Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,490 times

Advertisements

If I filed a previous rental complex under bankruptcy will it hurt my chances to rent from a future complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
If it shows up on your credit report, then I would say yes. I will automatically reject anyone who has ever gone to collections with a former landlord. If you included an amount in a bankruptcy, I assume they had a judgment against you.

Actually, in my opinion, including it in the bankruptcy makes it much worse than just a judgment. If they took you to collections and you eventually paid it off, that is bad enough. If you filed bankruptcy and never paid them, I would definitely not rent to you under any circumstances.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleer View Post
If I filed a previous rental complex under bankruptcy....
How long ago was the BK?
How many other accounts did you stiff? What were the circumstances?

On a practical basis the new LL has assurance that you won't be doing this again. Right?
So... if your income is at least 3X the rent and you've been current on all your bills since the BK
then it mostly just comes down to how many other applicants they have to choose from.

This doesn't bode well for you as the rental market has an abundance of good applicants now.
The more "down market" complex's and private LL's will be your best bet.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I will not take an applicant who is in the middle of an active bankruptcy proceeding. I might take an applicant with a discharged bankruptcy. It depends upon what caused the bankruptcy and what their payments looked like before and what they are paying after.

I never take an applicant who has stiffed a landlord for rent. So, all I can say is don't bother to apply with me because I won't accept you.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
Where I live, they ONLY look at the FICO. They don't care a bit about your personal circumstances, etc., etc. They won't take even a year's worth of payments up front. Only that FICO score.

So, my FICO was 830 1 month before filing BK, dropped to 521 immediately after BK, rose to 600 after BK discharged and now (5 months post BK) I have to foreclose which will drop the number 150 points.

Looks like I will be living in a shelter with a FICO of 450.

Fair Isaac is not very fair. Looks like it needs a complete overhaul.

For the judges out there, I had no balance on charge card, had only mortgage and car payment for many years. Employer kept cutting pay, 40% pay cut.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanwriter View Post
Where I live, they ONLY look at the FICO. They don't care a bit about your personal circumstances, etc., etc. They won't take even a year's worth of payments up front. Only that FICO score.

So, my FICO was 830 1 month before filing BK, dropped to 521 immediately after BK, rose to 600 after BK discharged and now (5 months post BK) I have to foreclose which will drop the number 150 points.

For the judges out there, I had no balance on charge card, had only mortgage and car payment for many years. Employer kept cutting pay, 40% pay cut.
Jean, I really feel for you, honestly I do. In my state, California, I talked with my state representative explaining that if evictions were easier (and faster!), it would enable landlords to be more lenient and give second chances to tenants that have had tough luck. But it can be such a struggle to remove a delinquent tenant out, landlords do what they can to filter them from the start. This leaves anyone with a compromised record out on the street. Somehow politicians think that is better.

This gives an idea what landlords deal with

You are now in the group that defaults on some part of their credit 87% of the time. Landlords just go with the odds. If a landlord could evict someone in a reasonable amount of time, you might have a chance. But with all the bureaucracy put into the system these days, landlords just don't want to deal with it. I know politicians think they are helping the underclass but they really aren't. Nobody wants to take a chance with them. If evictions were easier, you would have an easier time finding a place.

I don't know what is available in your state, in some states, you can do extended stay hotels if you stay in transient (hotel guest) status and don't transition into tenant status so they can still remove you with 24 hour notice. So you may have to move every 3 or 4 weeks until you get your credit reestablished.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanwriter View Post

If your employer was cutting your pay, why didn't you get a second or third job? Flipping burgers would've paid that car payment/house payment.

FICO may not be fair, but there's a difference between low score due to no credit and a low score due to bad credit. You fall in the latter box and will have a hard time renting/buying for at least 5 yrs.

FYI: They do take more than just your score in consideration....they take your credit report/public records and base their decision on what they find.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we will not take anyone who has demonstrated EITHER an inability to pay or a lack of willingness to pay. not my job to play detective and figure out why and whether or not there were circumstances . your out!

Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
These days that FICO score is King. Doesn't matter to the credit bureaus why you are late with your payment: layoff, serious illness, death of a family member, it's about that score, 'bout that score.

You are permitted to post something on the credit report regarding listed items. For example: if you were late paying your XYZ bill because it was lost in the mail you can state that. If you are currently disputing a charge you can also post a statement about that. However if you post too many statements, it just looks like you are making excuses.

Try to find a private owner who doesn't run a credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting