U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM

26,067 posts, read 34,445,522 times

Advertisements

I'd evict you. As to what your own landlord is gong to do, I don't read minds.

The 2 additional persons moved in immediately without being screened which is a pretty good indication that you and they knew they would not pass the screening process. So what is their issue? Eviction on their record? Felony convictions? Terrible credit? Horrible landlord references?

Not that it matters. you are deceitful and you refuse to follow the terms of your lease, so I'd kick you out. You would not be getting a good landlord reference, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,198,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentred View Post
I have a rented a unit since May 2011. It was just me, but the lease was open to add more people. It is a two bedroom in West Michigan. In May of 2011 I moved my girlfriend in, and got a roommate. I did not notify the landlord, because I just am so meek, and scared of authority. I have a good credit score, right now it's 6 months past my lease. I'm on a month to month defacto contact. My landlord recently found out I have a roommate, but not that my girlfriend stays with me. Again it is a two bedroom. We keep it super clean, there is no damage to the unit. We always pay rent early. The person who knew she found out said she was going to get in touch with me. My landlord is a female real estate agent in her mid 40's. It takes about two months to rent out these duplexs they are not in high demand. I'm just wondering from a psychological point (NOT LAW) where she might be coming from. What she most likely will do (Not what she could). Again I'm not interested in law. We have always been very quiet, and clean. The three of us are in our early mid twenties. We have two vehicals in the driveway. I mean I figured she would have to know by now, because of the extra truck. Anyway the neighborhood is an exurb *not quite rural* about 40 miles northwest of grand rapids.

The law is what you should be concerned about, not imagining what psychological angles your realtor might be playing. I know as far as my days go, I'm way too busy to spend time with any mind games! What's in your lease? That's where she's at.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,198,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? You can't afford the place by yourself?
If that's the case she's better off with a tenant who can afford it.

My policy in this sort of share situation was always a hard limit on the number of people...
not to exceed the number of bedrooms in a unit.

I don't care who is sleeping with whom or how they divvy up the space between themselves...
but if 3 people want to live together there needs to be no less than 3 bedrooms.
And each of these 3 approved and on those lease tenants then must be able to afford 50% (not 1/3).

Good luck working it out.
is that sort of thing allowed under your local occupancy ordinances? I never heard of limiting 1 person per bedroom before as being industry standard.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

115 posts, read 335,626 times
If you're otherwise a good tenant and pay on time, my guess is she'll ask for more $ or just let it be. I've rented in less desirable areas before and the landlords were tickled to get a check on time every month. Don't ask don't tell.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM

31,343 posts, read 69,548,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
is that sort of thing allowed under your local occupancy ordinances?
I never heard of limiting 1 person per bedroom before as being industry standard.
Nope. That policy was the result of hard learned lessons.
Tolerated w/r/t law by being a small operator.

The premise is that when independent adults go in together it's inevitable something will come
up to disrupt their plan. When one in that 3 goes... the other 2 (and I) know they can afford to
carry on by themselves until a replacement can be found (if one is then desired). If something
resembling a couple has issues then one of them has that 3rd bedroom to move into.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 PM

2,091 posts, read 6,758,541 times
You are not interested in the law? I can assure you that your landlord is. If simply speaking on basic principals and not law, you have been lying. This now makes you a liar. I for one prefer not to rent to those who lie. There are many landlords, including me, who keep money in the bank if they have to evict and may have to spend it to cover the rent, the court, etc for people like you. As an agent and landlord myself I know that having sublets not on the lease is worse then giving 30 days for them to get out. Seriously. Grow up.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM

118 posts, read 794,172 times
I don't like surprises, but I am flexible. I like a tenant who maintains open communication. If he wants to add a co-tenant, tell me, and I'll meet that person and see if he fits. Usually it's not a problem, but I still want to meet the new person first.

My current tenants do exactly that.

Now, the variable is that your place is low demand, so I wouldn't be quick to evict. That's lost income.
If you're a good tenant, chances are we can work something out.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM

26,067 posts, read 34,445,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
is that sort of thing allowed under your local occupancy ordinances? I never heard of limiting 1 person per bedroom before as being industry standard.
Yes, landlords can limit non-related adults to 1 person per bedroom. It is only children where federal law says a landlord must accept 2 children per bedroom. ( In Oregon, the 2 children must be of the same gender).

Except in California, a landlord can also make each individual roommate qualify to rent, including the amount of income. (In California, it must be the total of all the roommate incomes to qualify for income).

There are very few types of people that a landlord can't turn down just because he doesn't want them. Roommates are not a protected class and a landlord can turn them away all day long for no other reason than he doesn't like the color of their shoes. As long as they don't fall under one of the protected classes, and even the protected classes must meet the rental criteria..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM

24,671 posts, read 62,953,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, landlords can limit non-related adults to 1 person per bedroom. It is only children where federal law says a landlord must accept 2 children per bedroom. ( In Oregon, the 2 children must be of the same gender).

Except in California, a landlord can also make each individual roommate qualify to rent, including the amount of income. (In California, it must be the total of all the roommate incomes to qualify for income).

There are very few types of people that a landlord can't turn down just because he doesn't want them. Roommates are not a protected class and a landlord can turn them away all day long for no other reason than he doesn't like the color of their shoes. As long as they don't fall under one of the protected classes, and even the protected classes must meet the rental criteria..
The distinction is between a "licensed" landlord who has more than one property and whose operation is entirely dependent on that LL's state law as well as federal mandates versus a private landlord whose restrictions are way less severe but are still governed by basic state and Federal laws. A private LL with only a couple of units can legally turn down applicants for any reason and can also limit the number of residents by contract in that space whether it be a 2,3 or 4 bedroom place. Landlord decrees only one person per bedroom? His prerogative and totally and legally sustainable.

The OP is obviously renting from a private landlord and has screwed up. It seems clear from his last contribution to this thread that he doesn't like the information he was given and cares not to answer the comments he's received.

He clearly signed out (Post #13 dated 1/20/13) so this is all basically a done deal and really not worthy of further discussion.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,089 times
turbulentred here. Well I'm a homeowner now and my Landlord was fine with my decisions. I left in great shape, and got my deposit back.

I went to college for 4 years for pscyh/tech/soc/legal, laws this laws that it's all psychology in the end. You are all also the most brutal people I have ever seen online.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-27-2015 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting