U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 PM

9,785 posts, read 8,689,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentred View Post
turbulentred here. Well I'm a homeowner now and my Landlord was fine with my decisions. I left in great shape, and got my deposit back. All of you talking about me being evicted, and having to move back with parents **** off. I went to college for 4 years for pscyh/tech/soc/legal, laws this laws that it's all psychology in the end. You are all also the most brutal people I have ever seen online.

Your LL was fine with what you did.

Good for you and her.

I just found out that tenants (group of 4) of mine moved a friend in. They didn't tell me. They didn't even feel that they "slipped up" when they did.

All I asked is that he either move out or sign the lease. The rent wouldn't have been higher if 5 had moved in originally, so no skin off of my back.

The issue for me, as a LL, is that I don't have water meters separated per unit. Way too expensive to do and 99% of LLs in the city my properties are in don't separate (old homes from the 1800s-early 1900s that have been split up in to units).

My 2nd and 3rd floor tenants have been paying for the 1st floors "extra" that they didn't tell me about.

Not a huge deal, but not fair to my other tenants.

So he signed the lease.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 10:10 PM

33,031 posts, read 23,965,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? You can't afford the place by yourself?
If that's the case she's better off with a tenant who can afford it.

My policy in this sort of share situation was always a hard limit on the number of people...
not to exceed the number of bedrooms in a unit.

I don't care who is sleeping with whom or how they divvy up the space between themselves...
but if 3 people want to live together there needs to be no less than 3 bedrooms.
And each of these 3 approved and on those lease tenants then must be able to afford 50% (not 1/3).

Good luck working it out.

??? ??? ??? ???

Most of my living situations have involved more than one person per bedroom; my state specifically allows two per bedroom plus one more. (e.g. 2*2 + 1 = 5 in a 2BR)

I'm currently in a house with a total of 4 singles in 4 rooms, plus one couple in a different room. (6 people in 5 rooms)

Previously in a house with 4BR and 8 people (two were couch surfers) and before that in a 5BR house with 10 people. (2 couples in 2 rooms, 3 singles in 3 rooms, and 3 who slept on recliners in the living room)

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd evict you. As to what your own landlord is gong to do, I don't read minds.

The 2 additional persons moved in immediately without being screened which is a pretty good indication that you and they knew they would not pass the screening process. So what is their issue? Eviction on their record? Felony convictions? Terrible credit? Horrible landlord references?

Not that it matters. you are deceitful and you refuse to follow the terms of your lease, so I'd kick you out. You would not be getting a good landlord reference, either.

I know I wouldn't pass screening because I have terrible credit, but I don't see the issue in my own situation because I always pay the rent on time and have not had rental issues (no damage, no breaches, no evictions, no criminal record, etc) - what risk do I impose? Like I'm going to go on a rampage and stop paying rent?

(Two old money judgments on credit report and no credit score due to 10-year lack of new credit activity other than the old judgments were renewed a few years ago - FICO scores disappear after six months of inactivity.)

Old 11-26-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
It is all about the money, you moved them in for money and a little favors, the LL deserves extra money...and favors always cost others. you should offer to pay...and share the love...

Doesn't it depend on the specific terms of the lease contract?

I've had only one lease in 30 years where this was addressed in the lease.

At the last house in which I lived, other housemates moved in friends and booty buddies. This made the 1-bath house more crowded, and reduced my quality of life, but the issue was not addressed in the lease.

If it's not addressed in the lease, did either I or the landlord deserve extra money?

Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM

22,043 posts, read 25,155,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentred View Post
Well I don't know except for lit, you guys very angry cynical, and rely on laws to guide your morality. You think there was no extenuating circumstances in my decisions. I use a combination of emotion, and logic. I'm fully aware of the laws, I'm fully aware of contracts. I'm also fully aware of how people react, I used to be a sociology major, until I needed to pay for the bills. I can pay for this place all by myself, I don't like being alone. Money isn't an issue at all, I just don't like going it alone. I understand law serves a purpose, to set the pace of whats socially acceptable, but emotions are far more stronger than contract.

I bid you fellows adieu.
Let me translate the part.
While I understand we as a society have laws and while they have a purpose in society, my personal feelings and emotions as to what I want or desire should at any time superceede any laws or rules placed on me but anyone.

Lol. Just so you understand you're not in a sociology class. If you were my tenant I would simply give your notice to move out. Why? Because you broke the contract you agreed to uphold. I don't care about your extenuating circumstances. We had a agreement. If you no longer wish to abide by that agreement let me know so I can make other arrangements. You have no idea how long it takes her to rerent or her financial situation.
Bottom line is you broke the contract and no amount of psychobabble changes that.

Let me ask you a question since you seem to really be attempting to show us how much more of a superior thinker you are. Now let's assume your LL decided she's not gonna uphold her part. She stops taking care of things, she raises rent every month, has unreasonable demands, and decides to rent to some two legged animals next for who party all night.
Now your lease states you have the right to a peaceful and quiet enjoyment, LL is responsible to take care of xyz repairs. I'm willing to bet you would not be happy. In fact I bet you would be downright upset. Because LL now broke the agreement and trust you placed in her when you signed your agreement. It's no different than what you did.
Au revoir mon ami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting