Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM

12 posts, read 88,723 times

Advertisements

I am a new landlord. I requested that our tenant of 3 years move out of the house so I may put it up for sale. The tenant moved out a few days before the end of lease and sent me her new address via Facebook. We have always communicated through Facebook because it was easier. Since I live in another state I had a friend do a walk through of the house. Numerous items were damages because of the tenants dogs. Cabinets were chewed on, carpets were stained and the yard had burn spots from urine. There was a $750 pet deposit but it does not cover the costs of the repairs. I could not arrive to the home to begin work for 2 weeks after the lease ended. I wanted to get the repairs finished to have the correct damage costs sent to the tenant. It was brought to my attention from a friend that I can not pursue damages since the 30 days have expired. Is this true?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,487,305 times
This is true. Tenant Rights Learn your laws.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,453,820 times
Your state landlord tenant laws are probably linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and you need to check them. Most states require that you return the security deposit to your tenant within 30 days from the end of the lease, along with a written explanation and receipts for any deductions. Check the particulars for your state. If you haven't abided by them you cannot now make any deductions for anything and must immediately send your tenant the full amount of the security deposit.

Hint for the future - read your state landlord tenant laws and understand your responsibilities as a landlord. It'll save you a lot of future headaches. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Even if there is damage done? I kept the $750 pet deposit and applied it towards the balance of damages but the remaining damage if over $2000. Are they able to sue me for the $750 as well as get out of paying for the damage?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichards31 View Post
I am a new landlord. I requested that our tenant of 3 years move out of the house so I may put it up for sale. The tenant moved out a few days before the end of lease and sent me her new address via Facebook. We have always communicated through Facebook because it was easier. Since I live in another state I had a friend do a walk through of the house. Numerous items were damages because of the tenants dogs. Cabinets were chewed on, carpets were stained and the yard had burn spots from urine. There was a $750 pet deposit but it does not cover the costs of the repairs. I could not arrive to the home to begin work for 2 weeks after the lease ended. I wanted to get the repairs finished to have the correct damage costs sent to the tenant. It was brought to my attention from a friend that I can not pursue damages since the 30 days have expired. Is this true?
and on Jan 12... //www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=27731433

Quote:
I live in PA and from what I understand the landlord must submit a list of damages within 30 days from the end of the lease. I did give them my new address via facebook before the end of my lease. My lease ended the last day of June and I did not receive a list of damages until October 23rd. This list is very vague as well. No itemization. There were damages to the carpets but

Any help would be appreciated.
how many different ways are you going to ask?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM

912 posts, read 5,239,129 times
Quote:
Even if there is damage done? I kept the $750 pet deposit and applied it towards the balance of damages but the remaining damage if over $2000. Are they able to sue me for the $750 as well as get out of paying for the damage?

You really messed this up BIG TIME. Please be a more responsible landlord and read the Landlord Tenant Laws for PA and follow them. No judge is going to care about your trials and tribulations, how you are out of state, and what caused your delays. None of those things mattered or affected you while you were cashing those rent checks every month, I don't see why when its time to return/deduct from the security deposit, all of the sudden you can't be bothered.

You have 30 days from the end of lease to submit an itemized cost report to your tenants. At 30 days, you can be sued for up to 3x the security deposit (which frankly, at this point, I'm hoping they sue you). I guess, at best, you need to return the $750 ASAP, and I guess then you could potentially go after the $2k in small claims. You may need to consult an attorney to see if you can do this or not.

Either way, I'm sorry, but the fault lies with you. Pay and learn.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,453,820 times
Quote:
Unless the pet deposit was specifically written as non-refundable you are in fact liable to return it to them since you haven't done what's legally required of you as a landlord. If your tenants aren't familiar with landlord tenant laws you might just get away with keeping it but if I were you I'd return it and eat the rest of the damages. If you start opening up the court can of worms it's likely it'll turn right around on you and you'll be liable for a whole lot more financial loss ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
and on Jan 12... //www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=27731433

how many different ways are you going to ask?
I knew that story was very familiar but didn't follow through and check it. The question is appropriate and goes back to Einstein's definition of insanity.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Sorry guys. Just making sure this forum isn't one sided. Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,035,440 times
A better way to "make sure this forum isn't one sided" is to read the statutes for your state; then you can do a real "test" of us forum folks.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM

15,792 posts, read 21,302,505 times
Quote:
Sorry guys. Just making sure this forum isn't one sided. Thanks for all your help!
It has nothing to do with being "one-sided", unless that side is with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting