the entire lease). The answer was still no!

FYI: we have FICO scores of over 780 and well over $150 in the bank. (The $100 K was our profit from the sale of our home only) This is crazy!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I'm assuming you're trying to do this long distance and can pretty much assure you that that isn't going to work. As has been suggested, make the move and live in a temporary place for a couple of weeks and then look at local listings from there. You'll have so much better luck when you can go and personally meet a LL and see a place - and you should NEVER take a rental sight unseen anyway!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-to-dc View Post
We STILL have not found anyone to rent to us. We offered a huge deposit and six months rent in advance (the entire lease). The answer was still no!

FYI: we have FICO scores of over 780 and well over $150 in the bank. (The $100 K was our profit from the sale of our home only) This is crazy!

It's not crazy...you're throwing huge red flags into the mix..haven't you read anything that's been posted here????

No decent landlord is going to take 6 mths rent up front, no decent landlord is going to take you with only 100K on hand and no other income coming in.

I suggest, as others have also suggested, move your things into storage and rent a short stay hotel for 6 mths and find your ass a job!!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
More advice: look outside the beltway. rentals in DC are either welfare slums and don't look very safe, or else , if they are in a good neighborhood, they are extremely expensive. The working classes in DC live outside the beltway and commute in.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM

No I am in the DC area living in one of those extended stay hotels and meeting with rental agents and landlords trying to get someone to rent to us. They are telling us no to our face. We are seeing the units in person.

We look like professional accountants, are very polite and dress well. I don't have green teeth or look like a West Virginia redneck. We just want a roof over our heads and don't want to live in a hotel for six months, but instead want to pull our stuff out of storage and move to Fairfax VA and start working at getting a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's not crazy...you're throwing huge red flags into the mix..haven't you read anything that's been posted here????

No decent landlord is going to take 6 mths rent up front, no decent landlord is going to take you with only 100K on hand and no other income coming in.

I suggest, as others have also suggested, move your things into storage and rent a short stay hotel for 6 mths and find your ass a job!!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-to-dc View Post
...want to pull our stuff out of storage and move to Fairfax VA
and (then) start working at getting a job.
Again, turn that round. Find the job(s), any job really, first.
Then find a place to live... then find the nicer/better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting