U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM

24,671 posts, read 62,892,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentred View Post
This is what I expected for the most part. She has no logical reason to evict over this unless she felt she could get more for the unit, I would likely pay a bit more myself if she wanted that as a bargining chip. It takes a lot of time to rerent it, and the fact that I am no longer bound by the 12 month lease so I don't have to pay her for that time *ie back rent*. I don't plan to hide either my GF or my roomate if she asks me to come clean. Everyone who has stayed at these set of duplexes (about 5 of them) have been here for a really long time, with the exception of one guy who moved out after a year. There isn't a high turnover, it's almost a community, I know many of the people on the block outside of the 5 duplexes. Spring Lake is community of about 14,000 people when you take the township into consideration. It'a wrapped around a lake, next to lake Michigan. It's a very quiet cozy community.
Yes, she does have both a logical reasoning and a legal reasoning which escapes you because you seem to be mired in a bunch of erroneous emotional reasoning bereft of any understanding of business sense coupled with ignorance of your state landlord tenant laws. Shuck off the emotions and the "what you think should be" clouds which are detrimentally affecting your judgement and deal with the legal reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 PM

8,782 posts, read 7,959,258 times
nothing your wrote matters except that you have another person LIVING in the same place and failed to inform your LL.
if i was to put myself in that LL's shoes in this situation, it would have shown me i shouldn't be trusting you.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,077 times
Well I don't know except for lit, you guys very angry cynical, and rely on laws to guide your morality. You think there was no extenuating circumstances in my decisions. I use a combination of emotion, and logic. I'm fully aware of the laws, I'm fully aware of contracts. I'm also fully aware of how people react, I used to be a sociology major, until I needed to pay for the bills. I can pay for this place all by myself, I don't like being alone. Money isn't an issue at all, I just don't like going it alone. I understand law serves a purpose, to set the pace of whats socially acceptable, but emotions are far more stronger than contract.

I bid you fellows adieu.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM

31,327 posts, read 69,436,707 times
Quote:
You think there was no extenuating circumstances in my decisions. I use a combination of emotion, and logic. I'm fully aware of the laws, I'm fully aware of contracts. I'm also fully aware of how people react, I used to be a sociology major, until I needed to pay for the bills. I can pay for this place all by myself, I don't like being alone. Money isn't an issue at all, I just don't like going it alone. I understand law serves a purpose, to set the pace of whats socially acceptable, but emotions are far more stronger than contract.
Maybe asking your question in the relationship forum will work out better for you?
Try that.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,106,302 times
Quote:
Well I don't know except for lit, you guys very angry cynical, and rely on laws to guide your morality. You think there was no extenuating circumstances in my decisions. I use a combination of emotion, and logic. I'm fully aware of the laws, I'm fully aware of contracts. I'm also fully aware of how people react, I used to be a sociology major, until I needed to pay for the bills. I can pay for this place all by myself, I don't like being alone. Money isn't an issue at all, I just don't like going it alone. I understand law serves a purpose, to set the pace of whats socially acceptable, but emotions are far more stronger than contract.

I bid you fellows adieu.
Would you feel it is ethical to pay for a movie ticket and then open the back door and sneak your gf and buddy in?

Your LL would very likely have had ZERO issue with them moving in if she had been able to add them to the lease. She maybe would have increased the rent slightly.

There is no justification for your behavior. You believe that because it was uncomfortable for you to ask this justifies the financial exposure you've put the owner of the property in. That you want to justify your behavior and won't take responsibility for your dishonesty is irksome.

I would not advise that you jeopardize potentially having an eviction on your record by ignoring this and waiting to get caught. Your LL could raise your rent to recoup the period you hid additional tenants or to encourage you to move. Don't assume that it sitting open for a few months isn't worth it to a LL to get an untrustworthy tenant out.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM

5,046 posts, read 8,496,596 times
The possibility also exists that when you go to rent another apartment, your current landlord is going to give you a less-than-stellar recommendation due to your inability to follow the terms of your lease.

Actions DO have consequences.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM

9,785 posts, read 21,764,314 times
She has every right to evict you and your little friends. You moved two more ppl into HER unit wihout adding them to the lease...I'm sure somewhere your lease addresses this.

So...get them on the lease or move them out....or sit back, suck your thumb and be formally evicted by the court. You decide and have fun with that.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM

9,785 posts, read 21,764,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe asking your question in the relationship forum will work out better for you?
Try that.

Im glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this...I laughed right out loud.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,490,939 times
You want an emotional response? I'll pretend I'm your landlady. Ok, you are all evicted. If you lied about this what else have you lied about? Since you lied once how I know you won't lie again? When your next LL contacts me for a reference I'll tell them what you did. Good luck moving back with your parents.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM

155 posts, read 503,580 times
It is all about the money, you moved them in for money and a little favors, the LL deserves extra money...and favors always cost others. you should offer to pay...and share the love...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or