Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,370,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemyplace View Post
haha I wrote it I haven't given it yet, and if potential tenants want it now, ALL THE BETTER! They can take it off my hands sooner.

You should ask the landlord about this. Tell them you will leave as soon as the new renters want to move in. this will work best for you.

At the same time, ask the landlord what kind of early termination fee he/she would charge if you left before a tenant moved in. Maybe it's just 1 month rent. You never know until you ask. If it's not spelled out in your lease or state law, then it is negotiable. Maybe landlord says you owe rent until the expiration of lease. Maybe you ask "how about I pay you a early termination fee of $xxxx lump sum to let me out of the lease early. Is that acceptable?" Then wait for landlord to answer.

If you both agree to an early termination fee, then you don't get any discount if landlord rerents immediately. So it is potentially more money for the landlord if he gets the fee from you and rerents quickly. So you might be ok with this if he has dollar signs for eyes.

Keep in mind, if you move out early (and no fee is agreed), then you owe rent each month it is due as long as landlord is attemping to rerent. Maybe you ask for proof each month before you give your rent (not sure if this is legal), after you left early. You stop paying rent at end of lease or when a new renter moves in, whichever is earlier. You do NOT have to pay all rent up front when you move out. Dont do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Hello Hatemyplace,

Hopefully everything worked out in your favor. I am now in a similar situation. I dread going "home" everyday. I don't cook or bring food in the apartment. Who can live like this. Is it too much to at least have a piece of mind and a decent meal in an apartment you are paying for!? What was the outcome of your situation having to deal with the mice in your apartment?

Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,492,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemyplace View Post
Hi everyone,

I hate my apartment. It is on a 7th floor walkup, has mice! And just so depressing. I have my lease till June! but I want to move out now! (or Feb or March) Anytime that is early as possible.

But I can't pay for this current apartment and the new apartment, and won't get back my deposit...What do I do?

I am just so miserable here.
It happens to people that you get this buyers remorse a few months after you live in an apartment.

Your lease is a contract that binds you to the begin and end date. You are liable to stay there and pay the rent.

the exceptions to that is - if you and landlord mutually agree to end or change the lease, then the lease can be broken.

You might have to pay a concession rate like the total amount of rent for 1 to 3 months of rent, which is called a rent buyout (look on your lease to see if its there in the small print).. if your monthly rent is $1,000 a month, then the buyout could be $1,000 to $3,000.

You could see if you can find a subletter, to take over your lease, but if it doesn't work out, you are responsible for the rent even if you move, unless you have it in writing that you are no longer responsible for that old rent.

You can see if the landlord is willing to break the lease for any reason without a financial cost.

if your apartment is deemed unhabitable (truly inahbitable, not just something you make up to get out of there), you may be able to break your lease or if the landlord does not fulfill his part of the lease.

But if he/she says no, you are stuck just like everyone else who gets buyers remorse.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,459,247 times
^^^ The thread is from January 2013 and the OP hasn't returned to CD since February 2013.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,220 times
I live in a section 8 apartment in Jacksonville and it's horrible. I moved in and it smelled bad but I had no other choice being a mother of 3 and all my belongs were in a u-haul. I've had at least 20 mice, roaches, fire ants, as well as a mold smell and not to mention the apartment wasn't clean and was full of nets. I'm looking for an option since it's been 30 days now and still no difference . I have a 7 month who has servere eczema all over his body and a nebulizer machine he now use daily because my apartment seem to make him sick. HELP!!!

Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,879,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Harvey View Post
I live in a section 8 apartment in Jacksonville and it's horrible. I moved in and it smelled bad but I had no other choice being a mother of 3 and all my belongs were in a u-haul. I've had at least 20 mice, roaches, fire ants, as well as a mold smell and not to mention the apartment wasn't clean and was full of nets. I'm looking for an option since it's been 30 days now and still no difference . I have a 7 month who has servere eczema all over his body and a nebulizer machine he now use daily because my apartment seem to make him sick. HELP!!!

Call your caseworker. All of these things should've been noticed, by you, when you do the walk thru. Put in a request for pest control, put down your own roach motels and clean your unit.

You had choices...you just made the wrong one.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 AM

20,100 posts, read 16,027,818 times
Quote:
How did it pass the section 8 inspection? Those things tend to be rather stringent.

By the way, you always have a choice. Granted the alternative may seem so bad that it feels like there is no choice, but it is still there nonetheless. I am curious, how did you find yourself with a u-haul and three kids needing such immediate housing that you took a smelly apartment? Section 8 clients are as entitled to a walk through as any other prospective tenant.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 AM

32,502 posts, read 47,478,646 times
Quote:
...... it's been 30 days now and still no difference . .......
Wow. 30 days. In thirty days time, I would have cleaned my apartment up spotless, sprayed the mold with bleach, put out mouse traps and mouse bait (where the kids couldn't reach them), and followed the directions on a tube of Combat Gel for the roaches.

I most certainly wouldn't have sat around for 30 days waiting for someone else to come and clean my apartment-- which no one is going to do for you. I would have put in a written request for pest control and if that didn't get immediate results, I would have done it myself instead of sitting around and complaining about the vermin in my apartment while the mice and roaches bred and increased becasue I did nothing to stop them.

It would cost you about $20 for mouse bait and Combat Gel, combined, but, of course, some hours of your time put into cleaning. Oh, another $3 for a spray bottle of household cleaner. For $23 you would rather sit around and let your kid be sick from the dirt?

You saw the place before you moved in. You should have noted to yourself that if you accepted the apartment, you were going to have to put in some time with cleaning to bring it up to livable standards.

Section 8 is paying your rent, so your options are going to be very limited. Landlords who keep clean, updated, well repaired apartments do not rent to Section 8 tenants, so you are pretty much stuck with whatever you can get, and you should expect to clean the apartment yourself and to be happy that you found any place at all that will accept your voucher. Locally, the people who finally get Section 8 vouchers (after waiting for years to get one) can not find any landlord who will accept them as tenants. You've at least got a roof over your head.

You might want to look around and see if there is any place for you to move to before you get all eager to get out of that place.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,220 times
Section 8 is paying only part of my rent due to the fact that I have a job. I was in. Uhaul because you can not be living in 2 hud housing at one time. So i moved out my apartment and moved into another hud property 24 hours later. By all means I cleaned my apartment with bleach plus other chemicals as well as brought my own traps and bait etc but I can only do so much. I dont think I should have to do there job fully & payvrent still for unbroken and bad living conditions. I called and wrote work orders and asked for pest control but I work all day and someone always says we went in your apartment but nothing is different. I'm not lazy and I know how to accommodate but needed help as far as what to do. I'm being told I can't get another unit and didn't want to get anything put on my name. I dont have a voucher. These apartments go off your income and you walk in and apply. All I needed was answers. I'm saving now and plan on moving asap because nothing has changed. People are so ready to judge and look at you crazy but I just needed direction. Even if hud pays some of my rent, my apartment should not be as if its an outdoor apartment and I'm informed by many neighbor's that they have this same problem with no justice. The girl who stayed in my unit before me up and left because the problem was bad and nothing was ever done. So I did a lot prior to moving in and I've spent well over 300.00 trying to get this apartment liveable but I think management should do something besides tell lies and give run arounds but then ask about rent.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,657,119 times
Wait, this is not making any sense whatsoever. On one hand you state that section 8 is paying part of your rent but you don't have a voucher? You have to have a voucher with sec 8 so you know what your share of the rent is and what portion sec 8 will pay. And if you are on sec 8 then they do inspections on every apartment to make sure they are up to their standards before they will agree to subsidize your rent. You don't just walk into a place, get some kind of discount from the owner and then just rent away without sec 8 being involved. And sec 8 would never allow such conditions.

You got some serious splainin' to do Lucy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting