Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times

Advertisements

In the past my LL has always either met me or stopped by my unit to pick up cash, which is a total PITA. Last month he asked for the rent a week early and I said fine, but it would have to be by check. He then sent me a note stating it was a one time courtesy to pay by check, which I thought was rude, since I was doing him a favor. I know my lease states I have to pay by cashiers check or by cash. And no, I don't bounce checks, and my account is 20 years old.

So, I get a call from his assitant asking about the rent, and I said I would drop it at his post office. Then she calls back, to walk me through his "procedure." He expects me to go into the post office and ask for someone by name, hand deliver it, and then call him. I told the assistant that wasn't going to happen. I could drop it at the post office or if that wasn't good enough I'll send it certified, that late charges would even start until 4 days after it was late, per the lease. She was trying to argue with me, and I said if he has a problem, put it in writing, and mail it, goodbye, and hung up.

She then called back and said to expect a call from the LL, and that I should have allowed her to finish, and how dare I hang up.

I know it takes longer to send via certified, but I know this will protect me, and it should get there by the due date, not counting the 4 day grace period. I find this ridiculous and insulting. And for anyone that remembers my other threads, I put an offer in on another home, so I will be moving asap.

Going to his post office in a different city is about a 30 minute roundtrip drive, a major imposition for me, which I was willing to do. Waiting in line could take another 1/2 hour easily. Now, I'm thinking I'll just mail it certified from the one down the street, since I know that will protect me.

I doubt I'll rent again, but the worst thing that can happen is he'll claim I'm uncooperative, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
...and I said if he has a problem, put it in writing, and mail it, goodbye, and hung up.

Now, I'm thinking I'll just mail it certified... since I know that will protect me.
I doubt I'll rent again, but the worst thing that can happen is he'll claim I'm uncooperative, right?

The Doors | People Are Strange (Official Video) - YouTube

Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
How absurd. My tenants are my customers and as long as they pay on time and their checks don't bounce they can walk it over, drive it over, mail it or deposit in my bank. Sending certified is overkill but that's fine, too.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Your landlord is not declaring the rental income.
And has a cash flow problem somewhere else in his life.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That's what I and the other tenants suspect, and I don't even mind getting it in early, but then he should offer to pick it up. I also think he makes it as difficult as possible, so that we'll meet up to pay cash, and buy him a meal, so it might just be he's crazy and cheap.

I know it will anger him if I sent it certified, but I feel like it's the best way to ensure I'm legally covered.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Absolutely. He's asking you to pay the rent early but telling you exactly how to do it? I would send him a polite email documenting his request and your subsequent conversations and advising him that this isn't convenient and, in accordance with the terms of your lease agreement and past practice, he can come by and pick up the rent. He's got some bloody nerve!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM

155 posts, read 564,358 times
Report him to the IRS, doubt he is reporting it...

Pay him with a cashiers check and put it in the mail...make him sign for it...

You can also direct deposit it into his checking account,,

Never pay cash...unless you get a reciept..

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Report him to the IRS, doubt he is reporting it...

Pay him with a cashiers check and put it in the mail...make him sign for it...

You can also direct deposit it into his checking account,,

Never pay cash...unless you get a reciept..
I have always received a receipt for rent.

The whole thing was a PITA. It was in his post office box the day before it was due, and he still woke me up bright and early instead of checking to see if it was there as promised. Argh!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
He sounds like a jerk, good thing you are moving. I agree w/ everyone else, he sounds shady and doesn't want the rent documented....taxes, or maybe he is in foreclosure. Have a happy move.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
I wouldn't have done it either and I also wouldn't have agreed to pay a week in advance. The NERVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting