Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times

Advertisements

And this is where I get confused... why does a LL need to give a "good" reason (or any reason at all) to say "I've decided to rent the unit to someone else". Period.

No discrimination. No hurt feelings. No reporting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM

141 posts, read 234,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The majority of Section 8 voucher holders are seniors and/or disabled.

That would be my thinking. It seems like Section 8 get's a bad name and lables as a result of "welfare mothers". The sentiment seeems to be, ONLY Section 8 voucher holders are "bad" tenants.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
The problem isn't someone living on Sec 8 for a year or two to get their life in order. THe whole welfare state has become a way of life for many people and their children. Maybe if the govt cut it off after 2 years, they could have a database of sec 8 tenants who would like to share an aparment or house rental.

All the democrat politicians want to do is increase spending and entitlements while raising taxes and gutting the military.

Witness this "updated" story about a "poor" 60 year old woman and her 22 year old (!) kid living on the dole for years:

Plenty of reason to be merry this Christmas for Schaumburg woman - DailyHerald.com

Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
The problem isn't someone living on Sec 8 for a year or two to get their life in order. THe whole welfare state has become a way of life for many people and their children. Maybe if the govt cut it off after 2 years, they could have a database of sec 8 tenants who would like to share an aparment or house rental.

All the democrat politicians want to do is increase spending and entitlements while raising taxes and gutting the military.

Witness this "updated" story about a "poor" 60 year old woman and her 22 year old (!) kid living on the dole for years:

Plenty of reason to be merry this Christmas for Schaumburg woman - DailyHerald.com

Exaclty. Why are ppl getting foodstamps for years? Why are ppl getting sec 8 for years? Why are women being allowed to plop out child after child just to get more free handouts? Why??

The current system has bred generation after generation of freeloaders...if you took it all away they'd have no idea how to take care of themselves.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
I found the orginal story It doesn't say what her disability is, but she seems to have not worked since her parents' business closed --20 years ago!!

Also, she managed to raise a son and is now going to college with said son, so there is really no reason she can't work

Heck, even the local Xerox Company here hires at home phone reps

Schaumburg apt. upgrades could leave some homeless - DailyHerald.com

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
It's not allowed to advertise like that but you don't have to rent to section 8 which is kind of strange...

I would not rent my properties to section 8 due to all the issues that I have seen as a professional, the few good ones don't weigh out against all the bad ones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
First off, NO, I am not looking for a Section 8 apartment. I was just curious as to the reasons why property owners do not rent to Sec.8 tenants. The reason I am asking is because I am looking for a new apartment and I happen to notice "NO Section 8" on many of the advertisements and "Apartment For Rent" signs.

Thanks,
r.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Healthy people living on HUD/Section 8 HAVE to work! Even if it is volunteer. XX amount of Hours per week or they kick off to program! My sons friend just had this happen to him He is now living in a Homeless Shelter. Even there he works 40 hour a week for Room & Board & $10 a week. So There again Some has no clue what they are talking about!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, a lot of landlords have had serious problems with The Housing Authority itself. The Housing Authority can be very difficult to work with and many landlords do not want to deal with them. So, it's not just that some of the tenants have entitlement attitudes or are gaming the system.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Section 8 is a two-edged sword for landlord.

On the one hand, taking a section 8 tenant will sometimes bring above market rents (because of the idiotic way the government does everything) and makes payment of rent more reliable.

OTOH, Section 8 tenants typically generate a lot of complaints from other tenants and neighbors. I've heard a lot of horror stories about them, the usual stuff -- excessive noise, trash all over the place, sometimes drug dealings and criminal activity.

So renting to Section 8 will often mean driving off better quality tenants, if that's what you are looking for. I'd say it only pays to rent to Section 8 tenants if the place you own is a bit down at heel, and unable to attract higher quality private pay tenants anyway.

That may sound harsh, but I try to be realistic.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
First off, NO, I am not looking for a Section 8 apartment. I was just curious as to the reasons why property owners do not rent to Sec.8 tenants. The reason I am asking is because I am looking for a new apartment and I happen to notice "NO Section 8" on many of the advertisements and "Apartment For Rent" signs.
I won't rent to section 8's for several reasons, the first being my experience with how the nice townhouse/condo development I lived in when I first got married changed almost over night when vouchers were given to folks who lived in subsidized housing in another town (same county) moved in when that other town decided to knock down the subsidized high rises and put up low-income townhouses.

The second reason is b/c the city that I live close to (and I am a LL in), is chock full of "poor me's" who love to live off the tax payer dime. Their jobs tend to be hanging out on the porch waiting for their "customers" to show up. They scatter like cockroaches when someone (like a real estate agent with a buyer in tow) shows up. In an apt legally fitting for 5 to live in, you've got 10. 3 sets of bunk beds in the living room and you haven't even seen the kitchen yet. Screaming babies and preggo mami's everywhere.

They use and abuse and literally take the kitchen (they leave the sink) with them when they get tossed out.

They speak English until they chose not to.

I don't need that headache.

I don't advertise "no section 8'ers". I just don't return their calls. I don't want anything to do with them and the baggage that comes with them these days. My first rental property I bought from my parents and we had an 80 year old woman living on the first floor. Section 8. Wonderful woman. Had lived there for 50 years. She died in the apt at the age of 97. Her kids, who had $$, pretty much left her where she was. I could never figure out why. The apt was pristine and we took good care of her b/c her kids and her grand kids sucked.

She was the exception. The rule, well, I won't rent to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting