Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM

218 posts, read 775,071 times

Advertisements

So I am leasing a unit and the neighbor next door came by to take a look at it. She was freaking because she just found out that the tenant before her died. She wants to move out of that place and says she has every right to break the lease due to not being notified of the death.

Here's the thing though - the last tenant did not die IN the unit - died in the hospital.

I don't think the landlord HAD to let her know this before moving in - did he?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
So I am leasing a unit and the neighbor next door came by to take a look at it. She was freaking because she just found out that the tenant before her died. She wants to move out of that place and says she has every right to break the lease due to not being notified of the death.

Here's the thing though - the last tenant did not die IN the unit - died in the hospital.

I don't think the landlord HAD to let her know this before moving in - did he?

Just curious.
Very doubtful, and it would appear she's not a good candidate as a tenant either.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
She was freaking because she just found out that the tenant before her died. She wants to move out of that place and says she has every right to break the lease due to not being notified of the death.
I think that's a pretty ridiculous assumption.

If your neighbor wants to break the lease, there are other, saner ways to do it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
What happened to the previous tennant though ? Did somebody break in and torture them and she bled out for hours before the ambulance came and she died in hospital ?

If the previous tennant was just sick and died in hospital she has no claim to leave IMHO.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM

218 posts, read 775,071 times
Well I'm not going to accept her as a tenant cuz she's crazy - heard other stories about her. AND I think she was just being nosy.

Went into the hospital, never came out (the tenant that died, that is).

You guys as landlords - do you think he should have told her?

Last edited by toopie28; 01-25-2013 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I don't know of any city or state with a disclosure law for prospective tenants. As long as the landlord meets the terms of the lease there is no justification for breaking it.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Whatever you told her ...she'll be sure to blab that to the neighborhood also.

Usually when a neighbor wants to see a place (buying or selling)...they usually have some story they use to get in the door. Most often the story is "my cousing is moving and I am looking at places for him.".

I am sure she was just acting like she had interest in your place....just to get in the door.

Regardless, bypass her without hurting her feelings. You don't want her to be upset with you or feel slighted by you.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Good Grief, No. People die in hospitals everyday unfortunately. I've even heard that people peruse the obits to know what houses, apartments may be available. Why this person would even think that this grounds for breaking a lease is beyond me.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Well I'm not going to accept her as a tenant cuz she's crazy - heard other stories about her. AND I think she was just being nosy.

Went into the hospital, never came out (the tenant that died, that is).

You guys as landlords - do you think he should have told her?
How did your OP go from "neighbor" to "Well, I'm not going to accept her as a tenant"?

Is she trying to get you to let her share your apartment?? I'd not only not et her move in, I wouldn't et her visit me again either. Talk about drama. Hope you get through this w/out a bunch of hassle.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Why would you accept her as a tenant when you said she was a neighbor? Different issue.
In any case, the only thing to disclose is on a seller's statement of property condition. The question there is asking if anyone died an "un-natural" death. Dying in a hospital is no one's business, especially in a rental. Previous tenant's history and reason for vacating are no one's business. Common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting