Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 72,580 times

Advertisements

The apartment complex is now renovating directly below me. It literally sounds like there is someone jack hammering underneath me and I am wondering if that is what they are doing. It is a very loud vibrating sound. My building is old and there are concrete walls. Anyway, thank God I am not on nightshift or I definitely would complain. I am literally forced out of my apartment during the day because it is so obnoxious and I'm not kidding, it is nothing like outside street noise, this is soo much worse. Even though the apartment isn't physically vibrating, it sounds like it should be. Now, granted, I don't mind leaving the apartment but it begets the question. If the noise is so obnoxiously loud, that I am literally forced out of my own living quarters, do you think there is any legal action I could take? Could I present my case to management and ask them to cut my rent a few hundred bucks? I currently pay 840$ for a single bedroom which is extremely pricey, but not so much for the area. I pay my electric and heat. New management took over this building when I signed up and the new company has money (hence the renovations). So, I was thinking, since I am basically putting up with this ridiculousness in order for the company to eventually reap the benefits by charging even more rent in the future, isn't it only right of me to ask for a cut in rent while this is going on? If so, how much should I ask for? If they say no, is there any legal ramifications? I am trying to get some documentation of the noise in my apartment just in case.

I have no idea how long this is going to take either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Instead of asking for a rent concession try and position yourself in a fashion that they offer it. Tell them they need to move you to another comparable unit immediately where you can enjoy living in your home. They won't want to do this and likely will try and placate you in some way which most likely would be rent concession or other things you might find amenable. Don't stop complaining.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Legally there is nothing much you can do as the renovations are taking place during regular business hours. You can certainly check your city ordinances but I think you'll find that you have no recourse. You can ASK for some relief from the landlord but there's no obligation on his part to accommodate you either financially or by moving you temporarily to another unit.

As far as how long the renovation is going to take, why don't you just simply ask?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
The threads that come up on this forum often make me crack up..

"PLEASE HELP, MY SLUM-LORD WON'T FIX ANYTHING OR DO REPAIRS!"

down to..

"PLEASE HELP, MY LANDLORD IS DOING TOO MANY IMPROVEMENTS & REPAIR!!!"

Guess what, the place will be nicer and more expensive, which means that its going to attract a certain type of tenant, which usually, is the type of tenant that you want living next to you.

You make it sound like they are making noise during business hours. This is allowed, and not much you can do to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillseeker25
"New management took over this building when I signed up and the new company has money (hence the renovations). So, I was thinking, since I am basically putting up with this ridiculousness in order for the company to eventually reap the benefits by charging even more rent in the future, isn't it only right of me to ask for a cut in rent while this is going on?"
CHA-CHING!!! DOLLAH DOLLAH BILL Y'ALL!

Unless these reparations are on going for at least a month, and have at least another month or more left in them, you are just looking for an easy payout.

Last edited by CarlitosBala; 01-14-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
The threads that come up on this forum often make me crack up..

"PLEASE HELP, MY SLUM-LORD WON'T FIX ANYTHING OR DO REPAIRS!"

down to..

"PLEASE HELP, MY LANDLORD IS DOING TOO MANY IMPROVEMENTS & REPAIR!!!"
Uh, maybe they could have not rented the place out if they knew they'd be jackhammer? Or offered them a different place to LIVE in? Dam, that might actually take a conscience.

Quote:
This is allowed, and not much you can do to stop them.
Ha, typical slum lord attitude. Jackhammer away!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Uh, maybe they could have not rented the place out if they knew they'd be jackhammer? Or offered them a different place to LIVE in? Dam, that might actually take a conscience.

Ha, typical slum lord attitude. Jackhammer away!
Yes, you can insult me all you want, if it'll help you sleep at night, but I think here we have a case of a woman adding quite a bit of color to her story, and looking for some free monies in the process.

You notice how there are hardly any details here, and we are presented with a single side of the story as well. And this makes me a "conscience-less slum lord"? for not foaming at the mouth and demanding that "the company that has new money share it with this random internet poster"??

Frankly, Its ironic that your screen name is what it is.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Frankly, Its ironic that your screen name is what it is.
It provided me with my first laugh of the day!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can always ask.

Management does not owe you anything for renovations, unless they are working inside your apartment to a degree that it is uninhabitable. For example, the only bathroom has been removed. But you don't know what they will say unless you ask them.

I suggest that you be happy that your new management company is going to do repairs and keep the property upgraded. It will be a nicer place to live.

$840 is not a lot of money for rent in most places. Expenses to maintain an apartment building are high and there is the mortgage and insurance to be paid. It's not true that the landlord is putting all your rent into his own pocket.

If you ask for a rent reduction, I suggest that you be reasonible and polite abput it. If they are upgrading, they might be tempted to raise rents. It would be sad if they asked you to move so they could upgrade your apartment and get more rent for it. Most landlords like to keep their good tenants, but if someone is going to be asked to leave, it will be the difficult tenant first to go.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Nah, you are going to have to put up with it. They have a right to make construction noise during reasonable hours of the day.

At least you don't have to live in an apartment while they are upgrading the outside where your balcony is on stilts while upgrading it, and you cannot open your windows (the only source of air) for 6 months or more, while they are upgrading the balconies. (true story happened in an apartment complex near me). the tenants there could NOT move out of the lease nor get any concessions for their trouble.

But you can always ask what are some choices in the matter. all they can do is say no.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Less than 6 feet from my friends bedroom window the neighbor is doing extensive foundation work and repairs... it is a sloped property and it could take 4 months.

My friend is a night nurse and finds it impossible to get any sleep.

She called the city and someone came right out... looked it over and said to call if the noise happens outside business hours and gave her a copy of a noise ordinance.

As far as the city is concerned... the new neighbor making the repairs is doing everything by the book... permits, engineers, licensed trades people, no work at night or on Sunday... etc.

Sometimes there isn't much that can be done unless a local ordinance is repeatedly violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting