Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:40 AM

3,959 posts, read 2,573,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Harvey View Post
Section 8 is paying only part of my rent due to the fact that I have a job. I was in. Uhaul because you can not be living in 2 hud housing at one time. So i moved out my apartment and moved into another hud property 24 hours later. By all means I cleaned my apartment with bleach plus other chemicals as well as brought my own traps and bait etc but I can only do so much. I dont think I should have to do there job fully & payvrent still for unbroken and bad living conditions. I called and wrote work orders and asked for pest control but I work all day and someone always says we went in your apartment but nothing is different. I'm not lazy and I know how to accommodate but needed help as far as what to do. I'm being told I can't get another unit and didn't want to get anything put on my name. I dont have a voucher. These apartments go off your income and you walk in and apply. All I needed was answers. I'm saving now and plan on moving asap because nothing has changed. People are so ready to judge and look at you crazy but I just needed direction. Even if hud pays some of my rent, my apartment should not be as if its an outdoor apartment and I'm informed by many neighbor's that they have this same problem with no justice. The girl who stayed in my unit before me up and left because the problem was bad and nothing was ever done. So I did a lot prior to moving in and I've spent well over 300.00 trying to get this apartment liveable but I think management should do something besides tell lies and give run arounds but then ask about rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Wait, this is not making any sense whatsoever. On one hand you state that section 8 is paying part of your rent but you don't have a voucher? You have to have a voucher with sec 8 so you know what your share of the rent is and what portion sec 8 will pay. And if you are on sec 8 then they do inspections on every apartment to make sure they are up to their standards before they will agree to subsidize your rent. You don't just walk into a place, get some kind of discount from the owner and then just rent away without sec 8 being involved. And sec 8 would never allow such conditions.

You got some serious splainin' to do Lucy.
*see section I bolded bolded in first quoted text

I do see poster says it is Section 8 but it does not sound like it is. Sounds like a building that is for low income residents and as she said, she applied for it at the apt, not thru a housing authority. So, she would be payong 30% of her income.

Nikki Harvey, there are (free I think) legal assistance through colleges or charities or libraries?? I am not sure where you would find them. Call a local library, they should be able to direct you.

This is not a healthy and I hope someone can help give you direction! Best wishes!

Last edited by Wild Flower; 10-10-2016 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 03:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Section 8 is paying only part of my rent due to the fact that I have a job. I was in. Uhaul because you can not be living in 2 hud housing at one time. So i moved out my apartment and moved into another hud property 24 hours later. By all means I cleaned my apartment with bleach plus other chemicals as well as brought my own traps and bait etc but I can only do so much. I dont think I should have to do there job fully & payvrent still for unbroken and bad living conditions. I called and wrote work orders and asked for pest control but I work all day and someone always says we went in your apartment but nothing is different. I'm not lazy and I know how to accommodate but needed help as far as what to do. I'm being told I can't get another unit and didn't want to get anything put on my name. I dont have a voucher. These apartments go off your income and you walk in and apply. All I needed was answers. I'm saving now and plan on moving asap because nothing has changed. People are so ready to judge and look at you crazy but I just needed direction. Even if hud pays some of my rent, my apartment should not be as if its an outdoor apartment and I'm informed by many neighbor's that they have this same problem with no justice. The girl who stayed in my unit before me up and left because the problem was bad and nothing was ever done. So I did a lot prior to moving in and I've spent well over 300.00 trying to get this apartment liveable but I think management should do something besides tell lies and give run arounds but then ask about rent.
there's no way you just showed up, applied and moved in, all in a 24 hr period. it takes at least 24 hrs to just approve your application and longer for the credit/background check.

pests aren't that easy to get rid of, especially in a multi family unit. You need to ask your neighbors to put in work orders for pest control as well so your whole building is treated, not just your unit.

if you can't wait for them to do their thing, then talk to them about breaking your lease. It won't be free, so be prepared to cough up some dough. You chose this unit, you knew what you were getting into, and this is what happens when you move on the fly.

Good luck..you definitely need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
I'm glad you wrote back, because that clarifies a few things that didn't make sense. You don't have Section 8, that is when you are given a voucher to suppliment your rent payments to a private landlord. What you are discussing is a government ran or contracted property, often referred to as low-income or affordable housing. Unlike Section 8, where you by design have neighbors who are capable of paying three times as much as you do for the same housing, everyone you live by are in the same or worse financial position than you. It is easier to get into one of these units than getting a Section 8 voucher, in part because you are more likely to encounter the situation you describe. Harsh as this sounds, you are more likely to have a higher percentage of neighbors who don't properly maintain the cleanliness of their home as they should when you live in low-income housing. I feel badly for people like you who do care and try to live in housing conditions most of us take for granted. You really are in a tough position.

Do you know if it is ran directly by your local housing authority or if it has a private contract? Ridiculous as it sounds, you will have a better chance as getting it fixed if it is ran by a private contractor. If it's ran by the government agency you are dealing with an agency that doesn't give a crap and you just need to plan on looking for a new place, if it's ran by a private contractor the agency may not be aware of the problems and can put pressure on the company to fix the problems or lose the contract. Contact your local housing authority, they should have an ombudsman, see if you can set up an appointment. If you can take pictures in that show vermin in the middle of your otherwise clean home it will help bolster your arguement. However, if the pictures display poor housekeeping your complaints, even though they may be legitimate, will not be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting