Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I don't care what the law or the LL says.
Well that's nice - then you won't be surprised when you're unceremoniously dumped on the street scrambling for a new home. I'm guessing that "diplomacy" to you is a foreign word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Is there any sort of law about landlords entering your place? I sure wouldn't want the LL just coming in at any time without advanced notice.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
That's a great way to get evicted! Its also a fantastic way to lose your security deposit!

The truth is that the tough-guy attitude is the wrong way to deal with your landlord.
Well, I'm not a dummy. I'd put the locks back in before I move out. I actually have used a set of the same dead bolts for more than a few apartments I've lived in. Never lost a dime of my deposit.

And evicted? Please. Any landlord that kicks out a paying, credit worthy, clean, respectful tenant like myself is a fool.

And its a not a tough guy attitude, its call privacy. I've encountered way too may "toughguy" LL's actually when looking for apartments. They're generally the type that view their tenants as almost serfs living in their kingdom.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
Is there any sort of law about landlords entering your place? I sure wouldn't want the LL just coming in at any time without advanced notice.
Of course there are. (Good idea now for you to start reading your state's landlord tenant laws which you'll probably find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum! )

Most states require a LL give 24 hours notice before entering a tenant's space unless in case of emergency (e.g. fire, burst pipes, gas leak, etc.).

Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Of course there are. (Good idea now for you to start reading your state's landlord tenant laws which you'll probably find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum! )

Most states require a LL give 24 hours notice before entering a tenant's space unless in case of emergency (e.g. fire, burst pipes, gas leak, etc.).
Super!! Thank you!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not a dummy. I'd put the locks back in before I move out. I actually have used a set of the same dead bolts for more than a few apartments I've lived in. Never lost a dime of my deposit.

And evicted? Please. Any landlord that kicks out a paying, credit worthy, clean, respectful tenant like myself is a fool.

And its a not a tough guy attitude, its call privacy. I've encountered way too may "toughguy" LL's actually when looking for apartments. They're generally the type that view their tenants as almost serfs living in their kingdom.
Funny, I could have sworn I heard very loud chest-thumping. Did you have something to contribute to this thread or are you just having a banty rooster moment?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Funny, I could have sworn I heard very loud chest-thumping. Did you have something to contribute to this thread or are you just having a banty rooster moment?
Banty rooster moment? Is that in a sticky post somewhere?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
I don't care what the law or the LL says. I'm living there and I'm changing the locks. I would be especially adamant about this if I were a single female.

Need to inspect the place? Call me or ring the door bell.

I agree 100 percent.

my home where I pay my money to live, NO, you are not getting a key. You will get my phone number and call me if need be. That should be simple enough.

there should be no reason to have a key to my apartment when you have my phone number.

and that falls under that catagory of tough !

Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree 100 percent.

my home where I pay my money to live, NO, you are not getting a key. You will get my phone number and call me if need be. That should be simple enough.

there should be no reason to have a key to my apartment when you have my phone number.

With all due respect that falls under, "I have no clue about my state's landlord tenant laws or even Federal laws and, even if I did, I don't give a damn and I'm just going to be a scofflaw until I get hauled off in cuffs!"

Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree 100 percent.

I feel your sentiment, but in honesty, it is NOT your home and it is NOT YOUR apartment, unless you are paying a mortgage on it and your name is on the deed.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but when you lease/rent a car, do you honestly think that the car company gives you the only key to a car they own? The same applies when you temporarily lease an apartment. I can't imagine owning and being responsible for a property and not having a way to enter it in case of an emergency, especially when you are liable for repairs and damage that may be incurred due to not being able to access the property in question.

I surely hope there is not an emergency in the place that you temporarily reside while you are unable to get to the phone, unable to get there in short notice, or away in vacation. It's simply irresponsible if you ask me, I guess that's tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting