Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichards31 View Post
I'm actually the tenant
This is the first time you've made that clear. See what happens when you play games? Whichever you are, the answers have been pretty consistent. You lost in court. Good luck to you on the appeal. You'll need it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM

155 posts, read 564,358 times
Your LL will send the SD to the last know address, many times it is the address where you rented,...put in a Change of Adddress with the Post Office they deliver mail not FB...bet the SD letter has been returned to sender.

State laws are different as per days of accounting...

Carpets have a 15 year life, and can be pro rated, but if the damage is in the middle ofthe room and can not be repaired it may need to be repalced..

The more detailed the accounting is the more it will cost you, so did you leave it so the new tenants just move in, or was their work to be done...it was your choice.

Tort claims can be filed up to 7 years, for damages. in my state by the LL. your question was notifications of SD accounting, 2 different things.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Question well...let me ask ya...

Quote:
The landlord and I have always communicated via Facebook since they live in another state. I don't see why its any different than email. I can print the entire facebook conversation. It states clear as day on the Landlord Tenant act of 1951 that the landlord has 30 days to give me the list or shall forfeit all rights to bring suit against the tenant for damages. Am I correct?
if it states 'clear as day' then why are you asking?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
if it states 'clear as day' then why are you asking?
He's already been ruled against in court but is trying to bolster his case for an appeal of the ruling - a waste of time in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 23,666 times
If the landlord gave you notification that additional repairs were needed and the total amount would exceed the security deposit, then the 30 days is usually not applicable. It varies from state to state.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:13 PM

204 posts, read 388,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToDiego View Post
If the landlord gave you notification that additional repairs were needed and the total amount would exceed the security deposit, then the 30 days is usually not applicable. It varies from state to state.
Old thread but... This is definitely not true in New Mexico and I seriously doubt it's true in any other state either.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
I live in PA and from what I understand the landlord must submit a list of damages within 30 days from the end of the lease. I did give them my new address via facebook before the end of my lease. My lease ended the last day of June and I did not receive a list of damages until October 23rd. This list is very vague as well. No itemization. There were damages to the carpets but they are trying to charge me for the entire replacement fee of the new carpeting. We lived there for 3 years and the house was empty for a couple years before we moved in. I don't know how long the previous owner lived there or how old the carpeting is. From what I gathered while researching, carpet has a useful life span but I can't seem to find any law that states this is PA. My questions are as follows:

Since the landlord didn't give me the list of damages within 30 days they can't take me for damages correct?

Is there a law for useful life of carpeting?

I am in no means trying to get out of paying damages. I admit there are some but according to my list of replacement costs it is way less than they are asking for. If they are not allowed to pursue costs because of the 30 day rule I would still pay them for the damages according to my calculations.

Any help would be appreciated.
All my forwarding addresses must be in writing on the notice to terminate. I don't use Facebook so that message may never get to me. Not that I would accept it.
You need to provide a proper forwarding address.

Since you got the refund and you fusageee you need to start the proper chain of procedure to ask for your money back. So demand letter, then if that doesn't work court filing then court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting