Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,183 times

Advertisements

I SAW the legal tenant's lease, they are exactly the same.

The reason the gf moved the first time is because the LL and her had a screaming match over her trashing the grounds. Not the LL's fault she moved back in. I know he doesn't want her here either, but he doesn't want to deal with the eviction process. I get that. But I'm having to hear their bs, 12-16 hrs most days. What's inconvenient and expensive for him, is miserable for me, and it is effecting my health.

Lesson for renters with common walls--don't sign a long term lease since you can never know who will be living next door to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
No point in explaining the issues further or trying to defend myself.
You're absolutely right. You asked for advice and people went out of their way to take the time to give it to you. It seems you just don't like what you hear and are bound and determined to do what you want to do so there's nothing more to be said. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
What would you do if you owned your home and next door lived an x-convict?

Or, what would you do if a child molester moved into the neighborhood where you owned a home?

Residential Landlords have to provide a habitable dwelling in compliance with applicable law...

If I truly believed my family was in danger... lease or not, I would be out of there and let the chips fall where they may.

At the most it is a matter of dollars... how much to buy out the lease or move and keep paying till the Landlord has a new renter.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Thank you Ultrarunner. I know I'm going to have eat a chunk of money regardless, I'm just trying to figure a way to limit my exposure. I would have thought the LL would try and get them out before they established tenancy, which I believe is either 30 or 60 days in CA?

My family is urging me to move asap. It is only a matter of time before somebody calls the police, and I will be the most likely suspect. My brother, who's an RE broker was the one that thought he maybe had to disclose the burglary info.

I get that I made a stupid mistake resigning the lease, but I trusted my LL. Would anyone want to live next to a parolee that's a registered sex offender, with convictions of burglary (in their living space) and drug dealing? I think other LL's are offended that I want to find a loophole to get out of this mess, but if the LL is going to take advantage of his legal rights, why shouldn't I?

I also feel betrayed by the family member that's the legal tenant. While I understand she wanted to protect him, she lied to me and made it sound like he only had charges for grafitti as a teenager and subsequent violations for marijuana. Now she's abandoned the unit, because she has had enough of him, and I'm stuck with a very expensive problem. This was someone that I helped out quite a bit, I even offered to allow her to have my 2nd program rent free so that she could go to college full time. And I now realize how big a bullet I dodged that she didn't take that offer up.

Again, thank you.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
and keep paying till the Landlord has a new renter.
The above is helpful. I was told this was what happened if you break the lease in CA, but I wasn't sure if the info was correct. This would be reasonable!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
The above is helpful. I was told this was what happened if you break the lease in CA, but I wasn't sure if the info was correct. This would be reasonable!
The Landlord must actively market the unit... in other words... he/she cannot just wait till the lease is over.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM

UR--

If I did it this way, gave notice, but kept paying, would another LL have an issue renting to me?

Thank you.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
UR--

If I did it this way, gave notice, but kept paying, would another LL have an issue renting to me?

Thank you.
Would you still have enough income to qualify?

We also check references for the last two landlords.

I find it much better if the applicant is upfront about problems and I let them know this... don't want any surprises when I run the credit report and check references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting