Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
In my experience, most places seem to get advertised between 15 and 45 days before the lease start date, with a bulk in the 25-30 day period before the lease start.

Private landlords rarely have a place advertised 60 days out, around here anyways.

Start looking 60 days out, but really get on it before the 30 day mark hits, hopefully find a place and give notice to your landlord. Remember to carry a check with you so you can leave a deposit.
I post my vacancies as soon as I am aware of them. I send my tenants a reminder 62 days before their lease is scheduled for renewal (their leases require 60 days' notice). If they say they are not renewing, I tell them I will post the vacancy and advise them 24 hours in advance of a viewing. I usually have the places leased within a couple of weeks -- after 1 to 3 showings -- so it all goes pretty smoothly. Moving days are a bit tight, however, because I usually only have about 12 hours to get the place ready between tenants.

So, I would start looking 60 days out.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Personally, I think it is a different situation when you are talking big apartment complexes vs single family houses/plexes.

For apartments, they won't be able to guarantee you a certain apartment 4 months out, but if they have a waiting list, you would be better to get on it sooner.

If you are looking at single family/plexes, I know in my area, I only know what is going to be available 30-45 days out. And we often don't start advertising places until the last 2 weeks, or even until they are completely vacant.

I agree with wireyourworld. It is annoying to get calls on currently advertised house/plex rentals from people who are looking to move 4 months from now. Sure, I may have SOMETHING for rent 4 months from now, but not that unit, and no, I don't know what at this time. Call me back in 3 months.

But as I said, for apartment complexes, sooner might be better. They have enough that something is usually turning over. I know in my area there are usually a few vacancies in the big complexes at pretty much any given time. So getting your name on one sooner would likely be better.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
In my experience, most places seem to get advertised between 15 and 45 days before the lease start date, with a bulk in the 25-30 day period before the lease start.

Private landlords rarely have a place advertised 60 days out, around here anyways.

Start looking 60 days out, but really get on it before the 30 day mark hits, hopefully find a place and give notice to your landlord. Remember to carry a check with you so you can leave a deposit.

Damm thank you so much for reminding me. Just realized I got rid of all my checks because I started paying my rent online.

So I will be in the bank tomorrow

Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I post my vacancies as soon as I am aware of them. I send my tenants a reminder 62 days before their lease is scheduled for renewal (their leases require 60 days' notice). If they say they are not renewing, I tell them I will post the vacancy and advise them 24 hours in advance of a viewing. I usually have the places leased within a couple of weeks -- after 1 to 3 showings -- so it all goes pretty smoothly. Moving days are a bit tight, however, because I usually only have about 12 hours to get the place ready between tenants.

So, I would start looking 60 days out.....

The lease renewal will be here by feb 9th and I have until March 15th to let them know I;m leaving or staying.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The lease renewal will be here by feb 9th and I have until March 15th to let them know I;m leaving or staying.
I thought you said you already gave notice.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I thought you said you already gave notice.

Nope, will be notified in feb when lease renewal arrives

Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Nope, will be notified in feb when lease renewal arrives
So maybe you'll stay? Did you look at the Philly apartments website I posted earlier in this thread?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
So maybe you'll stay? Did you look at the Philly apartments website I posted earlier in this thread?

After 12 years, it's time for a change and I will not be staying. Unless they lower the rent to 700. lol

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,078 times
Default Move in time frame

Hi, For a March 1, move in date you should be looking for something already. You should start looking 2 months before your move in date.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Poulin View Post
Hi, For a March 1, move in date you should be looking for something already. You should start looking 2 months before your move in date.

It's not March 1st, the move in date is June 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting