Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times

Advertisements

We rented a place via VRBO for 7 days. We had to go a full 24 hours without heat (in winter, nights dipping to 10 degrees). The owner was traveling and it was 24-hours before the heat was back. (It was very cold inside and since we didn't hear back from owner immediately, we were looking into booking a hotel.)

What percentage of the week rental do you think would be fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
You did stay there, so suffered no financial loss.
I would start with a request for some consideration and see what's offered.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
What does your rental agreement say? Why did you lose heat (i.e. through the owner's negligence, through a power outage, or what)? What did the owner say/do after you notified him/her that you had no heat? For what part of the "24 hours without heat" were you actually IN the house/condo/whatever you rented? (I assume since it was a vacation rental that you weren't there for a big chunk of time.)

You also say you were "looking into" booking a hotel, which I take to mean you didn't actually DO that, so you aren't actually out any money. (I'm not suggesting that you weren't inconvenienced.)

Depending on your answers to the above questions, you may or may not be "eligible" for some sort of discount. I would think the first step would be to actually TALK to the owner?!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM

The question is: what % of the weekly rental would be fair? 10%?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it is like eating a meal and then saying you know i really found the meat tough so im knocking 15% off the bill.

we once stayed at the best western in new hope pa. the fuse on the pole blew and left us with no power for many hours.

when we went to check out we asked for a discount for the hard ship and were declined. they said they would give us a few more hours until check out.

i found out this fuse was an on going problem and others had the same issue. wrote corporate and was told if we had left we would have gotten a refund but since we didnt't basically to bad, sorry for your trouble.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is like eating a meal and then saying you know i really found the meat tough so im knocking 15% off the bill.

we once stayed at the best western in new hope pa. the fuse on the pole blew and left us with no power for many hours.

when we went to check out we asked for a discount for the hard ship and were declined. they said they would give us a few more hours until check out.

i found out this fuse was an on going problem and others had the same issue. wrote corporate and was told if we had left we would have gotten a refund but since we didnt't basically to bad, sorry for your trouble.
So are you saying you eat food and then ask for a discount because of poor quality? Since that was your comparison after all.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 AM

why would you think that is something i did?

i don't but that is the analogy. usually if you do not complain up front about something you stand little chance at the end unless it is just by the whim of whomever you are asking for a discount.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

why would you think that is something i did?

You made the comparison with the original poster and then you said you did the exact same thing at hotel, so I assumed you would have done that since you made the comparison.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Thanks for your responses, but none answered the question.

I am in dialogue with the owner and just want to know, what type of discount would be fair to ask? He may deny it and if he does, I'll take it from there.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You made the comparison with the original poster and then you said you did the exact same thing at hotel, so I assumed you would have done that since you made the comparison.
well not having electricity, water or bathrooms in our room for 14 hours certainly can be a bargaining point ,with no where else to go in the area we were held capitive but i understood when they did not do anything for us.

i thought it would have been a score in points for their customer service if they did.

but they did not and i never mentioned it again..

however i have not stayed at a best western now in more then 15 years of travel because their decision did not make me feel important as a customer and now it is my decision not to use them.

i find marriot is very responsive on their own when things are not quite right and i feel like a valued customer when nothing even needs to be said..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting