Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM

118 posts, read 887,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does the government pay if they damage the property beyond what the security deposit covers? NO But it does make getting S8 renewal hard. 2 damaged apts for no clear reason gets you a warning 3 you get kicked off S8.
ha! and that's why most LL's don't want to be the first. That's too many chances. A slap on the wrist. It should be one strike, you're out, because there is no excuse for it to happen even once.

There are a few awful stories on the web of bad tenants breaking windows, throwing trash in the yard, being psychotic. No one wants to be the recipient of that kind of craziness.

The scary part is that it's sometimes/often hard to tell during the interview if they're crazy or not. They're well behaved the first time they meet you. Then their true colors come out later.

People who have jobs are less likely to excessively trash a place because the LL has legal ways to recoup losses e.g garnishing wages, freezing bank accounts, etc. These guys have something to lose, whereas some on government assistance actually have nothing to lose, and are therefore untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
beat up car lol maybe that is the car they can afford i know people with a jacked up car and a perfect house more than not
I mean really beat up, with trash laying around inside. It's not often that you see one, but when it rolls around, you just know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooooob View Post
ha! and that's why most LL's don't want to be the first. That's too many chances. A slap on the wrist. It should be one strike, you're out, because there is no excuse for it to happen even once.

There are a few awful stories on the web of bad tenants breaking windows, throwing trash in the yard, being psychotic. No one wants to be the recipient of that kind of craziness.

The scary part is that it's sometimes/often hard to tell during the interview if they're crazy or not. They're well behaved the first time they meet you. Then their true colors come out later.

People who have jobs are less likely to excessively trash a place because the LL has legal ways to recoup losses e.g garnishing wages, freezing bank accounts, etc. These guys have something to lose, whereas some on government assistance actually have nothing to lose, and are therefore untouchable.

I mean really beat up, with trash laying around inside. It's not often that you see one, but when it rolls around, you just know.
when i worked one job in college as a painter my car was beat up mcdonalds bags in car empty soda bottle i would clean car one every other week but home was and still is always spotless. the places i manage no for a guy i or his son or him ask to see prosepective tenets curent place. we do not care if the out side is a dump as long as their 4 walls are clean. and we ride by at night to see if they like to party loudly.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I spent my hard earned money when I worked on Land/homes NOT transportation. Long as it got me to & from my jobs I didnt care how it looked! At times working 3 jobs I didnt have time to pickup all those Fast Food containers LOL Guess my $1200 per Week income wouldnt let me rent from you! LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
beat up car lol maybe that is the car they can afford i know people with a jacked up car and a perfect house more than not
Old car that is clean is perfectly fine. Burger wrappers and chicken bones all over the floor and the ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts is a warning that the people live like slobs and don't notice the filth they are living in.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Old car that is clean is perfectly fine. Burger wrappers and chicken bones all over the floor and the ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts is a warning that the people live like slobs and don't notice the filth they are living in.
was not that bad had 2 garbage bags to be exact 1 for lunch garbage that i just dropped in the trash and one for soda bottles that i gave to a homeless guy hell back in the early 90's i gave him about 15 20 a week in soda bottles from me and what ever other guys from work drank on the job sites. the best i ever had was a guy show up with his wife drinking a beer when they walked up to me on showing the place they did not get the apt. both of them had a good jobs too. rode by their place they was leaving and you could smell the stench from the road. tight after them sec 8 people came to look at the place when by their place they had the cleanest yard on the block. they keep both sides of the duplex up,.we rented to the sec 8 the rented a 4 bd in a four apt house and they keep the whole yard nice and planted flowers and all so some sec 8 do take pride in what they got.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
I live in the city and around a lot of section 8 residents and if I still had property I would not rent to any person applying as a section 8. These people and their kids do not care about the residents in the area and their property in which they have to pay taxes and maintain. So no get rid of SECTION 8 - this is only for property owner who want to make money off the state.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
It cracks me up how people post about "assumption" and "bigots," when the decrease in property values once Section 8 comes into an area and the uptick in crime have been empirically proven by nonpartisan sources.

Statistics edumacation, we needz it.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
If someone is continually a taker, they won't have any respect for other's things, property, etc.

If I were a landlor, I sure wouldnt' want a lot of non-motivated, non-working people who are able to work, renting from me.
many people on sec 8 are old or disabled so can not work then you have low income. not all sec 8 are non working lazy. many have a job and can not afford a nice safe place or old or disabled and on a fixed income. do not lump all as one thing.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
If someone is continually a taker, they won't have any respect for other's things, property, etc.

If I were a landlor, I sure wouldnt' want a lot of non-motivated, non-working people who are able to work, renting from me.

How is someone who EARNS $15K annually a non-motivated, non-working continual taker? You'd probably also reject them for insuffiicient income.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
It cracks me up how people post about "assumption" and "bigots," when the decrease in property values once Section 8 comes into an area and the uptick in crime have been empirically proven by nonpartisan sources.

Statistics edumacation, we needz it.

How does that work? How does the 'market' know which properties are Section 8 and which are not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting