Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
There are tons of single people making under $20K a year who need a place to live, where do they go?

They get roommates, they live in college dorms, they live at home, they do what my kids did...

If she's only making 20k a yr, the only place she could afford would be in an area you wouldn't want her to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM

115 posts, read 368,873 times
She might qualify for low income housing vouchers to help with rent

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
But she shouldn't. She's got a family that she's apparently in contact with. That's what families are for: to support each other in times of need. Or if she really wants to be on her own, then she does what billions of other people in the world do: she gets a roommate. Suffer for a few years, build some savings, build a career, then get a place of your own. That's the way it should work. Entitlement's a real b****, ain't it?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
It depends on the baggage they have, if they have no debt, then yes is possible to survive off 20K. Otherwise they'd be doing said mentioned above. Or be like myself and wait, until I made enough to live on my own. Its tight but I wouldn't have it any other way.......roomates to me equal a nightmare.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
She could look for what I would call a "non-traditional" apartment, like over a garage, a guest house, a basement apartment with separate entrance, something like that.

Another idea would be to become a "professional" house sitter (living at home between jobs), but if she's young and her responsibility level hasn't been proven, that might be hard to started in.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
There are tons of single people making under $20K a year who need a place to live, where do they go?
1) Parent's house
2) Roommates
3) Drop the "safe neighborhood" requirement

Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post

she better not!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM

115 posts, read 368,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
But she shouldn't. She's got a family that she's apparently in contact with. That's what families are for: to support each other in times of need. Or if she really wants to be on her own, then she does what billions of other people in the world do: she gets a roommate. Suffer for a few years, build some savings, build a career, then get a place of your own. That's the way it should work. Entitlement's a real b****, ain't it?

Im against those for cases like this but the reality is she probably qualifies based on income.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM

266 posts, read 402,764 times
This "entitlement" crap some are speaking of is BS. So what if someone ideally wants to live by themselves? Everyone has preferences about everything. However, if she can't afford it now (which she likely can't), she will have to make a sacrifice if moving out is THAT important to her. Or look for a better job/find a second job. You do what you need to do in order to have the things that mean the most to you. You may not get it right away, but if you want it badly enough and do all you can do to obtain it, then you deserve it.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
This "entitlement" crap some are speaking of is BS. So what if someone ideally wants to live by themselves? Everyone has preferences about everything. However, if she can't afford it now (which she likely can't), she will have to make a sacrifice if moving out is THAT important to her. Or look for a better job/find a second job. You do what you need to do in order to have the things that mean the most to you. You may not get it right away, but if you want it badly enough and do all you can do to obtain it, then you deserve it.
It's only entitlement if a person (not that this person will) goes to the government to subsidize the thing she really, really wants (which is what one person here suggested as a possibility). Heck, I want one of those fancy cars that has the backup assistance and heated seats. Living alone is a luxury just like the fancy car I want. Some people can afford it, some can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting