Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times

Advertisements

I am a landlord and the rental property is in Charles County, MD. What legal action do you recommend for a tenant that has not paid rent that was due Jan. 1, 2013. The tenant has already received notice that the lease will not be renewed and has to vacate on Jan. 31st. Do I wait to sue the tenant in court if the tenant does not pay rent before the move out date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
I take it you didn't have them pay last month in advance when they moved in? Did you get a security deposit? Did you send the notice of non-renewal certified and have proof they received it?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM

174 posts, read 639,872 times
It's been less than 3 days, and the 1st was a holiday. Unless they pay rent via a method other than the USPS and/or they have been late with the rent before, I'd wait until the mail comes today before starting to freak out. Or you could call them and ask where it is.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetreas View Post
What legal action do you recommend for a tenant that has not paid rent that was due Jan. 1, 2013.
1) Ask your attorney what your lease and state law requires (and allows) each of you to do.
Follow his suggestions or have him do this **legal process** for you. Pay attention and learn.

2) Knock on the door and ask to speak with tenant.
Look around for the tell tale signs that he is packing up to move out by Jan 31.

3) Before you leave... give him a copy of the "pay or quit" notice that your lawyer gave you.
(the first step in the process)
Quote:
Do I wait to sue the tenant in court if the tenant does not pay rent before the move out date?
First decide which is more important to you 1) getting your property back whole and promptly
so that you can then re-let it to a new tenant or 2) going to Court to get a "win" and and the order
to pay some money (neither of which actually gets the tenant out or money in your pocket).

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
It's been less than 3 days, and the 1st was a holiday. Unless they pay rent via a method other than the USPS and/or they have been late with the rent before, I'd wait until the mail comes today before starting to freak out. Or you could call them and ask where it is.
This makes perfect sense. All else is dramatical "what ifs".

Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you are sure that you did not collect first and last moths rent (in which case, he has already paid rent for this month), then the first thing to do is to give him a polite call to tell him that you have not received the rent and to remind him that he did not pay first and last. Nearly all of my tenants will try to convince me that they paid last month and they will back down immediately. I suspect that they genuinely do not remember.

If rent doesn't appear, then you give a pay or quit at the first day that it is legal in your state. That will almost always get you your rent. Tenants hope that you won't bother and that they can live out their deposit.

If it doesn't, then you need to proceed with the eviction. Don't let it slide. Occasionally, when a tenant doesn't pay rent and the landlord doesn't do anything, the tenant decides that he will stay there for free until the landlord does take him to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting